Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dial Up to BB

• 24-10-2005 1:21pm
    Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,223 Mod ✭✭✭✭

A friend of mine is trying to convince their Dad to switch from dial up to BB.

At the moment they spend approx €25-€30 a month on dial up so the first point I made that you can get BB for €35 (last I checked anyways).

As side from the financial package and speed is there any other arguments that can be made from switching to BB?

My friend and I live in Lucan and I recommended East BT because that’s what I am on and I know they have a phone/BB package.

Does any one know of any good deals/packages out there?

Also which companies are to be avoided? I hear IBB isn’t great.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,232 ✭✭✭MrVestek

€25-€30 a month on DIAL UP?! How do they manage that, unless it's a pay per minute thing. First off it'll be about 70 times faster than their current connection, and the phone wont have to be in use when they're online. Also, if they have more than one computer or laptop a wireless network can be set up to share the internet connection around the house.

Also as far as I'm away even the cheapest package from NTL, €25 a month is 1Mb down and 128k up. Living in Lucan you should be eligable for NTL.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,223 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

Achilles wrote:
    €25-€30 a month on DIAL UP?!

He more or less leaves the dial up on all day as far as know. Its crazy paying that much for dial up and thats why my mate wants to convince his dad to change

• Closed Accounts Posts: 326 ✭✭GarfieldConnoll

kearnsr wrote:
    He more or less leaves the dial up on all day as far as know. Its crazy paying that much for dial up and thats why my mate wants to convince his dad to change

The four core reasons to migrate from dial-up to broadband are:

1. It's a damn sight faster (more efficient use of own time).

2. It's always on (no more waiting for modem negotiations just to check mail).

3. It doesn't tie up your phone line (more efficiencies still).

4. It's a fixed fee (for most packages/ user combinations).

Garfield.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 387 ✭✭amby666

If as Achilles says, NTL is available to you, I'd recommend it.
    It doesn't use your phone line, so you can use someone like Blueface for Voip, port your existing phone number them and cancel the eircon line.
    Pretty well covers the cost of the BB.
    NTL also do the first 3 months free.

Advertisement