Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Doom movie review on GameOn

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,405 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

IGN gave it a good review as well although rottentomatoes has an awful lot of dodgy reviews. Still it wouldn't be Doom if the story wasn't an excues for monsters to be mown down, which seems to be the point that Doom is getting marked down on.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

Saw the trailer, wasn't overly impressed. Looked like your typical squad of soldiers sent into the unknown only to find monsters who kill them one by one. Which brings the brilliant Aliens II to mind.

Will still go see the movie however.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭Jazzy

harry knowles from aint it cool news also said it was a cool movie and really good fun.... he raises alot of good points about the film relating to the games aswell, check it out here: http://www.aintitcool.com/display.cgi?id=21599

im gonna go see it aswell, do ppl know wat date it is out though? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 55,516 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Its out next Friday.... (along with Saw 2, Adventures of Zorro, and possibly Flightplan). Busy weekend ahead for cinemas......

• Registered Users Posts: 8,070 ✭✭✭Placebo

1up.com gave it a 2 out of 10 i think

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

Roger Ebert said Doom is like some kid came over and is using your computer and won't let you play.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,997 ✭✭✭jaggeh

ENG_20051024.jpg

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 10,304 ✭✭✭✭koneko

TmB wrote:
    Its out next Friday.... (along with Saw 2, Adventures of Zorro, and possibly Flightplan). Busy weekend ahead for cinemas......

Which cinema did you check? UGC.ie and UCI.ie make no mention of it.

I know it'll probably be quite bad, I'm not expecting it to be good in any way shape or form, but secretly I'll enjoy it's mindless action and injokes. The other films mentioned don't interest me in the slightest (but I have yet to see Corpse Bride)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,405 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I kind of feel obliged to go and see this, just like with the Resident Evil films. Thank god I didn't feel the same for Street Fighter. Still haven't seen it although one of my brothers friends says it is the greatest comedy ever.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,065 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

Retr0gamer wrote:
    I kind of feel obliged to go and see this, just like with the Resident Evil films. Thank god I didn't feel the same for Street Fighter. Still haven't seen it although one of my brothers friends says it is the greatest comedy ever.

Dong get me started on the resident evil films...CGI zombies! :(

Koneko: Dont you think the corpse bride looks dreadfully dull ? or is it just me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

Corpse Bride is delightfuly charming.

It's the songs that are a bit dull. Elfman is following up on his crappy work on the oompa loompa songs.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,488 ✭✭✭Goodshape

Don't think it's out until December here.

Can't find where I read that.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,304 ✭✭✭✭koneko

http://www.moviehouse.co.uk/comingsoon.asp?id=313

Seems to confirm that. Lists Doom movie as 02 Dec

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭Jazzy

my opinion - doom will get destroyed by critics that are looking for a well produced, brilliantly acted movie but lets be fair.... Doom was never a "deep" game so why should we expect a deep film?
    Doom was all about the guns, the action and blowing the bejaysus out of demons.... no characters, no story (really). I loved it as a kid, get blue key, go here shoot all these, pull lever to exit level. ppl on games forums accross the world WILL slag this film to pieces, then u'll find the occasional person adding - "Games should never become films". as i posted earlier, read Harry Knowles review of it, i think he describes the crossover and how the makers of the film managed it with good effect. he also gives it the dubious title of "Best game - film movie ever".
    if this is the case then it is a good stepping stone for other game-film conversions. Who knows the Halo film might actually be somewhat good (but probably not)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,831 ✭✭✭dloob

Well being stuck stateside at the moment I've seen the movie.
    It's not great, I found it pretty slow in places.
    They seem to have forgot to add the monsters.
    There was only a handful of them I'd be surprised if the frag count made it much into the double digits by the end.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,488 ✭✭✭Goodshape

dloob wrote:
    They seem to have forgot to add the monsters.
    There was only a handful of them I'd be surprised if the frag count made it much into the double digits by the end.
    Now that worries me.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭BKtje

Its more like Doom3 than the first two. Small spaces with a few "demons" rather than large open spaces where they come at you in waves.

Its the movie of doom3 rather than doom1/2 which is to be expected really.

I enjoyed it but its definately one where you leave your brain at the door.

Advertisement