Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Broadband providers await Eircom's MRD

Options
  • 24-10-2005 8:43am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,290 ✭✭✭

http://www.siliconrepublic.com/news/news.nv?storyid=single5571
    The end may be in sight for a long-running dispute over local loop unbundling (LLU) between incumbent Eircom and the Commission for Communications Regulation (ComReg) when Eircom delivers its much-anticipated market requirements document (MRD) on Monday to the regulator plus LLU access seekers BT, Smart Telecom and Magnet.
    LLU refers to the process by which the last mile of Eircom’s copper network into homes and businesses is opened up for use by competitors. It is seen in many countries as a vital means of increasing the spread of DSL broadband. Effectively it governs licensed operators placing their equipment on Eircom exchanges.

Industry insiders say that if the MRD is progressive, in the sense that both Eircom and the industry find common ground that they can work on, Irish homes and businesses could soon enjoy broadband speeds of up to 24Mbps as consumed in some European countries today because innovation and investment would flourish.

Eircom’s decision to issue the MRD to ComReg and the various LLU access seekers stems from its defeat of ComReg in a High Court action in August. The High Court held ComReg could not use an enforcement order to compel Eircom to implement the decision in January around LLU that Eircom was in the process of appealing to an appeal panel.

In a form of settlement following the case, Eircom told ComReg that it will issue an MRD on 24 October.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,372 ✭✭✭The Bollox

will we get this automatically if we are using Eircom BB or will we have to go for another package?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

This is about Eircoms competition more so. Like smart. So it will not benefit Eircom customers. then again i could be wrong..

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

Marts wrote:
    will we get this automatically if we are using Eircom BB or will we have to go for another package?
    Google for "local loop unbundling" to figure out what it means Marts.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,430 ✭✭✭JohnC.

What's that you say? Eircoms MeRDe?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,886 ✭✭✭cgarvey

How long before we (the public), or OLOs find out about the implications therein?

.cg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,290 ✭✭✭damien

OLOs and ComReg were meant to get the docs tonight.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,144 ✭✭✭eircomtribunal

There was a report on the issue in the business part of rte 5-7 live tonight. Mike Maloney of BT was interviewed. He said that currently not over 80% as Eircom claims can get dsl, but merely 60% to 65 %.

Is that part available on the RTE website, I wonder?

P

• Registered Users Posts: 2,077 ✭✭✭parasite

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭Maskhadov

Will Eircon carry out the LLU now ? or will the court battle continue ?

eircom response to ComReg Market Requirements

Document on Local Loop Unbundling (LLU)

Issued 25 October 2005. eircom has responded to ComReg and the access seekers
    regarding their requests through the market requirements document (MRD) for
    new forms of LLU access. eircom has requested that ComReg convene an industry
    forum to define and agree the appropriate mechanisms for a product known as
    LLU/GNP (geographic number portability). eircom's analysis shows that the
    systems development to deliver a product specifically as requested would take
    18 months following industry agreement and would cost €13m. The underlying
    IT developments were proposed by eircom as part of the LLU product in 2001,
    but were rejected at that time as unnecessary by the Regulator and industry.

eircom believes that there is currently no case for a migration process as
    proposed in the MRD. Further, eircom has proposed that ComReg should conduct
    a full market analysis, consultation and regulatory impact assessment before
    considering any further actions.

eircom looks forward to working with the industry and ComReg to ensure that
    customers can benefit from further access eircom's network.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,660 ✭✭✭crawler

Sadly - more or less exactly what I expected :(

• Registered Users Posts: 3,886 ✭✭✭cgarvey

I thought there'd be some token half-assed effort, but alas

• Registered Users Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭machalla

They must be a prime case study in how to maintain a monopoly successfully.
    Well we were only 14th out of 15 on that recent study. Next year lets go for number 15!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,660 ✭✭✭crawler

cgarvey wrote:
    I thought there'd be some token half-assed effort, but alas

Initially, what I thought also but after the recent court case win etc I got the feeling it was doomed....they were priming the market for this recently too...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

The 'margin squeeze' directive from Comreg has gone up the swannee too , Bitstream operators will not have a great time in the absence of LLU either. !

• Registered Users Posts: 3,712 ✭✭✭Praetorian

Nice delay tactic there by eircom. I'm sure they'll do their best to keep us from the benefits of LLU for as long as they can; 18-24 months wouldn't surprise me with our weak submissive regulator.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,144 ✭✭✭eircomtribunal

Eircom seem to be very confident that both the DCMNR and the ComReg are incompetent and impotent entities.

Why else would they not head the citigroup advice to them:
    Despite winning the regulatory battles, eircom could still lose the war.

eircom appears to be using all the loop-holes at its disposal to frustrate the definition of a workable ULL process. It would be easy to conclude that this is simply an attempt to delay for as long as possible before the floodgates eventually burst. However, in our view eircom is actually playing a clever game to enhance its negotiating/bargaining position. Ultimately, the company must know that the processes behind ULL will be defined – there appears to be too much commercial pressure all around for this not to be the case. We believe that eircom’s objective is to ensure that the economic model and the time frame for full adoption are as favourable as possible from its perspective.
    The danger is that eircom pushes too aggressively and that the political masters lose patience. The endgame for all stakeholders in the Irish market must be a portfolio of linked wholesale products.

We saw Minister Noel Dempsey already dangerously loosing his patience and pleading on the airwaves that Eircom should now act in the common interest...

P.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Blaster99

Is he likely to do anything more substantial than plead?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

I cannot imagine Noel Dempsey being able to arm-wrestle Eircom into a more co-operative attitude. Dermot Ahern, a capable minister, couldn't force too much out of them. And all it really amounted to was a poor-value FRIACO directive.

I'm suprised that the government have not considered throwing money at Eircom to get the job done - the availability problem is giving the Govt flak from a number of directions like IOFFL, IBEC, the competing teleco's, advisory bodies and from private individuals in high places. Let us not forget that Dermot got his own exchange enabled in Blackrock (Co. Louth). Mabye they have, but perhaps nothing will happen until closer to election time.

As for Eircom, I'm not suprised... Must their MRD be accepted? I don't see why there should be such conflicting ideas between Eircom and the OLOs. Either it works or it doesn't:mad:

Blaster99 wrote:
    Is he likely to do anything more substantial than plead?

Maybe. Noel has aproblem (see my sig :D ) and may have to quickly push a general Comms Bill before the Dáil in order to protect the futre and the operational integrity of our Postal service .

I would add some provisions to this bill to ensure that Ireland actually reaches the stated and essentially vapourificatious Dempsey target of (500k connections end 2006 was it) and if that is not likely to be reached an immediate review of Eircom will start end 2006 latest with a view to breaking the monopoly up.

This really means the review can start as soon as the Act becomes law, about March or April. As for Comreg I would formally and finally abolish it in March / April when bill becomes an Act as an institutional failure. Thats how useless and futile Comreg is

Then restablish its sucessor as an arm of the Competition Authority and hire some of the more ept members as regulatory droids , frankly most can go rot or get useful jobs in Spar and Centra . Not having any 'Comreg' for 6 months would be no worse than 6 months of pain watching them do nothing and complain endlessly about their doing (or not) of the nothing ...as usual.

Pushing for a Comms Act to do the above may be an interesting policy plank for the IofffL committee :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 638 ✭✭✭Mr_Man

This would be an ideal time for the DCMNR and Comreg to get to-gether and really put it up to Eircom. The Department should put all telecoms contracts coming up for renewal out to tender and inlcude conditions which promote competition in the Irish market.

Comreg should ask for the ECAP hearing to be accelerated, if possible, and in the meanime work with the Department to draft regulations which will give it the teeth necessary to do a prpoer job. If necessary some heavy hitters should be drafted in to give the body the spine it is so obiviously lacking.

I say this is unlikely because with an election coming up in the near future the politicos are unlikely to risk antagonising Sir Anto in case "the editors" who brought us the hatchet job on Liam Lawlors family decide to go after them.

Geldof got it right when he wrote
    'banana republic septic isle'

So fcuking depressing.........:(

M.

Mr_Man wrote:
    I say this is unlikely because with an election coming up in the near future the politicos are unlikely to risk antagonising Sir Anto in case "the editors" who brought us the hatchet job on Liam Lawlors family decide to go after them.
    Not so much "Sir" Anto imho, more being seen to be lefty (not Bertie's rather queer definition, mind). If they give regulators teeth or do anything else even remotely anti-corporate (or pro-government, obviously), they're lefties, and their corporate sponsors won't like that.

The only option open to them is to throw money at Eircom, and obviously they can't do that either. So essentially they're in a holding pattern.

Nothing's going to happen unless they get a Push, capital P. A Big Push, capital B, capital P. Corporations will push, but not hard enough, because the only solutions are - you guessed it - anti-corporate and pro-government. Which leaves... ;)

adam

Abolishing Comreg will not piss anyone off , its beautiful :D

And remove the DCMNR's shield? More chance of Bertie and John Bruton putting on some Barry White, dimming the lights, breaking open a carton of red wine-like alcoholic beverage and ...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭scojones

This country sickens me sometimes :(

Damien's post sickened me. Major nausea.

The only bit of Comreg the DCMNR actually wants ( think CA$H€€$H people ) is spectrum licencing .

• Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭jwt

Found this while searching for LLU refernces

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=81541

That was july 2001!!!!

John

• Registered Users Posts: 6,316 ✭✭✭OfflerCrocGod

jwt wrote:
    That was july 2001!!!!
    There was no demand.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭viking

Eircom's rivals criticise plans for network access
    Barry O'Halloran
    Eircom's competitors yesterday said its proposals for allowing access to its network did not go far enough and accused it of hindering the development of broadband services in the Republic.

The company has given a report to communications regulator, ComReg, and to its competitors detailing how it intends to open up access to the lines connecting its exchanges with consumers and businesses.

Opening up this link, known as the last mile or the local loop, would allow its competitors to connect their own equipment to customers, and offer them their own services. Currently they rent Eircom lines at wholesale rates.

Eircom has agreed to tackle one issue raised by competitors. This is allowing customers who switch from its service to a competitor's local loop product to keep their number. But it says this will take 18 months and will cost €13 million and warns that it will not carry this cost itself.

Another key issue for competitors is allowing customers using their wholesale services to switch to a local loop-based product without a break in service. Eircom is refusing to facilitate this.

Reacting to an Eircom statement detailing the proposals, BT chief executive for Ireland, Scotland and Wales, Danny McLoughlin said the company's stance would damage the Republic's competitiveness.

"The Eircom press release is very disappointing news for customers, for the development of innovative services and for the extension of choice through competitiveness," he said.

Chairman of consumer lobby group, Ireland Offline, Damien Mulley, argued that access to the last mile was key to the development of broadband. The Republic's low level of broadband availability is damaging its ability to attract multi-national investment.

"Ireland will never recover in the broadband stakes if this attitude is left to prevail," he said. "We feel now that only direct ministerial intervention can resolve this issue."

However, Eircom's commercial director, David McRedmond, said last night that the issue of broadband availability was not connected to access to the local loop.

Eircom's report says that facilitating the switch from wholesale to local loop-based products will simply aggravate the digital divide by allowing its competitors to invest most in profitable urban areas.

Mr McRedmond claimed that this could create a situation where Eircom would be forced to invest in equipment to allow competitors to sell wholesale products, which they could then bypass once they have recruited enough customers to make local loop-based services viable.

This would leave the company with large amounts of redundant equipment in its exchanges, he said.

© The Irish Times

Advertisement