Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Excessive Barking

• 23-10-2005 7:48pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 702 ✭✭✭

My springer is 12.

She's always barked occasionally, but always with good reason, i.e., when the postman would open the porch to drop letters in she'd go nuts, or when she heard a noise outside that she considered a threat. We never had any problem with it, obviously, because in her mind, she was protecting us.

However, over the last 6 months or so, she's been barking A LOT. I mean we'd rarely go five minutes in the daytime without her getting worked up and barking in a very strong determined way. She barks if she's on one side of the door and wants to be on the other. But most of the time she's just barking at absolutely nothing.

Her health is perfect otherwise and she's still as bright as she always was. But the barkign is really starting to bug me! I've tried just ignoring her in the hope that she'll learn that barking for what she wants doesn't work. But a) it doesn't seem to be doing anything and b) the barking is so loud it's really hard to ignore!

Anyone had to deal with the same problem before?

Cheers

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 744 ✭✭✭angry_fox

Have any new people moved into your area and have a dog? Same thing happend to my dog and anytime he would start barking aggressively i would go outside with him and just follow him around he stopped barking after a week of this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 488 ✭✭SuzyS1972

I would as a rule get her checked over by the vets again if it hasn't been in the last couple of weeks - 12 is kind of old age I suppose.
    I have the same problem with one of mine recently and we've discovered his eye sight is diminishing so little noises are upsetting him and he's barking out of fear as I suppose he can't see whats making the noise.

It's just a thought - also I find the older he gets the more clingy he is - he's always with us no matter what we do in the house anyway but lately he's sleeping on the landing as he was barking in the night at every noise :mad:

Advertisement