Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DSL issue

• 24-10-2005 7:55am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 10

I've just got dsl and am trying to connect my pc to the router. I was able to ping the router so i know that i was connected.

The next step was to configure the router. I Opened up the webpage typed in the ip address and was then prompted to enter the username and password once i done this the page started to open but only got as far as saying web configurator up at the very top, as in where it says Microsoft Internet Explorer.
    This page should open promptly as it is stored on the router.

The router and cable definitely work as i connected it to the laptop and it worked fine?

I rang my ISP and they were unable to help so far. Since i have spoken to them i have not been able to ping the router and when i do ipconfig its the wrong ip address, even when i select obtain ip address automatically and when i input the ip address i get the same issue.

I feel like i took ten steps back after calling the ISP.

Im using windows xp home SP1
    AMD Athlon XP 2000+
    VIA PCI 10/100MB Fast Ethernet Adapter

anyone any suggestions, similar experiences??

please help

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,303 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

sward wrote:
    when i do ipconfig its the wrong ip address

Release and renew the IP, then, in the command prompt.

ipconfig /release
    ipconfig /renew

It may help.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 820 ✭✭✭Diabolus

DHCP uses ports 67 & 68
    If it worked once it is more than likely that your Firewall allowed it.
    Then when u opened the admin page that it blocked the port as an intrusion.

Try Disabling your firewall or any security software on your PC to try and find the troublesome software.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,450 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

If you are showing an address starting with 69 it means that you are not getting it from the router - the pc is generating it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,231 ✭✭✭✭Sparky

yeah it should start with 192.
    68. sounds more like a windows auto address alright

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 sward

when it worked the address i got when i did a ping started with 192. but it just wont work now. Dont have a firewall. Just one on the router and i hardly think that would block itself.

• Advertisement

I am using a ZyXel Prestige 660W/HW Series

just to let you know that when i ping i get 0.0.0.0 and sometimes 169.254.106.17. but before i rang the isp i could get the correct ip address

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,450 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

sward wrote:
    I am using a ZyXel Prestige 660W/HW Series

just to let you know that when i ping i get 0.0.0.0 and sometimes 169.254.106.17. but before i rang the isp i could get the correct ip address

Well the pc is generating the 169 address itself so that is the reason that you are getting nowhere.

what changes did the isp get you to make to your pc settings?

have you tried unistalling the network card and the reinstalling it to try and clear out any rubbish that might be hanging around?

I once had a peculiar situation where I could not access a router via internet explorer but could through firefox have you tried a different browser to access the router?

Could you reset the router to its default settings then just put in the basic settings via the laptop and try again with the pc?

I fixed it, disabled the Local Area Connection and then enabled it and everthing worked just fine after that.

Thank you for all the help and suggestions.

:D

Advertisement