Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Digiweb DSL2 package - looking for advice

• 23-10-2005 3:34pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,539 ✭✭✭

New to broadband and I'm looking for some advice on this package. been reading here for the last month or so, and although there doesn't seem to be much mention of their normal phone line DSL, it seems to be the best package for me from what i can see.

http://www.digiweb.ie/broadband_dsl_dsl2.asp?zzz=hdsl

I've done a quick google search on boards.ie seeing as the search here is disabled.
    I live in the middle of the Kildare countryside, so wireless/metro with them, nor cable with NTL is an option as far as i know.

Just a few questions seeing as I'm new to all this...

1) How exactly do I use my normal phone service with the broadband? I assume we just pay our line rental and calls through who we're with now, then pay digiwb for BB only. we wouldn't need any kind of new hardware or handset, or BB compatible handset or anything would we?

2) We've 2 pcs in the house, and would like to use both of these for connecting to the net but would like to use the same line. Is this possible using Digiweb's DSL2 package does anyone know? Neither pc has a network card, do we have to buy a network card regardless to use BB or can the USB router they provide just be plugged into one of the PCs anyway using USB cable? If not, what would be the best way to share the connection between the 2 pcs? They'd be approx. 30m from each other in seperate rooms of a bungalow. Digiweb provides "ADSL Router - USB + Ethernet ports and Easy Config Wizard". Does anyone know if this can be used for sending the connection to 2 pcs, or am I better of just buying 2 wireless network cards for each pc, and then a wireless router and using that, or will i have to use the router that digiweb provide?

3) would the 128kb upload be enough? obviously there's no real way to answer this, but we wouldn't be do any gaming really, maybe the younger brother playing the odd game of Call of Duty but that's about it. Wouldn't be sharing anything using p2p, and probably wouldn't be using that many torrents. it'd mostly be just surfing and downloading files straight from websites. 128kb u/l should be fine for these purposes, shouldn't it?

any help appreciated!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 487 ✭✭digiking

Stay away from usb method, just install network cards in both pcs, And away you go,

128kb/s is more than enough for the average user, This is due to increase dramitically soon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,106 ✭✭✭dar83

digiking wrote:
    128kb/s is more than enough for the average user, This is due to increase dramitically soon.

Could you elaborate on that a bit more? ;)

I've been waiting for an upload speed increase since the sub par bandwidth we have now was announced. 128k is pretty much useless for anything other than browsing and file downloads.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,539 ✭✭✭ghostdancer

if it does increase, would my upload speed be upgraded automatically, or would i be on the old speed? i don't suppose you know of how long i should wait until the u/l gets increased?

so if i install network cards on both pcs, will i just be able to link both of them back to the router using 2 cables and use surf from both PCs at the same time? better to use cables or just go wireless would you say?

don't suppose anyone knows how long after signing up i should be up and running?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,321 ✭✭✭OfflerCrocGod

digiking wrote:
    As long as the average user is only given 128kb then of course it will be enough for the average user.............Increase to what 256? I wouldn't go as far as calling that "dramitically" after all 256 should be standard not 128.

• Registered Users Posts: 705 ✭✭✭-Al-

anyone using digiweb? thinking of getting the dsl2 package myself now that the BT contract is coming to an end.

Digiweb, good?, bad?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 21 beny

-Al- wrote:
    anyone using digiweb? thinking of getting the dsl2 package myself now that the BT contract is coming to an end.

Digiweb, good?, bad?

not bad, so to say
    modem arrived 5 days after ordering, line was already active, no probs with set up, modem works OK, the only problem discovered afrer couple of days is microfilter which came with it is broken(cra**y??) It filters out my phone entirely and in addition to that, dl speeds are lower than with modem plugged straight to the socket
    average dl speeds 170-190 kB/s -Im on the dsl2 too
    no service downtime so far
    generally good service and good value

• Closed Accounts Posts: 632 ✭✭✭Tank Top Fever!

Just get Irish Braodband Ghostie :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,539 ✭✭✭ghostdancer

go way outta that you, i'd be better of sticking with dialup! tanz popped up over in the music section there the other day too!

so does anyone know about this apparent increase for the upload? or know if they'd automatically upgrade me if i ordered now with the 128kb upload?

Advertisement