Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Astrology and the moon

Options
  • 24-10-2005 10:14am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 686 ✭✭✭

When it comes to astrology I'm a total skeptic. I certainly don't believe in horoscopes. One aspect of it I find more intruiging is the area of birth charts, where the allignment of the planets is calculated at the exact time of your birth, which apparently is what people call real astrology.

One fascinating point a friend of mine mentioned to me was the pull of the moon and its affects on our emotions and moods. He said, as the moon controls the tides, the pull of the moon also causes the water in our body to change its position, leadig to a change in emotional state.

As we are made mostly of water, I'd like to know from a purely scientific viewpoint, if what he says is correct ie the movement of water in our bodies

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

Im no scientist but some people do strange things around the full moon. So there is probably some basis to it but only with some people and the effect is very little. I cant see how astrology has anything to do with it. Its a load of BS as far as im concerned.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 395 ✭✭albertw

The Troll wrote:
    One fascinating point a friend of mine mentioned to me was the pull of the moon and its affects on our emotions and moods. He said, as the moon controls the tides, the pull of the moon also causes the water in our body to change its position, leadig to a change in emotional state.

As we are made mostly of water, I'd like to know from a purely scientific viewpoint, if what he says is correct ie the movement of water in our bodies

Gravity is gravity. Its pulls everything not just water. So if your friend is seriously suggesting that the water gets tugged more then they nead to read more Leaving Cert Physics as less astrology.

This doesnt happen with the tides. The Earth is a big planet. The moon tuggs on it. The water on the far side is tugged least, the water on the moon side is tugged most, and the earth gets moved a bit in the middle. The sum effect of this on a planet 12750km in diameter is that it makes water rise and drop a few meters. Your head is about what 10's of cm's in diameter. The moons gravitation effect on one side of your head versus the other is neglible. (If someone reading this is bored in college they can work it out!).

Cheers,
    ~Al

Advertisement