Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rant: Arthurs Quay Park, Roches and Dunnes Stores

Options
  • 23-10-2005 11:45pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭

Not to sound bitter but what the **** was the planning behind the current layout of that quarter of town? The old Dunnes stores is ugly,obsolete dead space, as is the row of shops facing it (beside Martin's pub) behind Roches stores (currently used as storage for Roches). the garden centre section of Roches is similary a waste of good retail space.

My main gripe is that a proper development, facing the park could really add a vibrant section to the riverfront. The park itself is much safer since the cctv was installed and the bushes removed. This is a huge amenity currently being ignored by the city, it has everything the rest of the city seems to lack, ie a sense of space, natural light. The patio in front of the tourist centre would be perfect for buskers or whatever, and the weir and marina looks great from the riverwalk in the park.

The old Dunnes should knocked and a proper, attractive building built there, it is such a missed oppurtunity. Likewise with the derilict block of shops. We shouldn't be building new streets and ignoring this quarter of town.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 96 ✭✭spinalsly

i think they will redevelop this part of town as it is an ideal location, just beside the river. maybe after the bedford row development is completed

• Registered Users Posts: 6,173 ✭✭✭1huge1

With all the devolepment going on in limerick city at the moment it will only be a matter of time

• Registered Users Posts: 4,492 ✭✭✭sioda

Dunnes are never going to relinquish that old Building as they are afraid of Marks and Spencers movning Why do you think they still have the parkway site and as for Roches I wouldn't be suprised if they were the next business in Limerick to close

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,916 Mod ✭✭✭✭iguana

Afaik, Dunnes have announced that they are pulling out of the Parkway. They announced it to their staff about a month ago. It seems they didn't want to transfer old staff to the new store for fear of Mandate and Siptu insisting that those staff would not have to work on the 24-hour cycle.

So instead before announcing closure they offered staff the chance to move to the new store under a new contract. The majority chose to stay at the Parkway. Then they hired new staff for the new store under a 24 hour contract. Then they announced the closure of their Parkway store and that all remaining staff were to be let go.

iguana wrote:
    Afaik, Dunnes have announced that they are pulling out of the Parkway. They announced it to their staff about a month ago. It seems they didn't want to transfer old staff to the new store for fear of Mandate and Siptu insisting that those staff would not have to work on the 24-hour cycle.

So instead before announcing closure they offered staff the chance to move to the new store under a new contract. The majority chose to stay at the Parkway. Then they hired new staff for the new store under a 24 hour contract. Then they announced the closure of their Parkway store and that all remaining staff were to be let go.
    sickened for those ppl at the parkway but im sure they wont have much of a problem finding a job at another dunnes

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Amazotheamazing

I dunno guys, sure there's loads of building going on but what's actually going to fill all this new capacity? There are several large, empty shop units in town.

such as?

The large unit up by Tait's clock, all of the new development on Gerald Griffin Street, The development near St. Mary's Cathedral, Nicholas Street, there's a few empty units at the top of William street too, some of Parnell street.

I dunno guys, sure there's loads of building going on but what's actually going to fill all this new capacity? There are several large, empty shop units in town.
    name one

I just did, and it's not an exhaustive list. Go around Parnell street, Mallow street, Tait's square, then go down to Nicholas St, a new building near the Abbey Bridge. I've already mentioned the empty units around the old Dunnes store, go up William street, and turn down towards St. John's, the new buildings there is empty, as is the square.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

sioda wrote:
    Dunnes are never going to relinquish that old Building as they are afraid of Marks and Spencers movning
    They also appear not to have a great deal of space in the new one - all the blokie clothes are still in the old one. Nuts and all as it seems but the retail space in Harvey's Quay upstairs isn't that extensive.

I just did, and it's not an exhaustive list. Go around Parnell street, Mallow street, Tait's square, then go down to Nicholas St, a new building near the Abbey Bridge. I've already mentioned the empty units around the old Dunnes store, go up William street, and turn down towards St. John's, the new buildings there is empty, as is the square.

ya i remember seeing that huge space up by taits clock, thing is noone wants to put themselves up there as it is a quiet part of town, nice area though, the square looks very nice and the are has potential!

Spinasly, the entire city has potential, it's realising the potential that's the problem.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,133 ✭✭✭mysterious

Units are been taken but some are slower than others , I heard that Taits corner are under some talks as to whether offices are now taken, though whats against this building is it a quiet area so naturally it will be tougher to attract businesses,

The Barrington's centre is now gettin more interest,
    etc well I'd say its the supply is greater than demand in most of the developments

Most the riverside areas are very high demand, considering the size of the Riverpoint it has attracted retailers and companies nationally.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 93 ✭✭pukey

Arthurs Quay Park/Dunnes Stores

there's a guy in DIT bolton street doing his architecture thesis on this site this year. obviously won't be built but the studies they do can highlight alot of the problems in a particular area and propose solutions.

So Summer comes around and the Park is safer but still as dead and lifeless as ever, green and brick, no colour, no working lights which make it a ghosttown afterdark, the awful railings still in place, cutting off from the city. It's strange because on days like Riverfest and Flugtag thing, it seemed pretty good, showed what we're missing by neglecting it so much.

It could be a rival for Eyre square (seriously) but instead it's closer to a vacant lot.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,612 ✭✭✭bullets

If I had my way.............

Rather than pouring money into brand new buildings I think
    it would be nice if they allocated some money to try to spruce up or restore some of the older buildings in Limerick like the Victorian buildings around O'Connell Street.
    Last time I noticed anything done to help these buildings was when Angelas Ashes
    was being filmed. Shame to see them in such a sorry state.

After the original older buildings are looked after I would love to
    see the old Dunnes area and William street re-developed.

There are some other buildings in the City that could do with a make over,
    The Watergate flats look a lot better when they got a face lift be nice
    to see other similar places get the same treatment.

~B

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭jay_haych

across the road from filmdrome on william st you have and empty newsoms. to the left of a "soon to b emptry" mccarthys furniture and the bookies to the left of that again is closing soon also. thats 3 big enough stores gone by the end of the year and no one is yet interested in the newsoms lot.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 chrislimerick

rates is the problem here and the rent that is paid for these locations is very high a lot of people go to the likes of argos and the other super stores for stuff
    as single retail units do not get the massive discounts the super stores do hense
    the customer says i can get that cheaper in etc etc as all know the price of an item matters as for building around the city there is a building near the park hyde rd area that was built never had a tenant and has all its windows kicked in
    there years now

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

pukey wrote:
    Arthurs Quay Park/Dunnes Stores

there's a guy in DIT bolton street doing his architecture thesis on this site this year. obviously won't be built but the studies they do can highlight alot of the problems in a particular area and propose solutions.
    Now that's interesting. Any details? Wouldn't mind seeing the thing when he's done.
    the customer says i can get that cheaper in etc etc as all know the price of an item matters as for building around the city there is a building near the park hyde rd area that was built never had a tenant and has all its windows kicked in
    there years now
    I drive past that building quite a bit and it seems to get worse every few weeks, which is rather a pity given its location.

There are really two problems there I suspect - the location is crap for anything other than an office that doesn't need any customers visiting (ever - there's no parking /at/ the building). Also I'd put good money that the downstairs was built just to get the double tax exemption on the residential units upstairs. Not that I'd live in a building which has stone-throwing as an amenity - that building tends to confirm a particular literal case of Wilson's & Kelling's Broken Windows thesis every time I see it. Shades of the VHI building at the end of Michael Street, but that building wasn't crap, had a far better location and they fixed the windows when they were broken.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭Crea

rates is the problem here and the rent that is paid for these locations is very high a lot of people go to the likes of argos and the other super stores for stuff
    as single retail units do not get the massive discounts the super stores do hense
    there years now
    Chris is right. The rates in the city centre are really high. A friend had to close her shop in town and move to the outskirts because the rates were killing her. If the City Council are serious about getting people into the areas currently being developed then they had better think of some incentives.
    Also, they need to put a stop to allowing building of new shops/offices until the others are occupied - probably not a goer.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,612 ✭✭✭bullets

Crea wrote:
    Chris is right. The rates in the city centre are really high. A friend had to close her shop in town and move to the outskirts because the rates.

I reckon my girlfriend will have do do the same. She is trying to get
    a dog grooming service up and running but the costs of keeping it open
    in the city mean that even if she is doing a full weeks worth of dogs she is still
    coming out with nothing at all and would only be breaking even. Its mainly
    down to the high rent price for such a small amount of space, you add
    water charge/electricity/bins bills etc etc etc on to that and your
    operating at a loss and would be better off on the dole.

Its a real shame that there are not schemes set up to help develop and promote
    small business starting out that may occupy some of the otherwise neglected buildings
    around the place. Limerick City Enterprise often help poeple but it appears only
    if the businees is Trading, Something like a service like grooming they do squat.
    Long term it could or would make the city better and more apealing to people.

~B

Crea wrote:
    Chris is right. The rates in the city centre are really high. A friend had to close her shop in town and move to the outskirts because the rates were killing her. If the City Council are serious about getting people into the areas currently being developed then they had better think of some incentives.
    Also, they need to put a stop to allowing building of new shops/offices until the others are occupied - probably not a goer.

They came down marginally this year or I think it will take effect next year.

Will I explain high rates phenomonon. well it's something like B
    Ex. if that is a clue.... I'd rather not talk about it. sick to death about it.

Well since it's rant. What is going to happen to the Aurther's quay area? why does all the politicians in Limerick act like cry babys, why can't they kick ass. Take a look at how Cork and Galway seem to take pride in the cityscape. Fair enough limerick is improving, and rightly, let's keep that tune up. Instead of dwelling on the negative which this city could do less of. But ffs Roches and Dunnes have a smacking dot in the city and leave it to ruins....

Where are the authorities? where is the Mayor, he should (for now)quit caring what other's region's think of the city's image, and start by tackling the image problem, by sorting out the backbone to the problem the city centre's image. Like Aurther's quay and Dunnes/Roches.......... It's a shambles:mad:

As Amazotheamazing said it has amazing potential... I just wonder what is the problem why it's even let be in a dire state, it just proves how we take pride in our city whether we like it or not

• Registered Users Posts: 4,871 ✭✭✭Karmafaerie

sceptre wrote:
    They also appear not to have a great deal of space in the new one - all the blokie clothes are still in the old one. Nuts and all as it seems but the retail space in Harvey's Quay upstairs isn't that extensive.

Dunnes don't own that building.
    It's owned by Roches I think.
    Dunnes bought a 6 year lease when it was opened, at the moment they are planning to redo the old Dunnes, or maybe take over from Roches Stores.
    there have even been some grand plans put forward where they will buy the current Roches stores, and join it to the old Dunnes with a walkway over the road, making it into a giant store.

As for M&S, they're plnning on opening in the new Opera centre in a few years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 54 ✭✭Spengman

Dunnes bought a 6 year lease when it was opened, at the moment they are planning to redo the old Dunnes, or maybe take over from Roches Stores.
    there have even been some grand plans put forward where they will buy the current Roches stores, and join it to the old Dunnes with a walkway over the road, making it into a giant store.

Not a hope would Roches sell their store, im no fan of Roches stores but i would rather see them retain their shop on o connell/sarsfield st rather than Dunnes get yet more of a foothold and that prospect would not be good for the city centre! Roches had some plans to revamp and extend their store but nothing has come of them so far, maybe the imminent arrival of the opera centre will force their hand and hopefully also that of Brown Thomas, what a disgraceful frontage onto the city's principal street, disgusting!:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,871 ✭✭✭Karmafaerie

Spengman wrote:
    Not a hope would Roches sell their store, im no fan of Roches stores but i would rather see them retain their shop on o connell/sarsfield st rather than Dunnes get yet more of a foothold and that prospect would not be good for the city centre! Roches had some plans to revamp and extend their store but nothing has come of them so far, maybe the imminent arrival of the opera centre will force their hand and hopefully also that of Brown Thomas, what a disgraceful frontage onto the city's principal street, disgusting!:mad:

True Roches wouldn't want to leave, but they own the Building that the new Dunnes is in.
    There is a good chance that they will move there, after Dunnes' lease is up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 54 ✭✭Spengman

True Roches wouldn't want to leave, but they own the Building that the new Dunnes is in.
    There is a good chance that they will move there, after Dunnes' lease is up.

Maybe so but i think the O Connell/Sarsfield st junction is a more of a prime location than henry st, (despite the new developments!) The harveys quay building looks huge but apart from the ground floor and a smaller upper floor, the retail space is limited enough for such a large structure, most of the building is taken up with apartments and a multi storey carpark. Roches stores have a huge landbank surrounding their shop if only they had the ambition to develop it properly, they own all of the liddy st premises and theres also a garden centre and delivery yard behind penneys, there lies an ideal opportunity to develop a whole new vibrant city centre quarter! In all fairness its long overdue and their Limerick store is a s***hole compared to their stores in Dublin & Cork where they have invested millions(€30 million in Cork, not sure about Dublin) why cant they do the same here?, is it lack of interest?, the city council should really be putting more pressure on retailers in the city centre to improve their premises and also the exteriors of their buildings, some of the buildings in the city centre are filthy!..

The arrival of marks & spencer and also debenhams i believe, can only be good for Limerick as they'll finally give Roches stores and Brown Thomas the kick up the arse they deserve!

There so much stories going around.. It's interesting that Roches brought Harvey's quay centre. Its news to me. This could expalin the reason why there are leaving a ruin to become a shambles... oh wait they gave it a paintjob:rolleyes: .....

Anyone who comes to Limerick is not blind to get a rather immeadiate negative reaction to seeing brown thomas and Roches department stores. Its horrid. Look at the building accross from Roches.. disgusting. It drives me mad as to why PRIME PRIME city centre is not seen as something to invest. Could explain why rents and footfall is much lower than say Patricks street in Cork... I read all the plans that were brought up but it's constantly rumoured and changed

Can I ask the question since we all know both department stores are pretty much laid back about doing something about this eyseorea

What is Dunnes interesting in doing?
    What is Roches hoping to do?
    Since there are so many mx up plans
    Last comment ffs why have two Dunnes in the first place.

:mad:

That seems like a good idea, since it's better to have one big store than having two separate stores, again could explain the reason why Dunnes is waiting for Roches to get it's ass into gear, or vice versa.

• Advertisement

The thread kinda got quiet since I posted the other day. How is the Bedford row taking shape? Once this is finished it should give Roches more reasons and Dunnes to DO something.... Cork Roches I believe is taking a lot of interest, I bet Limerick, if they had Roches upgraded would just easily par if not rise above the Cork store si, I mean there is definatly money in this city now! and since, there so many city centre projects are coming on, just proving the confidence the city now has. I read on www.hok.ie the spring edition of property watch etc, shows the level of investment and building going on in the city alone, It's all good to see the city fighting back.

Now the city council are pushing to floor the derelicts warehouses on Thomas street, onto the street, can't remember the name of it, but quite a lot of apartments going in there, It's quite cool that Apartment living is becoming sustainable given how small this city is. It's proven that people are moving back into the city since the last census.

On another note, since i'm off on a tangent, all areas of the city whether on a large scale or small, seems to constantly changing. Take a look at King's Island and all along the Riverfront, but it keeps coming back to the stunt area of Arthurs quay. It's getting to blantantly obvious of Roches/Dunnes ignorance and money monopoly they are sucking out of this part of town.... After being so positive throughout this post it's just impossible to see anything in light in the Arthur's quay block. :(

Advertisement