Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

SIM copying

• 24-10-2005 11:48am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 97 ✭✭

My Vodafone SIM card got damaged and needed to be replaced. When I went into the Vodafone store the guy in there simply asked for my mobile number and my name. He then set me up with a replacement SIM no other questions asked.

What was to stop me being a random person off the street who simply knew someone elses name and mobile number and had now gotten access to their SIM?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,336 ✭✭✭Bluehair

trent wrote:
    My Vodafone SIM card got damaged and needed to be replaced. When I went into the Vodafone store the guy in there simply asked for my mobile number and my name. He then set me up with a replacement SIM no other questions asked.

What was to stop me being a random person off the street who simply knew someone elses name and mobile number and had now gotten access to their SIM?

Did he even photo ID you? If not I'd be really annoyed by this and would definately report him.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rew

There supposed verify a load of details with you at a mimimum. The call centre staff can be just as lax.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 97 ✭✭trent

Did he even photo ID you?

No. Didn't ask for my address, DOB or anything.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

they're supposed to ask you for your name, address and DOB. bill pay customers need photo id. which shop was this that doesn't ask that stuff? i might have a bit of fun with some mates :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

I would report them instantly! That's a bloody joke - though I've seen similiar things involving porting !

• Advertisement
Advertisement