Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Car "delivery" charges

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,585 ✭✭✭HelterSkelter

Just looked at the site, 20 Ripoff Cards @ €4.67, that's 23c a card!! It's very expensive. I know you will argue that you have costs of printing, P&P, etc but I honestly think that is very poor value. That's approaching the cost of photo development!! If I had these card I'd be handing them out everywhere I go, a very expensive way to complain.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,027 ✭✭✭alleepally

Hobart wrote:
    Send me down the card, and I will print them out.

As for postage and packaging? Where did I mention that?

Also I think you may have misunderstodd my most generous offer. It was for you to make the pdf available and for me to print them out for others. I have no interest in promoting your site or "cause", by allowing you to piggy back on my generosity.

I think you are trying to rip me off!!

So how are "others" going to know you are printing them for free and how do you propose to print them for someone living in Galway for example. Are they going to have to travel to you to collect them?

The cards have www.ripoffcard.com printed on them so there is no escaping that.

This whole thread is now descending into farce. No matter what I do or say now it will thrown back at me .

alleepally wrote:
    So how are "others" going to know you are printing them for free and how do you propose to print them for someone living in Galway for example. Are they going to have to travel to you to collect them?

I presume he is going to print them for himself, friends, family, work colleagues, etc.

I know costs on direct marketing campaigns are logistic enough to say with confiedence that I believe you are making super normal profits. I don't think you offer a product of much value. I believe the product is useless and that through general market methods you have hyped it up. I am very critical of such operation that may appear to others as a noprofit organisation and using a public forum as a means to advertise. THis has all the characteristics of activites commonly connected to fraudulant or illegal activities. I would think you would want to distance yourself from such sites.

The only hype is created on this thread.

I presume he is going to print them for himself, friends, family, work colleagues, etc.

Why don't you let the man speak for himself. If he's printing for friends etc, 5000 is a lot of cards.

Also, once I put the PDF online he can do what he wants with it as you can. But since it's such a bad idea and worthless product why would anyone on this thread even want to download and print it

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 195 ✭✭rondjon

alleepally wrote:
    This whole thread is now descending into farce. No matter what I do or say now it will thrown back at me .

But it's fun :D And I'm handing in my notice on Friday so I've nothing to do but hang out here.

You've put yourself out there with a ridiculous idea, and you're floundering in the face of some constructive criticism. I'm sure you'd love if you could get some radio or newspaper coverage for your idea, to get more hits, and maybe more customers, but if you can't handle the issues/questions when you've loads of time to respond here, how are you going to handle Matt Cooper or Eamonn Dunphy.
    alleepally wrote:

Are you now claiming some copyright or trademark infringements here is someone else prints them out and makes them available for free? It's hardly an innovative idea (comment cards) - you're hardly claiming some sort of innovation here are you?

I know costs on direct marketing campaigns are logistic enough to say with confiedence that I believe you are making super normal profits. I don't think you offer a product of much value. I believe the product is useless and that through general market methods you have hyped it up. I am very critical of such operation that may appear to others as a noprofit organisation and using a public forum as a means to advertise. THis has all the characteristics of activites commonly connected to fraudulant or illegal activities. I would think you would want to distance yourself from such sites.

WHERE DOES IT SAY THIS IS A NONPROFIT... DO YOU WANT ME TO PUT A DISCLAIMER ON THE SITE.

I think it is QUITE CLEAR to any sentient being what the site is. It says it right on the tin ffs.

alleepally wrote:
    But since it's such a bad idea and worthless product why would anyone on this thread even want to download and print it

I think you'll find that for me anyway, I never argued with your idea, I was just ridiculing your intention to charge for such a card.

Is the PDF made available yet?

rondjon wrote:
    But it's fun :D And I'm handing in my notice on Friday so I've nothing to do but hang out here.

You've put yourself out there with a ridiculous idea, and you're floundering in the face of some constructive criticism. I'm sure you'd love if you could get some radio or newspaper coverage for your idea, to get more hits, and maybe more customers, but if you can't handle the issues/questions when you've loads of time to respond here, how are you going to handle Matt Cooper or Eamonn Dunphy.

Are you now claiming some copyright or trademark infringements here is someone else prints them out and makes them available for free? It's hardly an innovative idea (comment cards) - you're hardly claiming some sort of innovation here are you?

I have answered each and every issue. All I see now is axe grinding and individuals finding some new "fault" to have a go at.

I am not claiming any innovation I am merely pointing out that if the someone prints the cards from the pdf, the card design has www.ripoffcard.com on it. So someone who is vehemently opposed to "promoting" the site might find it sticks in the craw to print them and have www.ripoffcard.com on it.

rondjon wrote:
    I think you'll find that for me anyway, I never argued with your idea, I was just ridiculing your intention to charge for such a card.

Is the PDF made available yet?

the pdf is not on the machine I am typing this from at the moment and I won't be able to locate it until this evening but maybe I'll change my mind by then and give you more ammo to continue your crusade.

• Advertisement

alleepally wrote:
    I have answered each and every issue. All I see now is axe grinding and individuals finding some new "fault" to have a go at.

I am not claiming any innovation I am merely pointing out that if the someone prints the cards from the pdf, the card design has www.ripoffcard.com on it. So someone who is vehemently opposed to "promoting" the site might find it sticks in the craw to print them and have www.ripoffcard.com on it.
    They could edit the pdf

• Registered Users Posts: 4,839 ✭✭✭Hobart

alleepally wrote:

I will print them out FOC. I will not take on the cost of posting them. This is a genuine offer.

My objections to promting your website are in the context of allowing you to promote your website in the distribution of "free" cards (while trying to charge me for allowing you to do this).

As for somebody living in Galway, how do you know that I don't live in Galway, Letrim, Dublin, any other county? How do you know that I do not have the capability to print these cards in most major cities throught Ireland? Could I be working for a newspaper which owns 22 regionals and 4 national newspapers in Ireland? Could I have access to a lot of Print Press's in Ireland? I dunno, I could have.

As for the thread descending into farce, how is this? It is your business and you should be well able to defend your product. If the product or business model has flaws, well then be man enough to debate them and/or rectify them.

Anybody interested in my offer can email me at ripoffiireland@gmail.com .

alleepally wrote:
    I am not claiming any innovation

Oh!!!

So you're ripping off someone elses idea to make money off it????

:D

They could edit the pdf

No they couldn't without my permission.

rondjon wrote:
    Oh!!!

So you're ripping off someone elses idea to make money off it????

:D

HO HO HO

This is getting to be fun now.. Keep it coming.
    :D:D:D:D

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 3,816 Mod ✭✭✭✭LFCFan

I got a quote of approx. $100 (€83) including delivery for 2,000 full colour, double sided glossy business cards. That works out at around 4.15 cent a card or 83 cent for 20 cards. Add around 60c for postage and you're looking at €1.43 to produce and deliver the cards. Make it €2 to give yourself a bit of profit and you can see why people on this site will accuse you of ripping people off. Also, if you are so worried about people being ripped off, why not just tell us all what this big secret ripoff is so we can all benefit? Why charge us for the privalege?

alleepally wrote:
    HO HO HO

This is getting to be fun now.. Keep it coming.
    :D:D:D:D

Thats not an answer. Just pretend I'm George Hook, live on Newstalk106 asking now whether you're ripping off someone elses idea and trying to make money from it.

By your evasion of the question in the first place, I'm thinking that you actually are.

alleepally wrote:
    No they couldn't without my permission.

Well, for a start, without spending much time on it (and I've loads of time).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,031 ✭✭✭MorningStar

alleepally wrote:
    WHERE DOES IT SAY THIS IS A NONPROFIT... DO YOU WANT ME TO PUT A DISCLAIMER ON THE SITE.

I think it is QUITE CLEAR to any sentient being what the site is. It says it right on the tin ffs.

You should have a clear statement saying that yout sight is a for profit organisation . So the answer is yes I do want a disclaimer on your sight. I don't think it is clear enough especially giving the nature of your product.

I also don't think you should advertise your product on a free froum either.

rondjon wrote:
    Thats not an answer. Just pretend I'm George Hook, live on Newstalk106 asking now whether you're ripping off someone elses idea and trying to make money from it.

By your evasion of the question in the first place, I'm thinking that you actually are.

If you had read the post to which I replied about innovation, my response was based on the fact that comment cards are not innovative.

• Advertisement

Hobart wrote:
    I will print them out FOC. I will not take on the cost of posting them. This is a genuine offer.

My objections to promting your website are in the context of allowing you to promote your website in the distribution of "free" cards (while trying to charge me for allowing you to do this).

As for somebody living in Galway, how do you know that I don't live in Galway, Letrim, Dublin, any other county? How do you know that I do not have the capability to print these cards in most major cities throught Ireland? Could I be working for a newspaper which owns 22 regionals and 4 national newspapers in Ireland? Could I have access to a lot of Print Press's in Ireland? I dunno, I could have.

As for the thread descending into farce, how is this? It is your business and you should be well able to defend your product. If the product or business model has flaws, well then be man enough to debate them and/or rectify them.

Anybody interested in my offer can email me at ripoffiireland@gmail.com .

So do you own these printing presses and/or have permission from them to print as you wish?

I have answered every single question thrown at me but it doesn't seem to be enough for some people as they then try to find some other "flaw"...

You should have a clear statement saying that yout sight is a for profit organisation . So the answer is yes I do want a disclaimer on your sight. I don't think it is clear enough especially giving the nature of your product.

I also don't think you should advertise your product on a free froum either.

I will have to think about wording for sure so that I don't offend peoples intelligence....

If I am advertising then I will remove my sig but there are tons of other sigs on boards where people have links to their business.

alleepally wrote:
    I have answered every single question thrown at me but it doesn't seem to be enough for some people as they then try to find some other "flaw"...

Well, now that you mention it :D , you haven't answered any questions about the content of the "book".

You going to give us any insight into this ripoff that even the mighty Eddie Hobbs doesn't even know about?

LFCFan wrote:
    I got a quote of approx. $100 (€83) including delivery for 2,000 full colour, double sided glossy business cards. That works out at around 4.15 cent a card or 83 cent for 20 cards. Add around 60c for postage and you're looking at €1.43 to produce and deliver the cards. Make it €2 to give yourself a bit of profit and you can see why people on this site will accuse you of ripping people off. Also, if you are so worried about people being ripped off, why not just tell us all what this big secret ripoff is so we can all benefit? Why charge us for the privalege?

please send me link so I can get next batch of cards printed at a cheaper rate and the cost of the cards will come down. Don't forget the paypal charges too.

rondjon wrote:
    Well, now that you mention it :D , you haven't answered any questions about the content of the "book".

You going to give us any insight into this ripoff that even the mighty Eddie Hobbs doesn't even know about?

Oh he knows about it I'm sure but hasn't spoken of it.

So your interest was piqued then re: the ripoff? You can read all about when you purchase your cards.

rondjon wrote:
    Well, for a start, without spending much time on it (and I've loads of time).

you having loads of time explains a lot for me.

I have copyright on my design and you've modified it which you aren't entitled to do but you can of course produce your own design from scratch and set up a site to provide the cards for free.

alleepally wrote:
    Oh he knows about it I'm sure but hasn't spoken of it.

So your interest was piqued then re: the ripoff? You can read all about when you purchase your cards.

This just gets better and better :rolleyes:

Can I please buy the "book" without buying the cards? I don't want to be ripped off by buying some cards that I'll be able to print off myself tomorrow, but I would like to read the "book".

Where can I send the €2.10 for the "book" to? Come to think of it, €2.10 for a book. Now that's great value for money :D

rondjon wrote:
    This just gets better and better :rolleyes:

Can I please buy the "book" without buying the cards? I don't want to be ripped off by buying some cards that I'll be able to print off myself tomorrow, but I would like to read the "book".

Where can I send the €2.10 for the "book" to? Come to think of it, €2.10 for a book. Now that's great value for money :D

Isn't it though. I don't have a product set up for the ebook on its own.

alleepally wrote:
    I have copyright on my design and you've modified it which you aren't entitled to do but you can of course produce your own design from scratch and set up a site to provide the cards for free.

Well, to the best of my knowledge, copyright might not necessarily protect you here.

I may claim use of your card under the "Fair Use" clause.

Fair Use clause allows "Uses that advance public interests such as criticism, education or scholarship are favored -- particularly if little of another's work is copied."

So, if I'm making your "product" freely available to others for their own and the general Irish consumers benefit, in a situation where because you're charging for it and it's not being used much at all, then I'm probably okay to plagurise it totally - without even changing it.

However, if you've ripped this idea off someone else (which you're evading the question of enormously", then you're probably infringing copyright yourself.

"Uses that generate income or interfere with a copyright owner's income are not. Fairness also means crediting original artists or authors. (A teacher who copied, without credit, much of another's course materials was found to infringe.)"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,839 ✭✭✭Hobart

alleepally wrote:
    So do you own these printing presses and/or have permission from them to print as you wish?

That is none of your concern/business. My offer stands.
    alleepally wrote:
    What about the question regarding the supposed inflation of your printing costs? Here's a question for you, what do you base the price of your e-book on? and Why not give the e-book away? And where did you copyright your design? and how much did they charge you for the copyrighting?

Advertisement