Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

FAI Cup Final : Cork City Vs Drogheda United

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,426 ✭✭✭Roar

Last call for predictions...

2-0 city, georgie and denis behan.

*stupid being stuck at work... >< that close to quitting... at least i have a tv in the office..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

I'm gonna go with 2-0 Cork as well, O'Flynn and O'Donovan.

MrJoeSoap wrote:
    O'Donovan.

Ever so slightly suspended, unfortunately.. he woulda destroyed em..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,339 ✭✭✭radiospan

mchurl wrote:
    hearing rumours the crowd could be 25,000 plus. Can anyone shed some light on this or is it just some wishful thinking?

The Echo was saying 20,000 plus during the week.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,163 ✭✭✭Slash/ED

Can't see Cork not completling the double tbh, though I hope not

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,953 ✭✭✭blu_sonic

i think it'll be 3-1 cork with the drogs to score 1st, o'callaghan to dominate the game

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭Geg124

Cork city will win 2-1. It wont be am easy game but i think they will just win after the high of winning the league

shoddy collins is doing the commentry, i don't know if i'll be able to listen to this chap for 90mins, he doesn't have a clue

blu_sonic wrote:
    shoddy collins is doing the commentry, i don't know if i'll be able to listen to this chap for 90mins, he doesn't have a clue

neither does hamilton.. apparantly jackie lennox is our chairman, despite being dead.

city on top so far, o'flynn just hit the post..

• Advertisement

the ref nearly lost control of it a few times, cork on top but drogs not making lie easy, could be a 1-0, 1-1 type of game

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,390 ✭✭✭galwaydude

what do you think of shoddy roddy commentating blu sonic. On topic cork are playing ok, they need to bring on denis behan as fenn looks slugish.Cork should take it 1 or 2 nil.

i've already left a post about satens son and now i've got it on mute (listening to the half time breakdown).

2 nil no chance no way! i think that the more the match go on the better the drogs are playing and now they've got the wind, its a tight cagey game, i could see georgie seeing red before 90min, i think we might get extra time here

aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaarrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrgggggggggggggggggggggggghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

whealan volley after slack defending from city, 1-0 drogs...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

2-0

fabio

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,147 ✭✭✭Ronan|Raven

Well done Drogheda.

• Advertisement

bollix...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,921 ✭✭✭✭Pigman II

Congrats to Drogs. Only saw the 2nd half but there semed to only be one team (mentally) in it for that period.

BTW, any reason why the Cork players refused to take their runners-up medals around the neck and instead took them in their hands? Maybe there was some valid reason why they did this but on the TV it looked like they were just being sore losers perpetrating a very ungracious act imho. :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,966 ✭✭✭Jivin Turkey

Was flicking between this and the Charlton - City game. From what I saw Drogheda looked like they deserved it.

Great to see a side lifting their first trophy.

ah well. well done to drogheda, well deserved over the 90 minutes.. congrats..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,220 ✭✭✭20 Times 20 Times

Sorry day for Co.Louth , and Sarge :(

But on the good side of things DUNDALK LADIES: WFAI CUP WINNERS 2005!!!

• Advertisement

good game, deserved winners

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,483 ✭✭✭Töpher

blu_sonic wrote:
    good game, deserved winners
    ^^ ditto.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 992 ✭✭✭mchurl

congrats to drogs and nice to see a decent crowd at the game:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,163 ✭✭✭Slash/ED

Fantastic :D

Cork dominated initially but Drogs upped the intensity and Cork had no answer which I was suprised with, tiredness maybe and a weak link at left back. O'Callaghan then decided he'd spent his time throwing the boot in and trying to get others sent off while also refereeing the game, forgot about the whole attempting to get a foothold in mid field thing and vanished from the game. Marvelous to watch :)

Bodes well for next year! :) Lol.

I was worried at the start, with Cork having aot of posession and getting crosses in at will. Drogheda surprised me with their all-round play, but deserved the win.

I had to laugh at the reports of the media down in Cork, apparently saying they're going to dominate Irish football for the next decade at least! Surely a look at Shelbourne this year would make anybody think twice before making calls like that, especially when the league was only won by 1 point! Whatever happens, next season is going to be incredible!!! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,544 ✭✭✭redspider

Congratulations to Drogheda, as I understand it's their first major trophy. Well Done.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

Einst&#252 wrote: »
    Bodes well for next year! :) Lol.

I was worried at the start, with Cork having aot of posession and getting crosses in at will. Drogheda surprised me with their all-round play, but deserved the win.

I had to laugh at the reports of the media down in Cork, apparently saying they're going to dominate Irish football for the next decade at least! Surely a look at Shelbourne this year would make anybody think twice before making calls like that, especially when the league was only won by 1 point! Whatever happens, next season is going to be incredible!!! :)

What reports was that?

Didnt the Dublin press ie TV3 and RTE say the same thing about $hels?

Why are all the bitter $hels fans gald that Cork lost anyway

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,148 ✭✭✭✭Raskolnikov

Fair play to Drogheda, the difference between the game was that they took their chances unlike City. After seeing how the whole town got behind Drogs it's hard to begrudge them their victory.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

Awful game, awful athmosphere and awful result. The better team won, no doubt about that, but unfortunately, the better team were shít as well! City never got going. Very disspointing, but there is no need to be greedy :p

More later. Sleep now.

jank wrote:

Yes, they did, thats the point he is making.
    jank wrote:

Because they are bitter perhaps? If you mean "Why are all the Shels fans bitter..." they're not.

• Advertisement

jank wrote:
    What reports was that?

How was that post bitter? :rolleyes:

Several people on the telly commented about it, Stephen Kenny, Shoddy Roddy, Hamilton (I think). I didn't read them myself, but the consensus was that the media down in Cork are proclaiming they are going to dominate Irish football for at least a decade! My point was, a look at Shelbourne this season - along with what was said about them - and try to justify comments like that. It's stupid, as it was when said about Shels. But this season came up with absolute proof that comments like that are dumbfounded and will only server to make fools of whoever wrote it - unless of course winning the league by a solitary point on the final day of the season means that team will infact dominate the league for a decade!

Personally I'm happy Cork lost because of the attitude of so many fans. Now, before I get eaten alive, everyone on this site seems decent enough :) On other forums, and in real life it seems that about 95% of them are the most arrogant gits I've ever come across! I mean, they always seemed extremely bitter in defeat, but even saying "congratulations, the best team won" to some of them comes across as offensive and provokes nothing but moaning and bickering. I've honestly never come across such a bunch of sore winners in my life! And for that reason, and that reason alone, I couldn't bear to have to listen about a double for the next 21 years!

Also, I don't like seeing cheats like Georgie get winners medals! ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,372 ✭✭✭Illkillya

the media down in Cork are proclaiming they are going to dominate Irish football for at least a decade!
    Where?? I didn't read it in the Examiner, nor the Echo, didn't see it in the Corkman, or the Southern Star... didn't hear it on Trevor Welch's Big Red Bench... must have been Neil Prenderville so. Good idea to assume that Neil Prenderville's opinion represents "the media down in Cork", especially when it comes to sport he really is the voice of the people.

But then again, you don't know what you're talking about, because you've only heard "reports". Most likely, your reports came from some Dublin tourist who spoke to "the media in cork" as represented by that fat old guy selling the echo on Patrick St. "95% of them are the most arrogant gits I've ever come across" - your statistics are about as accurate as your source I would say.

How was that post bitter? :rolleyes:
    Several people on the telly commented about it, Stephen Kenny, Shoddy Roddy, Hamilton (I think). I didn't read them myself, but the consensus was that the media down in Cork are proclaiming they are going to dominate Irish football for at least a decade!

Oh so your just quoting what others think they heard or read and stating it as fact?!
    And the above 2 out of 3 dont have a clue while the other is obviously biased!
    My point was, a look at Shelbourne this season - along with what was said about them - and try to justify comments like that. It's stupid, as it was when said about Shels. But this season came up with absolute proof that comments like that are dumbfounded and will only server to make fools of whoever wrote it

Again your stating something akin to chineese whispers as fact. I havent meet one City fan that thinks they will win the league next season. We are going to enjoy the CL and do aswell as we can to win the league. Obvioulsy we are going to be up there along with $hels and Derry but thats next season
    unless of course winning the league by a solitary point on the final day of the season means that team will infact dominate the league for a decade!

Who said that? Where? When??
    Personally I'm happy Cork lost because of the attitude of so many fans. Now, before I get eaten alive, everyone on this site seems decent enough :) On other forums, and in real life it seems that about 95% of them are the most arrogant gits I've ever come across! I mean, they always seemed extremely bitter in defeat, but even saying "congratulations, the best team won" to some of them comes across as offensive and provokes nothing but moaning and bickering. I've honestly never come across such a bunch of sore winners in my life! And for that reason, and that reason alone, I couldn't bear to have to listen about a double for the next 21 years!

Lol and your saying your not bitter against cork :D

Cork were **** so too were droghada but they were less **** so by that margin they deserved it. They took their chances and 'kinda' defended well.
    So congrats to them, although their fans were certainly a case of "only sing when your winning"

Its good though that the trophies are going to non-dublin teams. Its better for the league and better hope for aspiring teams in the future.
    Also, I don't like seeing cheats like Georgie get winners medals! ;)
    *cough* bitter *cough*

My first "bitter" question was asked about my previous post, which showed nothign, after which I thought I'd have a laugh. :rolleyes: How is it realistically possible to be bitter or jealous of a team who have won the league twice, over a decade apart!? ;)

Lemme see, I assumed the lads on the telly had their facts in order - though it was RTE, perhaps a tad presumptuous to expect them to do something properly. But I've said all along, thats where I was basing this on.

As for Georgie "The only reason I didn't win the award is because nobody likes me" O' Callaghan, at least yesterday showed him up for the unsporting git that he is.

Its good though that the trophies are going to non-dublin teams. Its better for the league and better hope for aspiring teams in the future.

Why is it "good for the league"?

"Hope" for which aspiring teams exactly?
    jank wrote:
    *cough* bitter *cough*

Its not bitter, its just plain ol' mutual hatred. He said it himself in the Sunday Indo.
    "It's hard for me in this league because the players don't like me because I'm always at them, I'm always winding them up. Some had their say last Sunday night at the players' awards saying I didn't have respect for them and all that. They don't like me. Shels' players hate me. It's grand because the feeling is mutual. I hate Shels with a passion and it's one team I'd never play for."

Illkillya wrote:
    Where?? I didn't read it in the Examiner, nor the Echo, didn't see it in the Corkman, or the Southern Star... didn't hear it on Trevor Welch's Big Red Bench... must have been Neil Prenderville so. Good idea to assume that Neil Prenderville's opinion represents "the media down in Cork", especially when it comes to sport he really is the voice of the people.

As I've said, RTE.
    But then again, you don't know what you're talking about, because you've only heard "reports".

Again, RTE.
    Most likely, your reports came from some Dublin tourist who spoke to "the media in cork" as represented by that fat old guy selling the echo on Patrick St.

RTE.
    "95% of them are the most arrogant gits I've ever come across" - your statistics are about as accurate as your source I would say.

Nice of you to cut off the front of that quote, where I said that from personal dealings with them it SEEMS that way. Sheesh ;)

As I've said, RTE.

Again, RTE.

RTE.

Nice of you to cut off the front of that quote, where I said that from personal dealings with them it SEEMS that way. Sheesh ;)

See thats just ****! Because RTE or should I say people who appeared on RTE say they "read" a report say a that measn A must be true.

Bollix tabloid journalism at its best
    Why is it "good for the league"?

If I have to answer that question then you seriously need to get out more.
    "Hope" for which aspiring teams exactly?
    Sligo, Waterford, Droghada, Derry and dare I say it Cobh ;)

It doestn take a genuis to figure out that the league is too Dublin/Lenister biased

But when 3 people refer to it, there must be something behind it. And anyways, I've said all along thats where its from. I'm not claiming to have read anything myself, so do your blood pressure a favour and calm down! ;)

jank wrote:

What was it, "You're just a shít Dublin suburb" the Cork fans sang at Drogheda yesterday? ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,056 ✭✭✭applehunter

Sorry to break up this bitch fight lads.

Just want to say well done to Drogheda yesterday. They were the better team and Cork City just didn't turn up.

Joe Gamble & George were made to look very ordinary.

Danny Murphy and Roy O'Donovan were massive losses in fairness. Just shows that we need to make 1/2 signing over the break.

I was very impressed with Glenn Whelan and Fabio yesterday. Especially Whelan, he really stood out.

Winning the league definately softened the blow, but you still feel a bit down.

Hopefully the 25,000 will now be the norm for Cup finals, the FAI for all their failings did a good job with the distributing tickets free to kids and in general it was a well run event.

gimmick wrote:
    Awful game, awful athmosphere and awful result. The better team won, no doubt about that, but unfortunately, the better team were shít as well! City never got going. Very disspointing, but there is no need to be greedy :p

More later. Sleep now.

i think your wrong there gim, not having a go i think that your just too clos to the situation, whenever rovers loose i always feel the game sucked and the atmosphere was ****, but as a nutral it was a throghly enjoying game, i felt it had nearly everything, a tense 1st half where cork were dominating, tension between the players, but rspect a scrappy well worked goal, an amazing flick to beat devine for the 2nd, and the underdogs won, i think for any EL fan who are familiar with the teams and players desplay they'd of enjoyed it, i'm glad for the drogs, and i'm happy cork did the league.

ps:
    jank wrote:
    What reports was that?

doesn't this mean shels make a uefa spot instead of toto? so wouldn't that mean they have a vested intrest in the game, i don't think they're bitter at all i think they wanted and expected to win the league but will feel the most consistant team won it and as all fans im sure they wanted to see the underdogs win

blu_sonic wrote:
    doesn't this mean shels make a uefa spot instead of toto? so wouldn't that mean they have a vested intrest in the game, i don't think they're bitter at all i think they wanted and expected to win the league but will feel the most consistant team won it and as all fans im sure they wanted to see the underdogs win

No, Shels don't get the UEFA spot, they get the Intertoto regardless of yesterdays result.

jank wrote:
    If I have to answer that question then you seriously need to get out more.

Well feel free to answer it at any stage... Its good for the Cork and Derry attendances (although the former probably haven't had too much of a dip anyway) and for their fans but I can't see any real benefit for the league as a whole.
    Sligo, Waterford, Droghada, Derry and dare I say it Cobh ;)

And what about say... Rovers and Dublin City. They are Dublin clubs and haven't won anything in a while. Maybe the league trophy should be shared around the country so everyone gets a chance to hold it?

The fact that four Dublin clubs (Bohs, Rovers, Pats and Shels) have been successful in recent years and clubs outside Dublin have not does not mean the game outside the city has suffered in the slightest... Cork and Derry proved this year and last that they can put it up to the Dublin teams, even after a few years of (relative) inactivity. They didn't suffer at the hands of the Dublin "supremacy".

Advertisement