Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Who is God and what's his Name???

Options
  • 24-10-2005 12:07am
    Registered Users Posts: 998 ✭✭✭

GOD
    Who is he, What is he, What's his name, what's his langauge?
    is he the same GOD for the jews, Christains and Muslims?

Is he called, GOD, Allah, Yahweh, Jesus ???

Where did we get those names from?

Please if you would like to contribute make sure to include refrences from valid Books and authorised websites.
    Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,715 ✭✭✭marco murphy

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

Suff wrote:
    ...valid Books and authorised websites.
    Authorised by who? ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 998 ✭✭✭Suff

ok, apologies, not in the term of authorised as in have valid refernces from texts and books,
    we all know that anyone canput anything they like on the net without a valid ref.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,885 ✭✭✭Stabshauptmann

If there is a(re) higher power(s), and I believe there is, then all the religions and beliefs are an attempt to interpret this same power.

The idea that said diety has a spoken language akin to any in existance today doesnt say much for the complexity of said diety if you analise the sheer stupidity of the spoken work. Its primitive and incomplete. Not to mention a butchered hybrid mess.
    Thus any name given to said diety is meaningless IMO and simply a reflection of the language of the person making up the name

actually what I was thinking is how we (mankind) got these name?

from where?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 857 ✭✭✭Dagon

If you are attempting to understand, or to "know" God through names, labels, books, thoeries, ideas, concepts, then you will never find him, or it. You are trying to bring what is unknown into the known, and it cannot be done, though man has struggled to for countless years.

You cannot get to "know" what God is through this effort. No organised religion will lead you directly to God. You have to do it for yourself by direct experience. You cannot find this through the knowledge of another, or from someone elses concept of god.

The harder you struggle to put God in a box, the more active you are in this endless search to find God, the further you are running...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,885 ✭✭✭Stabshauptmann

At a guess Im going to say that there is a name in the Quraan that came from Allah and hence is his one true name :rolleyes:
    Is that where you're going Suff?

At a guess Im going to say that there is a name in the Quraan that came from Allah and hence is his one true name :rolleyes:
    Is that where you're going Suff?

I thought you were better than this! :)

I'm really trying to see where did people get these names from!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

The link Poblachtach posts above seems to say thet 'Allah' is simply the Arabic equivilent of 'God', and not the actual name of the Islamic God. From the link I suspect that an Arabic speaking person of any religion could call their God Allah, altough because of Islams strong monotheism, Muslims would say it's all one and the same.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,713 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manach

Well, if I can aid this by process of elimation by saying the name of God is not Manach. I think I have enough awareness of life not to see God when I look in the mirror. :)

• Advertisement

The word Allah came from the word Aleha
    Aleha mean GODs so the single of that is Allah which means ONE GOD.

I think god chose this name in the Quraan to highlight the most important element of Islam which is.....GOD IS ONE.
    in arabic God has 100 names, they are a description of his charecter.
    example...The Mirceful, the Great, the All Knowing, All Seeing, the One, and so on...

however it is true to say that even christains and jews of the arabic world use that name Allah when refrenecing God.

*The historians, scholars did state a finding that a name of "AL" was used in the MiddleEast around the time of Ibraham. (4000+ years) as a reference to the heavenly god.
    but "AL"means "The" in Arabic? so is it a referance to a description of his charecter? I don't know.

The aim of this Thread is to establish the history of the name, not what name is correct and what's fasle.

OK!

-*ref: A History of God: The 4,000-Year Quest of Judaism, Christianity and Islam. -by Karen Armstrong

• Registered Users Posts: 5,250 ✭✭✭Elessar

I was reading about one mans NDE experience a while ago and in it he was talking to a figure he met while in the light. He asked was this figure God and it replied: "I am the blanket and you are the thread of it".

Kind of sums it up for me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,999 ✭✭✭solas

there was a time when I might have said something deep, wise and even meaningful on the subject.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

solas wrote:
    there was a time when I might have said something deep, wise and even meaningful on the subject.
    Ok, I'll bite :)
    What might you have said that would have been deep, wise and even meaningfull ?

well, God..I dunno. I might have to meditate on that for a while but I'm afraid I might just end up sounding like Bono or so many of the books on the subject that are available out there.

There's that whole version of God as "all that is", which would equate with a less than personal representation of the entire universe and its contents. (Allah I believe takes this representation) or then we have the more personal God for fanatics, (from which Yahwey Elohim and Jehova are formulated) more often termed "I am". ie: I AM (note capitals) the Lord thy God...for truly fundemental new age spiritualitists.
    My own first encounter with "God" I remember saying was "the light"..I see the light etc (or I AM the light for the fanatics) ooh..and not forgetting the "God is Love" concept, but I was very young and naive at the time.
    so many choices...mmm
    I think I liked it better when God (allah jehova etc) was some chappie sitting on a cloud with a long beard throwing thunderbolts at us.

*must go meditate

Some of the biggest misconceptions that many non-Muslims have about Islam have to do with the word "Allah". For various reasons, many people have come to believe that Muslims worship a different God than Christians and Jews. This is totally false, since "Allah" is simply the Arabic word for "God" - and there is only One God. Let there be no doubt - Muslims worship the God of Noah, Abraham, Moses, David and Jesus - peace be upon them all. However, it is certainly true that Jews, Christians and Muslims all have different concepts of Almighty God. For example, Muslims - like Jews - reject the Christian beliefs of the Trinity and the Divine Incarnation. This, however, doesn't mean that each of these three religions worships a different God - because, as we have already said, there is only One True God.

I don't neccesarily think there is any difference between the concept of a monotheistic God or Allah, as representation the Divinity of creation, I think the difference comes down to how we percieve and relate to that God through our own faiths. The difference between the Muslim God and the Christian God is that the latter is a personal God, the concept Jesus brought through his teachings and which resulted in the trinitarian perspective.

suff wrote:
    The aim of this Thread is to establish the history of the name, not what name is correct and what's fasle.
    sorry, I missed that bit.
    suff wrote:
    Who is God and....Where did we get those names from?

from dictionary.com
      God:
      n 1: the supernatural being conceived as the perfect and omnipotent and omniscient originator and ruler of the universe; the object of worship in monotheistic religions [syn: God, Supreme Being] 2: any supernatural being worshipped as controlling some part of the world or some aspect of life or who is the personification of a force [syn: deity, divinity, immortal] 3: a man of such superior qualities that he seems like a deity to other people; "he was a god among men" 4: a material effigy that is worshipped as a god; "thou shalt not make unto thee any graven image"; "money was his god" [syn: idol, graven image]

A.S. and Dutch God; Dan. Gud; Ger. Gott), the name of the Divine Being. It is
      the rendering (1) of the Hebrew _'El_, from a word meaning to be strong; (2) of_'Eloah_, plural _'Elohim_.

[Middle English, from Old English. See gheu()- in Indo-European Roots.]
        Allah: God, especially in Islam.
        [Arabic Allh : al-, the + ’ilh, god; see l in Semitic Roots.]
          Jehovah: God, especially in Christian translations of the Old Testament.
          [Blend of the letters of the Tetragrammaton and, with modification, the vowels of Adonai.]

The meaning of the word appears from Ex.
          3:14 to be "the unchanging, eternal, self-existent God," the "I am that I am,"
          a convenant-keeping God. (Comp. Mal. 3:6; Hos. 12:5; Rev. 1:4, 8.) The Hebrew
          name "Jehovah" is generally translated in the Authorized Version (and the
          Revised Version has not departed from this rule) by the word LORD printed in
          small capitals, to distinguish it from the rendering of the Hebrew _Adonai_ and
          the Greek _Kurios_, which are also rendered Lord, but printed in the usual type.
            Yahweh: a name for the God of the Old Testament as transliterated from the Hebrew consonants YHVH [syn: Yahweh, YHWH, Yahwe, Yahveh, YHVH, Yahve, Wahvey, Jahvey, Jahweh, Jehovah, JHVH]
            [Hebrew. See hwy in Semitic Roots.]

Advertisement