Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Port Throttling ??

Options
  • 24-10-2005 1:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,163 ✭✭✭

My ISP has recently made changes to their network which has resulted in reduced bandwidth for P2P and Bit-Torrent downloads.

I initially thought it was port manipulation and tried changing ports to obscure unused numbers like 47777 and 47778 for both apps but the limit is still there. I get a total of 10KB/S shared among all files, i.e. if I'm d/ling 5 files they arrive at individual speeds that total 10KB/S.

There isn't a problem with my connection as I can download from WebDAV points and Apple Support at my connections full speed.

The ISP suppoprt line informed me that they are doing "something" to share the available bandwidth in a fairer way but they are NOT port blocking or throttling.

Anyone have any ideas ??

ZEN

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 920 ✭✭✭elvis2002

probably using a packet shaper, maybe using a device from Packeteer or something similar.
    http://www.packeteer.com/prod-sol/solutions/p2p.cfm

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Maybe mention what ISP this is, might allow people to suggest more valid fix's?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 920 ✭✭✭elvis2002

i think he's with clearwire if you look at his earlier ports. I'd be disconnecting their service today if it I was with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,163 ✭✭✭ZENER

elvis2002 wrote:
    i think he's with clearwire if you look at his earlier ports. I'd be disconnecting their service today if it I was with them.

Yeah spot on ! I think you may be right about the packet shaper. The description of the devices operation suggests it's immune to port changing.

I spoke to their support who said things should improve over the next week once they decide on the proportions they're prepared to allow. If not then I'll do as you would . . find another ISP. There's hardly any point in having a fast wide pipe if you can't use it . . :mad:

ZEN

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,863 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Back in the days NetSource just set all the heavy downloaders to contend with each other. What contention ratio is the package being sold as ?

• Advertisement
Advertisement