Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal Penalty.....

• 24-10-2005 11:47am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,479 ✭✭✭

http://home.skysports.com/broadband.asp?showclip=yes

heres a clip of it, read mourinhos comment at the end, its classic.

how would ye feel if this had worked out? personally i would have felt so pi$$ed off. i know its within the rules of the game and we should all appreciate a bit of creativity but i would have been pi$$ed!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

I thought it was one of the funniest things I'd ever seen in footall. The look on everybody's face when it happened, absolutely priceless. Danny Mills wasn't too pleased with Pires either. You could see him calling Pires a Twát as he was walking away.
    You can understand his point of view though. It doesn't matter what spin Arsenal put on it, it showed a total lack of respect for Man City. Fair enough if they were 3-0 up or something.

The problem with trying something like that is you have to be 100% sure you can pull it off, if not you just look like a muppet.

It'll be replayed over and over again on shows like A Question of Sport for years to come.

B.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,921 ✭✭✭✭Pigman II

Whether he touched it twice or not it should have been retaken as you can clearly see a mancity foot inside the box before Pires completes his run-up to the ball.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,479 ✭✭✭wheres me jumpa

BaZmO* wrote:

It'll be replayed over and over again on shows like A Question of Sport for years to come.

B.

yeah we'll really start to reap the benefits when were 80 and we can impress our grandkids with the answer,

"it was teres and hendry"

yeah we'll really start to reap the benefits when were 80 and we can impress our grandkids with the answer,

"it was teres and hendry"

If you're gonna impress them, you might want to get the names right! ;)

B.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭Necronomicon

At least for Pires it overshadowed another embarrassing moment; when he clashed with Danny Mills, lashed out with his hand and then clutched it as if Mills had broken it with his stomach:)

• Advertisement

im hoping you realised i was joking in the above!

im hoping you realised i was joking in the above!

Well I did....;)

B.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

what are the rules on this? does the ball not have the travel a certain distance from a dead ball, i.e. 10 yards? does anybody know for certain if there are rules regarding "passing" a penalty? i think the only problem with this was the fact that pires is alleged to have touched the ball 2 times and henry just stood there looking at him

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,294 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

That is correct. You are perfectly allowed to tip the ball to a team mate as long as you dont touch the ball twice. Just ask Johan Cruyff and the boys.

By the way that clip isnt working for me. Must be the stupid college computers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,164 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

I don't think this went wrong because they chose to pass the ball. If Pires had managed to pass to Henry and then Henry miss or have James come out and smother the ball then yes you could say the idea failed. Pires just completely and utterly screwed up, I'm sure in practice the ball is supposed to move more than 1 inch.

• Advertisement

The rules state that the ball only has to move forward, and as Pires ever so slightly touched the ball it did infact move forward.

B.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,053 ✭✭✭jimbling

i think the ball has to roll at least one full revolution..

this was brought in to stop guys just touching the ball in indirect free kicks... then next guy comes along and takes a shot , when everyone else thinks he has to pass it off......

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,386 ✭✭✭d22ontour

Thanks for the link that's the 1st time i seen it. :eek:

Why didn't he just let Henry take it in the 1st place ?

They could lose a league position this season by one goal and it would be funny if they did though it may be unlikely. :p

jimbling wrote:
    i think the ball has to roll at least one full revolution..

From Fifa.com
    The player taking the penalty kicks the ball forward.

He does not play the ball a second time until it has touched another player.

The ball is in play when it is kicked and moves forward.

Just says that the ball has to go forward.

B.

the ball no longer has to move one revolution it just has to move forward.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,541 ✭✭✭Davei141

What mourinho said at the end was spot on :D, lost count the amount of penos they got.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,545 ✭✭✭Green_Martian

You have to love Mourinhos comment lol:D

I don't see how anyone can take Mourinho's comments seriously when he will moan for 5 minutes about Drogba's disallowed goal and then when asked did he think Everton should have had a penalty he just says 'no'... not even saying it wasn't handball or any other reason why it shouldn't be a penalty, just 'no'. He does that sort of thing regularly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 728 ✭✭✭randomfella

One team i played against the guy taking the corner rolled the ball out as if he was giving it to another lad to take but in fact that was the corner. One of their players walked towards the ball while we thought he was going to pick it up and take it but he just turned around, at this stage close to goal just outside box. Crossed in and they scored. VEry clever trick obviously practiced it down to a tee.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

One team i played against the guy taking the corner rolled the ball out as if he was giving it to another lad to take but in fact that was the corner. One of their players walked towards the ball while we thought he was going to pick it up and take it but he just turned around, at this stage close to goal just outside box. Crossed in and they scored. VEry clever trick obviously practiced it down to a tee.
    Arsenal also did that recently, but the referee awarded a free kick to the other team.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 460 ✭✭dcarroll

kaids wrote:
    Arsenal also did that recently, but the referee awarded a free kick to the other team.
    Beckham and Giggs tried this before in the Champions League, she got booked for it

dcarroll wrote:
    Beckham and Giggs tried this before in the Champions League, she got booked for it

I assume by she you mean Beckham.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

kaids wrote:

Liverpool did it in the champions league last year. Garcia took it and th eref made him re-take it.

Whats th esituation re: stats? I assume it goes down as a penalty miss for Pires? Also even if Henry had got the pass and scored, surely its still a penalty miss from Pires.

when did united do it? and liverpool for that matter?

has anyone got a clip of cryuff?? i heard it was sweet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

when did united do it? and liverpool for that matter?.
    Stekelly wrote:
    Liverpool did it in the champions league last year. Garcia took it and th eref made him re-take it..

Thats as close as I can get, cant remember which game. You do realise we had moved on from Penalties to corners?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,057 ✭✭✭TheMonster

The player taking the penalty kicks the ball forward.

He does not play the ball a second time until it has touched another player.

The ball is in play when it is kicked and moves forward.
    Does that mean if the ball comes back of the post that the taker cannot play it. I am sure I have seen this happen.

post seems a bit high and mighty, i wasnt trying to prove you rand, i genuinely cant remember it.

i thought if the ball comes back out the kicker cant touch it. but then alonso followed up the save in the champions league final. so maybe its just the post.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

has anyone got a clip of cryuff?? i heard it was sweet.
    http://www.megaupload.com/de/?d=RAAGJ8XJ

• Closed Accounts Posts: 390 ✭✭Brock

how the hell was cryuff not offside in that clip

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

Brock wrote:
    how the hell was cryuff not offside in that clip
    Once you're behind (or on line) with the player who has the ball you can't be offside.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,294 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

Nice clip Eirebhoy. Again you always manage to find the clips people ask for.

Just say the Pires penalty now. what an idiot. He tried to pass he ball using the bottom of his boot and missed. All he had to do was sidefoot it and Henry would have been in. Thats going to be played for years to come just like David Dunnes trick gone wrong

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,921 ✭✭✭✭Pigman II

No wonder England can't produce many truly world-class players.

They're brought up a climate of 'try anything inventive or clever and we'll take the piss outta ya for the rest of your career for messing up'

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,657 ✭✭✭The Rooster

TheMonster wrote:
    Does that mean if the ball comes back of the post that the taker cannot play it. I am sure I have seen this happen.
    Correct. The taker cannot play it if it comes back off the post, unless someone else touches it.

Advertisement