Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sharing Metro connection via Wireless (ADSL) Router

• 23-10-2005 9:12pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,877 ✭✭✭✭

Evening all,

Decided it'd be best to post this seperately from the main Metro Feedback thread....

I've just moved from UTV Clicksilver to Metro. Can anyone who has already done it, post any advice they have on how I can utilise my existing SMC ADSL Wireless Router with the Thompson modem Digiweb supply so that the connection can then be shared over our LAN?

What settings will I need to change on the router to do this, or should I be looking at simplifying things by just getting a "standard" wireless router that doesn't include the direct DSL functionality/connectivity and if so, what would you recommend?

Thanks in advance...

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,231 ✭✭✭✭Sparky

id be also interested to hear any comments on this as ill be in the same boat.
    also after you have answered kaiser200's question, since my router (linksys wag54g) has a firewall will it work with the metro?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Kaiser2000 wrote:
    Evening all,

Decided it'd be best to post this seperately from the main Metro Feedback thread....

I've just moved from UTV Clicksilver to Metro. Can anyone who has already done it, post any advice they have on how I can utilise my existing SMC ADSL Wireless Router with the Thompson modem Digiweb supply so that the connection can then be shared over our LAN?

What settings will I need to change on the router to do this, or should I be looking at simplifying things by just getting a "standard" wireless router that doesn't include the direct DSL functionality/connectivity and if so, what would you recommend?

Thanks in advance...

I'd suggest getting something like the 3Com office connect wireless router. It works out of the box and supports 256 bit WEP and other types of encryption. Its very reasonably priced too- Komplett have them at 76 Euro (I've bought 5 of them over the past few weeks for friends).

http://www.komplett.ie/k/ki.asp?sku=302154&cks=PRL

• Closed Accounts Posts: 847 ✭✭✭mickger

smccarrick wrote:
    I'd suggest getting something like the 3Com office connect wireless router. It works out of the box and supports 256 bit WEP and other types of encryption. Its very reasonably priced too- Komplett have them at 76 Euro (I've bought 5 of them over the past few weeks for friends).

http://www.komplett.ie/k/ki.asp?sku=302154&cks=PRL

Thats the one i got to and it works fine with Metro. Very easy to setup.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,877 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

any details of what settings you used? I might be able to set the sme things on my existing one you see :)

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,450 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

Kaiser2000 wrote:
    any details of what settings you used? I might be able to set the sme things on my existing one you see :)

Its most unlikely - afaik its not possible to 'disable' the adsl modem and use these units as as wireless routers only.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,348 ✭✭✭ricey

Sparky_S wrote:
    id be also interested to hear any comments on this as ill be in the same boat.
    also after you have answered kaiser200's question, since my router (linksys wag54g) has a firewall will it work with the metro?

Sparky do Digiweb give you your settings like IP, Subnet.. Gateway
    & DNS? Im not sure how metro works but I have a linksys WRT54g
    router. When I had wireless from IBB i had it set to static IP and
    Just entered the settings there that IBB gave me, im sure metro
    must be the same but i could be wrong. Then just set you loca
    area connection to get IP auto.

Or is metro set up another way?

Well the installer who put mine in on Saturday didn't seem to know very much about how it works to be honest but from what I gather it's all set up on Digiweb's side so it really is just "plug n play" for the end user - which is fine if you have only 1 PC you want to connect to it, but not so good for the rest of us.

I've had a look on Digiweb's site but the Support section for this seems very limited at the moment. I'll try calling them this morning and let ye know what they say.

im waiting for mine to be activated to see what i can do

• Closed Accounts Posts: 847 ✭✭✭mickger

Its easy to setup. All you do is set your router to DHCP mode and restart and bingo it works. You dont need passwords and usernames like when setting up DSL PPoE.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,348 ✭✭✭ricey

mickger wrote:
    Its easy to setup. All you do is set your router to DHCP mode and restart and bingo it works. You dont need passwords and usernames like when setting up DSL PPoE.

Well thats that then.

• Advertisement

ricey wrote:
    Sparky do Digiweb give you your settings like IP, Subnet.. Gateway
    & DNS? Im not sure how metro works but I have a linksys WRT54g
    router. When I had wireless from IBB i had it set to static IP and
    Just entered the settings there that IBB gave me, im sure metro
    must be the same but i could be wrong. Then just set you loca
    area connection to get IP auto.

Or is metro set up another way?

was that on RFC 1483 Routed, because i have a static ip and know all my settings like dns gateway etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Bazler

mickger wrote:
    Thats the one i got to and it works fine with Metro. Very easy to setup.

Hi,

I've just had Metro installed and it works fine when I plug a PC directly to the Thompson box.
    However, I've tried connecting my 3COM Officeconnect (3CRWE554G72) into the box and it fails to receive an IP address. I can see in the logs on the 3COM that the "DHCP discover" message is being sent but it doesn't get a reply.
    Have tried resetting both boxes to no avail.

Any ideas ?

Not getting much help from Digiweb.

I got one of the 3Com Wireless routers and installed it last night (same as the one on the Komplett link above which I see is the same as yours?, though mine came from Hong Kong! - Good ole eBay :)).

Mine has a wizard that guides you through setting it up - more or less just accept the defaults - and it's working fine now throughout the house.

What firmware version is on yours? Mines on 1.something but I see theres a version 2.01 on their support site which fixes several issues.

Thanks for the reply.
    Couple of questions.....

I'm assuming Thompson box should be plugged into the port marked "Ethernet Cable/DSL" on the 3com box rather than one of the 4 hub ports. Is that what you've done ?

Do your wireless PC's now get a DHCP address from the 3com box (i.e 192.168.x.x) ?

Thanks.

Bazler wrote:
    Thanks for the reply.
    Couple of questions.....

I'm assuming Thompson box should be plugged into the port marked "Ethernet Cable/DSL" on the 3com box rather than one of the 4 hub ports. Is that what you've done ?

Do your wireless PC's now get a DHCP address from the 3com box (i.e 192.168.x.x) ?

Thanks.
    Yes to both :)

The wizard asks a few things that in brackets says "usually for cable modems" or something like that but just leave all those blank. In fact the only 2 things I specifically changed really were the SSID name for wireless and the encryption type.

If you previously had a Wireless DSL setup, make sure your clients aren't still trying to connect to that if using Windows XP's own wireless management tool.

I'll double-check my settings later when i get home and post back here

I got a wrt54G, from linksys, i like linksys because they are stackable, anyways plugged it in and it set its self up with the thomson modem and worked within 2 mins.
    I also love the wrt54g because of lots of 3rd party firmware :D

Kaiser2000 wrote:
    Yes to both :)

The wizard asks a few things that in brackets says "usually for cable modems" or something like that but just leave all those blank. In fact the only 2 things I specifically changed really were the SSID name for wireless and the encryption type.

If you previously had a Wireless DSL setup, make sure your clients aren't still trying to connect to that if using Windows XP's own wireless management tool.

I'll double-check my settings later when i get home and post back here

I notice that the one advertised on Komplett has the part number 3CRWE554G72T-ME whereas the one that I have (second-hand) is simply 3CRWE554G72.
    I checked for software updates for this on the 3com website and I already have the latest version (1.02.15).
    There's a later version (2.01.10) available for the 3CRWE554G72T but I tried to install this and it wouldn't let me.
    I'm starting to suspect I may have an older version which won't work with this broadband connection.
    Can you confirm if the model number of yours is 3CRWE554G72 or 3CRWE554G72T (with a T) ???

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

so are we saying that if you had a 4 port ADSL router, and plug the metro into on of the lan ports, everything is grand, assuming the wireless spits the correct dns settings to wireless users

bazH wrote:
    so are we saying that if you had a 4 port ADSL router, and plug the metro into on of the lan ports, everything is grand, assuming the wireless spits the correct dns settings to wireless users

ADSL router wont work with wireless bb as far as I know................

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

dub45 wrote:
    ADSL router wont work with wireless bb as far as I know................

Well you'd not be using the ADSL port for anything, merely using the additonal lan ports so the wireless traffic can access the metro cable modem(which would be plugged into one of the lan ports)

• Advertisement

bazH wrote:
    Well you'd not be using the ADSL port for anything, merely using the additonal lan ports so the wireless traffic can access the metro cable modem(which would be plugged into one of the lan ports)

I think thats the point of the thread that this wont work you need a wireless router as mentioned above like the linksys wrt54g - http://www1.linksys.com/international/product.asp?coid=18&ipid=452

Bazler wrote:
    I notice that the one advertised on Komplett has the part number 3CRWE554G72T-ME whereas the one that I have (second-hand) is simply 3CRWE554G72.
    I checked for software updates for this on the 3com website and I already have the latest version (1.02.15).
    There's a later version (2.01.10) available for the 3CRWE554G72T but I tried to install this and it wouldn't let me.
    I'm starting to suspect I may have an older version which won't work with this broadband connection.
    Can you confirm if the model number of yours is 3CRWE554G72 or 3CRWE554G72T (with a T) ???
    Mine's a T ... upgraded to v2.01.10 tonight which adds a few bits (nothing major though).

I've learned the best way to boot them both is the router first, and then the modem.. workinhg fine for me as we speak :)

Advertisement