Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Canned Pumpkin

• 23-10-2005 11:31pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭

anyone know where I can pickup canned pumkin mix for a pumpkin pie?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,659 ✭✭✭Shabadu

I have never seen it in ireland, but it is quite easy to make yourself.

http://www.camellia.org/kitchen/basics/pumpkin-prep.html

if you don't want to bother with all that roasting, what i do is steam the pumpkin, pop it in a sieve with weight on top of it, and let some of the water drain out.

EDIT: I'm going to move this to the main food & drink forum, and copy it to cake and pie, you'll probably get a few more responses.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,472 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Canned pumpkin mix is readily available in the US, but that doesn't really help you, unfortunately.

However, what I do every year around this time, is to wait until just after Halloween, and then go around buying up all the cheap pumpkins that are left over. Personally, I make pumpkin soup out of mine and freeze it, but you could just as easily prepare it as above and freeze it. Should last at least a year, until the next batch of almost free pumpkins comes around :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭memphis

Alun wrote:
    Canned pumpkin mix is readily available in the US, but that doesn't really help you, unfortunately.

However, what I do every year around this time, is to wait until just after Halloween, and then go around buying up all the cheap pumpkins that are left over. Personally, I make pumpkin soup out of mine and freeze it, but you could just as easily prepare it as above and freeze it. Should last at least a year, until the next batch of almost free pumpkins comes around :)
    Pumpkin soup eh? Don't suppose you know of a link to any recipe. I'm thinking I'd kinda like that!!!

I've got a couple of recipes lurking around here somewhere, which I always put in that proverbial "safe place" so that I can find them again next year. I'll have a look and see if I can locate them.

Here you go ...

Pumpkin Soup
    2kg pumpkin
    2x400g cans cannelini beans
    1tbsp sage, finely chopped
    2 whole garlic cloves
    2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
    2 fresh thyme sprigs
    3tbsp olive oil
    2 onions, finely chopped
    2 carrots, finely chopped
    2 celery sticks, finely chopped
    2.5l stock (chicken or vegetable)
    salt and pepper

1) Preheat oven to 230 C

2) Cut pumpkin into wedges and scoop out seeds

3) Brush with oil and place in a roasting tray with whole garlic cloves and thyme. Season generously and roast for 45 minutes until caramelised.

4) Sweat the carrot, onion, celery, sage and chopped garlic for 10-15 minutes.

5) Pour in the stock, season, bring to the boil and simmer for 20 minutes.

6) Let pumpkin cool, scoop out the flesh, add to the pan and simmer until tender. Puree in a blender, or use a hand blender, add the beans, check seasoning and reheat gently.

Whats nice when you serve this is to whizz up some parsley, garlic, parmesan, seasoning and a generous amount of olive oil and lemon juice and drizzle this onto the soup in the bowls.

• Advertisement

Thanks for that. Might get the Ma to give it a try!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

Memphis.

COOK IT YOURSELF.

And then serve it to your mother. Think of what a nice surprise that would be?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,443 ✭✭✭✭bonkey

Here's an alternate recipe for soup:

http://www.dspsrv.com/cookbook/soupnsauce.html#_Grazer_Pumpkin_Soup_

You can modify this by using a dash of curry powder as well. Its the bomb on a cold Autumn's evening.

Dead easy, dead good.

Pumpkin oil mixed with a fruit vinegar (applem f'r example) makes an excellent salad dressing, if you can lay your hands on the oil.

Roasted pumpkin seeds also work fantastically in a salad.

jc
    jc

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

I think i saw it on a Lidl or Aldi brochure.. check the sites.
    Oh wait it might not be on the site as its food not a special and the Halloween specials do not seem to be on the sites.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭SouperComputer

@ Shabadu, thanks for the move, I didnt realise that there was a "master" food\drink forum.

thanks for all the suggestions guys. Wife is from the US hence the need for canned. Will try Lidl\Aldi though. Failing that its ship some from the US or make ourselves (could be icky!)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

Or just buy a pumpkin..
    Oh here is a tip for everyone... When you get your pumpkin and carve it DO NOT throw out the seads.. stick them on a baking tray and salt em a little.. then stick in over till crisp.. they are yum

Anyway seriously you can get in cans here, i saw them somewhere and im sure it was lidl/aldi.

Probably not all year round though.

Memphis.

COOK IT YOURSELF.

And then serve it to your mother. Think of what a nice surprise that would be?

But that's what mammy's are for. LOL

No seriously, I wouldn't know the first thing about clearing out the insides of a pumpkin. Though ya it wouls be a nice surprise if I were to make it.

Oh by the way, there is another nice recipe in this weeks RTE guide for pumpkin soup, along with other pumpkin ideas.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,733 ✭✭✭Blub2k4

memphis wrote:
    But that's what mammy's are for. LOL

No seriously, I wouldn't know the first thing about clearing out the insides of a pumpkin. Though ya it wouls be a nice surprise if I were to make it.

Oh by the way, there is another nice recipe in this weeks RTE guide for pumpkin soup, along with other pumpkin ideas.

arrrr that be womens work, like cleaning toilets and washing clothes, thar be dragons!!!

Advertisement