Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sky news makeover

• 24-10-2005 1:17am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭

keep an eye out for it, starting at 6am tomorrow. They are moving out of their studios where they have been since 1989 and into new premises. Also loads of new presenters,

more scheduled shows rather than news bulletins every hour. worth a look anyway.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,958 ✭✭✭✭RuggieBear

are they going to change their name to Fox?;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭billy the squid

RuggieBear wrote:
    are they going to change their name to Fox?;)

it wouldnt surprise me if they did. the scheduled shows idea sounds like what fox do. although there is a former bill clinton advisor going to have a show on there, cant see fox doing something like that, of course FOX dont have the ITC to deal with.

it wouldnt surprise me if they did.

aye, that's what i was thinking. Not sure i like the idea of my "newsreaders" interpreting the news for me and giving me their own slant. There is enough bias at the editorial level imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,231 ✭✭✭✭Sparky

does anyone remember the time they were doing up the studios and they had to do the news infront of a green screen, it was so funny, they chose a pic of the background and you can clearly see a person just constantly standing there :D

plus if you went to sky news active and to the behind the scenes video and zoomed in you could see that they were presenting infront of a green screen

which reminds me it aint working now!

well it's brighter and the font has been changed to bold

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

Not much difference really to the site apart from load time which is much better than before. BBC news loads so fast I use that all the time, always steered clear of sky because of this.

Also it's interesting to have a flash banner ad running over the headlines, good call there Sky. Gotta love adblock.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,077 ✭✭✭parasite

meh, the best thing is the the sky news active deely loads very quickly, you watching bbc ? :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,836 ✭✭✭Vokes

The new logo is awful! Too much red.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

Terrible revamp.
    They may have well have the "Sky" part of the logo in white font / red background (as the "News" bit) - It'd look just like a tabloid masthead then.
    How apt!

Main poor point - the graphics bar that appears giving someones naming during an interview / news piece.
    There's 3 text pieces in 3 different sizes.

The 3 pieces are arranged as per below:

Title of person : Persons name
    Sensational headline re story

The "Sensational headline" has the larger font... Title of person is middle... and the smallest font goes to the persons name.
    It's so badly arranged - the persons name and title should be the larger size.
    Also, they should have the story headline kept on screen - perhaps as a thin strip on the top.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 278 ✭✭Niall123

So have they gotten rid of Sky news Ireland?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

The new website is horrible. The new channel seemed to have less of the SKy NEws banners and branding over video and pictures - which I liked.

SN Ireland is still here Niall123.

Niall123 wrote:
    So have they gotten rid of Sky news Ireland?

dont quote me on this but i think sky news ireland has moved to 6:30 and 10:30. the 10:30 bulletin is probably been rescheduled to compete with news 2.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 102 ✭✭Markham

Correct me if I'm wrong, but does the new 'makeover' not make sky news the most unwatchable news on European televission?

The faux casual 'gathering' at the table while they take turns reading the headlines. The little walk over to the desk. The one eejit (usually that guy with curly hair and small glasses) who stays behind to play with his unnecessary tablet laptop and the RIDICULOUS 'newswall'. The sprawling, distracting screen graphics.

And what really gets my goat - the way they butt in over each other with little 'did you knows' about the news items that are clearly written down in front of them. Newsreaders make pretty wooden actors.

FOR GOD's SAKE, SKY - DO I LOOK LIKE I'M FROM NEVADA????

Real news, please, not Foxed-up bull****. Sky, you are all twunts.

/switches to BBC

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

They went backwards with their revamp.
    Sky News has lost almost 300,000 viewers since its multi-million pound revamp three weeks ago. Official ratings from BARB show Sky News lost 300,000 viewers on average in the first week, with BBC News 24 gaining 200,000 viewers. Furthermore, Sky News is not doing well at weekends, with BBC News 24 managing 42 per cent more viewers. [Nov 13]

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

I have to say it is painful to watch and even a lot of the stories are total tosh. I'm sure the BS would work if you owned all the media in the country but they don't.

I don't even watch it as the clock channel now, I switch to RTE1 and check the aertel.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,506 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

RuggieBear wrote:
    well it's brighter and the font has been changed to bold

Bold eh, hmm it must be better and more important news reporting then :rolleyes:

Hobbes wrote:
    I have to say it is painful to watch and even a lot of the stories are total tosh. I'm sure the BS would work if you owned all the media in the country but they don't.

I don't even watch it as the clock channel now, I switch to RTE1 and check the aertel.

cant even use it as the clock channel as it is pushed off the screen by the widescreen format :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 102 ✭✭Markham

Did anyone see this program last night? It was on at 9.30, brilliant rip-off of all the bull**** techniques that folks like Sky News use to avoid having to produce any actual news.

Their 'standing news' was a perfect dig at Sky's 'news wall' that the git with the curly hair is obsessed with.

Flicking to Sky News after it was a seamless shift from parody to the desperate reality.

Advertisement