Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Fresh XP Pro Install using Upgrade disk from 2000

• 24-10-2005 1:13pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 593 ✭✭✭

Want to check if this will work before I go past the point of no return:

1. I have a PC with Windows 2000 installed. I want to upgrade it to Windows XP Pro.

I want to wipe the hard drive and install XP instead. I don't want to do an in place upgrade as I want a clean slate and not carry any existing problems over.

Cheapest option would seem Windows XP Pro Upgrade version. Windows 2000 is a qualifying OpSys, so that would seem okay.

However will doing a fresh install onto a wiped hard drive cause a problem? From googling I think the XP Upgrade installation will ask for a qualifying product, in which case I can pop in the Windows 2000 Cd in. Is that the way it works? Any catches?

2. I have a second PC on the same network also with Windows 2000 installed. It currently however doesn't have a DVD/CD drive installed. Will I have to temporarily install a CD drive or is there a way to do the install over the network? Once again I was thinking the XP Upgrade route.

Thanks folks :)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 919 ✭✭✭timeout

Yes it will work. Just boot from the cd and when it asks where you want to install it just delete the 2k partition,select teh new space and do a full format on it when promted.

Timeout

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 593 ✭✭✭davmigil

Thanks for the tip. I won't use my method so (formatting the disk first and then going to do the install). Your way it sees the qualifying product and still gives the option of a full format. Thanks for that :)

As a matter of interest, what would have happened if I wiped the hard drive first, would I end up having to install 2000 again or does the installer ask for the 2000 CD as part of the install?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 919 ✭✭✭timeout

Don't think it actually checks anything, i.e if u wiped drive it would still install.It just gives the option to run the cd from windows(load windows insert cd) and do an upgrade keeping files and programs but i always fine these type of installs unstable.

Usually boot of cd and just choose the delete partition and install in the free space provided, and do a quick format rather then full as it only takes longer.

Timeout

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 593 ✭✭✭davmigil

Thanks again timeout!

Advertisement