Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why was O'Brien not at Troi/Riker wedding?

• 24-10-2005 11:34am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,990 ✭✭✭

I mean, even the boy was there. Is there any accepted reason? Or was Colm Meaney not available?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,239 ✭✭✭MrVestek

He probably just wasn't available would be the most likely reason. Hell there were even scenes with Picard chatting to 'The Boy' as you put it in the wedding scene but were cut from the final movie, and weren't even included on the DVD... bah.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,892 ✭✭✭bizmark

Busy at starfleet hq designing the ultimate sex robot .......obrian you old dog:p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,990 ✭✭✭Johnny Storm

Achilles wrote:
    He probably just wasn't available would be the most likely reason. Hell there were even scenes with Picard chatting to 'The Boy' as you put it in the wedding scene but were cut from the final movie, and weren't even included on the DVD... bah.
    As in "Get the boy off the bridge" - just about the most sensible thing Picard ever said IMHO
    I believe those scenes are on new 2 disc so-called special edition
    http://trekweb.com/articles/2005/10/03/4341ab2e33f28.shtml

Ultimate Star Trek sex robot - now THERE's a topic for a thread.

OOOHHHhhhh, I look forward to seeing those. I won't be buying the special edition tho just to get a few more minutes worth of extras. I'm sure I can borrow it off of somebody.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,836 ✭✭✭Vokes

Well, O'Brien was never really part of the Next Gen clique, was he?

Although, i seem to recall him playing poker once :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

Maybe he was there. He could have popped out to use the bathroom :D

True whilst he wasn't one of the major characters there were a few episodes where he features quite a bit as a main character, for that episode anyways. I can't remember the episode's name at the minute but there's an episode where Data, Troi and O'Brien all become posessed by ghosts when orbiting some planet, where O'Brien threatens to kill his wife and their just born child. He featured quite heavily as a main character in that episode. Also, whilst not major, he featured quite a bit on the Bridge and on the Battle Bridge in the TNG Pilot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,921 ✭✭✭✭Pigman II

O'Brien was never a member of the TNG main cast so maybe the producers felt it was inappropriate? As for 'The Boy' he was, lest we forget, a main cast member for 3 years which I reckon makes him a more important character to tng at least.

Now tbh I don't even remember this wedding in ST10 (thought it was a pretty forgetable movie in general too) but for the sake of argument was Ensign Ro or Guinan or any of the recurring characters at it either?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,592 ✭✭✭Ro: maaan!

Pigman II wrote:
    but for the sake of argument was Ensign Ro or Guinan or any of the recurring characters at it either?
    Good point. 'Cept for Ro. She kinda betrayed them all to join the Maquis. So she'd either be dead, or in jail by that time. I'd say they just didn't care enough to get everyone there for it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,488 ✭✭✭Goodshape

Just another in the long list of ways that movie could have been so much better.

Worf was there for it, yea? I forget, was that the reason they used for getting him onboard? If so, then surly O'Brien would have tagged along from DS9.

A pity anyway.. always liked the character.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

Guinan was there IIRC

BuffyBot wrote:
    Maybe he was there. He could have popped out to use the bathroom :D
    That's probably the most likely explanation so far........;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,082 ✭✭✭lostexpectation

i dunno maybe his(colm meanys) kids college education had been paid for at that stage,

it funny isn't that Colm Meany has gotten more film work _in the US_ out of Star Trek then any other character apart from Patrick Stewart.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 630 ✭✭✭LastIrishMonkey

cause obriens knows he's better then them in everyway! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,698 ✭✭✭✭BlitzKrieg

Worf was there for it, yea? I forget, was that the reason they used for getting him onboard? If so, then surly O'Brien would have tagged along from DS9

nemesis is set after ds9...
    o brian and work both leave ds9 at the end of season 7, o brian is head of starfleet academy enginering division and worf was kligon ambassador to the federation(under martok), dont know why that wasnt mentioned in nemesis

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,628 ✭✭✭Asok

He was where every irishman is at a wedding ...passed out drunk under a table while searching for alien poon.

Asok wrote:
    He was where every irishman is at a wedding ...passed out drunk under a table while searching for alien poon.
    Wow, so that's why I woke up at the bar in Bruxelles after the fancy dress party with a hawt blue alien lady beside me...

Asok wrote:
    Good one, LOL
    .... or maybe he was outsiding having the traditional wedding punch-up with Thomas Riker ? :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 779 ✭✭✭mcgarnicle

Good one, LOL
    .... or maybe he was outsiding having the traditional wedding punch-up with Thomas Riker ? :rolleyes:

In DS9 didn't Thomas Riker hate O'Brien, maybe Will Riker hates him too.

mcgarnicle wrote:
    In DS9 didn't Thomas Riker hate O'Brien, maybe Will Riker hates him too.
    Yeah, Thomas made some inexplicable remark to O'Brien but that was while he was pretending to be Will R. Who knows what it all portends? :v: :v: :v: :rolleyes:

I'm most inclined to believe O'Brien was outside being "calmed down" by StarFleet Military Police

• Advertisement

Yeah, Thomas made some inexplicable remark to O'Brien but that was while he was pretending to be Will R. Who knows what it all portends? :v: :v: :v: :rolleyes:

I'm most inclined to believe O'Brien was outside being "calmed down" by StarFleet Military Police
    Thomas Riker was sent to a Cardassian internment camp in DS9 and was never heard from again. If the Cardassians couldn't successfully use him to infiltrate Starfleet in some manner pretending to me Will Riker again then he's most probably been killed.

Achilles wrote:
    Thomas Riker was sent to a Cardassian internment camp in DS9 and was never heard from again. If the Cardassians couldn't successfully use him to infiltrate Starfleet in some manner pretending to me Will Riker again then he's most probably been killed.

Yes but he was pretending to be Will when he had his outbirst at O'Brien.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 629 ✭✭✭enterprise

I never understood that outburst. Any body got any ideas?

enterprise wrote:
    I never understood that outburst. Any body got any ideas?

I heard some theory that since Thomas was trying to trick everyone into believing that he was Will he wanted to avoid O'Brien as he would know alot about Will and could notice that something wasn't quite right and raise the alarm.

mcgarnicle wrote:
    I heard some theory that since Thomas was trying to trick everyone into believing that he was Will he wanted to avoid O'Brien as he would know alot about Will and could notice that something wasn't quite right and raise the alarm.
    That sounds the most probable to me. O'Brien was serving aboard the Enterprise at the time so he would have known about their aquiring of a "new" Commander Riker.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,457 ✭✭✭Cactus Col

mcgarnicle wrote:

that's the one I went with too, but troi's mother wasn't there either was she?

and I know she was heading to her home planet for a ceremony there, but, if worf could make it for both, I don't see why her own mother couldn't.

Cactus Col wrote:
    that's the one I went with too, but troi's mother wasn't there either was she?

and I know she was heading to her home planet for a ceremony there, but, if worf could make it for both, I don't see why her own mother couldn't.
    Maybe she was, theres was like 40 mins cut from the original cut of the movie. Some stuff that was in there really should have stayed in tbh.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 2,094 ✭✭✭halenger

Maybe it's just me, but did they not say something about her refusing to go because it wasn't a traditional wedding? i.e. she would've had to have been clothed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 981 ✭✭✭tj-music.com

I am glad that all scenes with Wesley Crusher were cut out. He is and always has been the worst character in Star Trek!

O'Brien wasn't there because his wife didn't allow him to go. She is the second worst character in all of Star Trek!

• Advertisement

mcgarnicle wrote:
    Yes but he was pretending to be Will when he had his outbirst at O'Brien.
    Yeah but that would just have been due to the fact that O'Brien was on the Enterprise-D when they discovered Thomas Riker so it would have been just a ruse to get him out of the Defiant before he suspected anything. Anyways when I said he had been captured by the Cardassians that was at the end of the episode, it was a bargaining chip by Starfleet to get the Defiant back.

Advertisement