Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Car "delivery" charges

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,027 ✭✭✭alleepally

rondjon wrote:
    Well, to the best of my knowledge, copyright might not necessarily protect you here.

I may claim use of your card under the "Fair Use" clause.

Fair Use clause allows "Uses that advance public interests such as criticism, education or scholarship are favored -- particularly if little of another's work is copied."

So, if I'm making your "product" freely available to others for their own and the general Irish consumers benefit, in a situation where because you're charging for it and it's not being used much at all, then I'm probably okay to plagurise it totally - without even changing it.

However, if you've ripped this idea off someone else (which you're evading the question of enormously", then you're probably infringing copyright yourself.

"Uses that generate income or interfere with a copyright owner's income are not. Fairness also means crediting original artists or authors. (A teacher who copied, without credit, much of another's course materials was found to infringe.)"

As I said, feel free to make your own design but I explicitly do not give permission to directly modify a PDF.

Re: ripping off the idea. READ THIS

The idea of a comment card is not innovative - how could it be. THAT is what I was referring to. The idea I have come up with (a card such as this) is MY OWN IDEA. I have not take anyone elses idea in this regard. Is that clear enough for you?

Hobart wrote:
    That is none of your concern/business. My offer stands.

What about the question regarding the supposed inflation of your printing costs? Here's a question for you, what do you base the price of your e-book on? and Why not give the e-book away? And where did you copyright your design? and how much did they charge you for the copyrighting?

How I base my prices is none of your concern either then.

If you take a photograph, you have automatic copyright. If you produce an original design you have automatic copyright.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 195 ✭✭rondjon

alleepally wrote:

So the page on your site explaining how you base your prices? Is that makey uppy stuff? Just some bumpf to fob people off?
    alleepally wrote:
    If you take a photograph, you have automatic copyright. If you produce an original design you have automatic copyright.

Within the bounds of what I've said already.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,839 ✭✭✭Hobart

alleepally wrote:
    Hold on a second. You are the one trying to justify this gimmick with phrases like "the only website in the world to do this" and others. You are the one who claims to be open and fair about your products and pricing. Now you are saying that it is none of my business? Some consistency please. I will ask you again

What do you base the cost of your e-book on? and Why don't you just give it away for free?
    This is not a photograph. Again your consistency seems to be waining, you claimed earlier that this is not an original idea. Now it is? Well, which is it? Why have you removed your campaiging and most helpful link from your sig?

Hobart wrote:
    Hold on a second. You are the one trying to justify this gimmick with phrases like "the only website in the world to do this" and others. You are the one who claims to be open and fair about your products and pricing. Now you are saying that it is none of my business? Some consistency please. I will ask you again

What do you base the cost of your e-book on? and Why don't you just give it away for free?

This is not a photograph. Again your consistency seems to be waining, you claimed earlier that this is not an original idea. Now it is? Well, which is it? Why have you removed your campaiging and most helpful link from your sig?

I was illustrating the concept of automatic copyright by using the example of a photograph or design.... It applies to a document too and well you know it... You are being pedantic and argumentative for the sake of it.

I base the cost of the ebook on the amount of time I spent compiling and designing it. I think my time is worth something and therefore the ebook is charged for along with extra cards.

• Advertisement

rondjon wrote:
    So the page on your site explaining how you base your prices? Is that makey uppy stuff? Just some bumpf to fob people off?

This illustrates my point that no matter what I do it's gets thrown back at me.

alleepally wrote:
    I was illustrating the concept of automatic copyright by using the example of a photograph or design.... It applies to a document too and well you know it... You are being pedantic and argumentative for the sake of it.
    I maybe being pedantic, but I also feel it's necessary to be straight and to have an air of clarity and fairness, when replying to somebody who has already made a threat they have no hope of backing up. Secondly you are contradicting yourself.
    I base the cost of the ebook on the amount of time I spent compiling and designing it. I think my time is worth something and therefore the ebook is charged for along with extra cards.
    How long did it take you to design and compile the e-book? How does the number of e-books sold reflect fairly the effort put into compiling it? If you sell more than you anticipated, will you reduce the cost of the e-book? If you reduce the cost of the e-book based on sales, will you not have ripped off the initial buyers of the book? Did you contact Eddie Hobbs for permission to use his name, or are you ripping him off?

Hobart wrote:
    I maybe being pedantic, but I also feel it's necessary to be straight and to have an air of clarity and fairness, when replying to somebody who has already made a threat they have no hope of backing up. Secondly you are contradicting yourself.

What "threat" are you talking about??????????????? How am I contradicting myself ???????????
    Hobart wrote:

How long did it take you to design and compile the e-book? How does the number of e-books sold reflect fairly the effort put into compiling it? If you sell more than you anticipated, will you reduce the cost of the e-book? If you reduce the cost of the e-book based on sales, will you not have ripped off the initial buyers of the book? Did you contact Eddie Hobbs for permission to use his name, or are you ripping him off?

[/quote]

About a week all told to compile it.

If I sell more than I anticipate, maybe, I don't know.

If that happens previous purchasers will get a Thumbs Up ebook I am working on to balance it out.

Did I contact Eddie Hobbs? No, do I need to ? Can you point me to the relevant section of law that says I need to do this? I am merely making a point that the poster boy for ripoff Ireland never mentioned this one thing in my ebook. Where is the problem with that please?

alleepally wrote:
    What "threat" are you talking about??????????????? How am I contradicting myself ???????????

You threatened one user with legal ramifications when you said "I'm taking legal advice on the accusations made here against me being fraudulant and ripping people off..". The threat was more implied than specific, but a threat nonetheless.

Did I contact Eddie Hobbs? No, do I need to ? Can you point me to the relevant section of law that says I need to do this? I am merely making a point that the poster boy for ripoff Ireland never mentioned this one thing in my ebook. Where is the problem with that please?
    You seem to have a unhealthy pre-occupation with the law. I never intimated that you were in breach of any laws when using his name, however he may have something to say to you if you where using his name to endorse or promote your "product".

Maybe as an act of courtest you should contact him and highlight the fact that you are not using his name for profit, more for the betterment of the general public.

• Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭SparkyLarks

This is a very entertaining thread, I must say.

I can;t believe all these people who want this guy to give away his e-book.
    If he sells it for a million pounds let him be. It's not a rip off. We live in a free market where a seller can put any price he want's on goods. The buyer can then decide to buy or not buy it. if someone wants to create an ebook and give it away off they go

An e book on rip off Ireland is not an essential item. like car insurance, or milk or nappies.

Again, same for the cards, if he don;t want them to be free, off he goes. If someone else wants to go off an make up comment cards which would allow the same thing to be done without infringing on copyright of course and give them out for free then noone is stopping them.

This guy's markup/margin ect is none of our buisness. If the price is too high noone will buy the product.

rodjon, you probably can't claim fair use and copy the card. Fair use is so that critics or educators can copy smallamounts of the work and quote it.

• Advertisement

Hobart wrote:
    You threatened one user with legal ramifications when you said "I'm taking legal advice on the accusations made here against me being fraudulant and ripping people off..". The threat was more implied than specific, but a threat nonetheless.

Again, this seems pedantic and argumentative... I don't take kindly (and I'm sure neither would you) to being accused of allsorts...

Hobart wrote:
    You seem to have a unhealthy pre-occupation with the law. I never intimated that you were in breach of any laws when using his name, however he may have something to say to you if you where using his name to endorse or promote your "product".

Maybe as an act of courtest you should contact him and highlight the fact that you are not using his name for profit, more for the betterment of the general public.

Others have brought more law aspects into this than I have... do you want me to quote them alll here. Using a persons name in a headline is not an endorsement but now that you point this out I will modify that graphic on the site.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

rondjon wrote:
    Well, to the best of my knowledge, copyright might not necessarily protect you here.

I may claim use of your card under the "Fair Use" clause.

Fair Use clause allows "Uses that advance public interests such as criticism, education or scholarship are favored -- particularly if little of another's work is copied."
    You've been reading from a website that covers copyright law in another jurisdiction I see. No marks for that if you live in this one. Probably no marks in this specific case even if you don't for pretty simple reasons.

I rather hope that the "compiling" of the ebook doesn't include anything written, drawn or designed by someone else though as that might be rather naughty.

allepally wrote:
    Again, this seems pedantic and argumentative... I don't take kindly (and I'm sure neither would you) to being accused of allsorts...
    It always amazes me how easy it is not to answer a question. I may not take kindly to being accuseed of "allsorts", as you put it but I am not here defending a product. Why don't you address the issue, and stop dodgeing questions? What was your legal representatives advice when you consulted him about your grievence?

This is a very entertaining thread, I must say.

I can;t believe all these people who want this guy to give away his e-book.
    If he sells it for a million pounds let him be. It's not a rip off. We live in a free market where a seller can put any price he want's on goods. The buyer can then decide to buy or not buy it. if someone wants to create an ebook and give it away off they go
    If he wants to sell a book on charities for 1million euro and give 1euro to charity that is also ok. However your argument of a "free market" (although debatable in its' truest context) is mute. He claims to be the authour of some sort of a scoop. A scoop so great that it will expose the blatant extortion of the public at large. One so great that the media's champion of "rip off Ireland" was either too scared or too stupid to expose. Why should he rip off the public in telling them this? (I am not saying he is btw)
    An e book on rip off Ireland is not an essential item. like car insurance, or milk or nappies.
    What if you are a vegan, push bike cycling comitted child hater?

This guy's markup/margin ect is none of our buisness. If the price is too high noone will buy the product.
    rodjon, you probably can't claim fair use and copy the card. Fair use is so that critics or educators can copy smallamounts of the work and quote it.
    Is that a fact? Where did you gleen this from?

sceptre wrote:
    I rather hope that the "compiling" of the ebook doesn't include anything written, drawn or designed by someone else though as that might be rather naughty.

Nope, it is 100% designed, written and produced by myself.

Hobart wrote:
    It always amazes me how easy it is not to answer a question. I may not take kindly to being accuseed of "allsorts", as you put it but I am not here defending a product. Why don't you address the issue, and stop dodgeing questions? What was your legal representatives advice when you consulted him about your grievence?

What 'issue' do you want me to address now Hobart?

Re: legal representative. Hey, I'm human and I saw dirt being thrown around and I reverted to a silly line "i'm talking to a lawyer" - well I didn't. Kneejerk reaction. Happy? want me to lick your boots, prostrate myself before you, whip myself on the back.... wear sackcloth?????
    hobart wrote:
    He claims to be the authour of some sort of a scoop. A scoop so great that it will expose the blatant extortion of the public at large. One so great that the media's champion of "rip off Ireland" was either too scared or too stupid to expose. Why should he rip off the public in telling them this? (I am not saying he is btw)

I don't claim it is a scoop at all. It was something I thought when watching his programme - "hmmm, how come he never mentioned this". You might have thought it too, I don't know. So I packaged up my idea to go along with the ripoff card idea, and I'll hopefully break even - where's the crime? No one is forcing anyone to buy the product. I

I stand 100% behind my idea and most of the detractors are just coming across as mean spirited and begrudging.

hobart wrote:

Exactly, the market will determine the price and the price is subject to change.

alleepally wrote:
    What 'issue' do you want me to address now Hobart?

Re: legal representative. Hey, I'm human and I saw dirt being thrown around and I reverted to a silly line "i'm talking to a lawyer" - well I didn't. Kneejerk reaction. Happy? want me to lick your boots, prostrate myself before you, whip myself on the back.... wear sackcloth?????
    No. I would just prefer if you responded reasonably, instead of reacting. But, hey were probably all prone to kneejerk reactions. Point taken and forgotten about.

I don't claim it is a scoop at all. It was something I thought when watching his programme - "hmmm, how come he never mentioned this". You might have thought it too, I don't know. So I packaged up my idea to go along with the ripoff card idea, and I'll hopefully break even - where's the crime? No one is forcing anyone to buy the product. I
    No crime. Some people (myslef included) would have thought the "shocking" claims of your website to be scoopish. 39c for this, when people are trying to charge €100 for it etc.... Kinda scoop(ish) wouldn't you think? Also you promting of it on a service provided to you for free kind of stinks. I notice you have deleted the huge link from your sig. Go you!!
    I stand 100% behind my idea and most of the detractors are just coming across as mean spirited and begrudging.
    Maybe most people have seen through your oportunistic apptempt to try to ride on the back of a wave and make a quick buck out of it. Thers's a fine line between mean spirited and begrudging and wasn't born yesterday.
    Exactly, the market will determine the price and the price is subject to change.
    The problem with this hypotesis is that you are trying to elicit money out of a so called rip off culture. When, in some corners, what you are actually doing is feeding the "myth" that you are giving out about.

I tel you what. I done with giving out about your product. What kind of "satisfaction"/money back guarantee will you give with your e-book/cards. I will purchase 20 and the ebook, if you will offer me a guarantee that I will be reimbursed should I be dissatisfied with the product, find it does not live up to it's claims, or that it is in any way plagerised.

Hobart wrote:

No crime. Some people (myslef included) would have thought the "shocking" claims of your website to be scoopish. 39c for this, when people are trying to charge €100 for it etc.... Kinda scoop(ish) wouldn't you think? Also you promting of it on a service provided to you for free kind of stinks. I notice you have deleted the huge link from your sig. Go you!!

It wasn't a huge sig don't exaggerate and was an error on my part . There's plenty of sigs going round on boards advertising commercial ventures and no one turns a blind eye.

I just wrote the headlines on the wbesite in a way I thought would be appealing and generate interest.
    Hobart wrote:
    Maybe most people have seen through your oportunistic apptempt to try to ride on the back of a wave and make a quick buck out of it. Thers's a fine line between mean spirited and begrudging and wasn't born yesterday.

Your turn of phrase is insulting - "quick buck" "ride on the back of a wave" etc. Crikey then have a go at anyone that sells a tshirt with a topical slogan on it then or gang up on newspapers who flogged the Eddie Hobbs thing to death. You call it opportunistic, I call it actually getting up off my arse and making a go of something and now that the PDF will be available, hopefully the cards will be have an effect the more people that use them - which is one of the things I mention on the site.
    Hobart wrote:
    The problem with this hypotesis is that you are trying to elicit money out of a so called rip off culture. When, in some corners, what you are actually doing is feeding the "myth" that you are giving out about.

Oh right, sorry. All the international studies are wrong. All the conversations I hear daily from people are in my head. All the newspaper reports are wrong. It's all a myth. Now that's a scoop. But if you think it's a myth, the thumbs up card is there for you too.....
    hobart wrote:
    I tell you what. I done with giving out about your product. What kind of "satisfaction"/money back guarantee will you give with your e-book/cards. I will purchase 20 and the ebook, if you will offer me a guarantee that I will be reimbursed should I be dissatisfied with the product, find it does not live up to it's claims, or that it is in any way plagerised.

Are you a unionist or related to Ian Paisley by any chance? Is this the extra mile you are looking for, the photo of decommissioning, the one up manship you must have to get some sort of satisfaction in having one over on me.

I can only imagine you would get it and then pick hole after hole in it till you ground me into submission so I think I will pass.

alleepally wrote:
    It wasn't a huge sig don't exaggerate and was an error on my part . There's plenty of sigs going round on boards advertising commercial ventures and no one turns a blind eye.
    It was huge, imo. And an error. There's few as blatantly opportunistic as yours.
    I just wrote the headlines on the wbesite in a way I thought would be appealing and generate interest.
    Thats a matter of observation. You contend that they were apealing. I contend that they were sensationalist and displayed with the one and only intent of having somebody buy your product.

Your turn of phrase is insulting - "quick buck" "ride on the back of a wave" etc.
    My phraseology is not intended to be insulting. I call it as I see it.
    Crikey then have a go at anyone that sells a tshirt with a topical slogan
    If they were trying to rip me or others off I would.
    on it then or gang up on newspapers who flogged the Eddie Hobbs thing to death.
    Ahh... So you are no better than the gutter press?
    You call it opportunistic, I call it actually getting up off my arse and making a go of something and now that the PDF will be available, hopefully the cards will be have an effect the more people that use them - which is one of the things I mention on the site.
    It is opportunistic. Do you find that a bad phrase?

Oh right, sorry. All the international studies are wrong. All the conversations I hear daily from people are in my head. All the newspaper reports are wrong. It's all a myth. Now that's a scoop. But if you think it's a myth, the thumbs up card is there for you too.....
    I don't think it's a myth. I never said it was. I just think that it's something that's flavour of the month at the moment. As for international studies, please quote from 1 which says that Ireland is a "rip off" republic. I have seen many that call it expensive. I have also seen many that say we have one of the most educated and well paid work force in the world. A lot of your "studies" are merely confirmation of well known economic facts. A lot have been hyped up by the media to convey a scense of fear and unrest in the general public. Eddie Hobbs himself readily admits that some of his facts were "incorrect". Not incorrect in that he made them up, more the wrong figuressupplied and not corrected before he went on air. But hey, don't let the "facts" get in the way of a good story. This month, in case your wondering, we will be talking about Road Deaths. Next month it will be the press complaints comission. Rip off Ireland will be a distant memory (form a media and public perspective anyhow).

Are you a unionist or related to Ian Paisley by any chance? Is this the extra mile you are looking for, the photo of decommissioning, the one up manship you must have to get some sort of satisfaction in having one over on me.
    My religous and politcal leanings (or lack there off) are none of your concern. My relations (alive or dead) also do not concern ypu. Please try and not personalise this debate.
    I can only imagine you would get it and then pick hole after hole in it till you ground me into submission so I think I will pass.
    Could the document not stand up for itself? Do you not stand over it? Am I not allowed to view this document for myself? Are there holes to be picked? Why won't you let me have a copy of it?

Hobart wrote:
    It was huge, imo. And an error. There's few as blatantly opportunistic as yours.

You are talking through your hat. I've seen equal or worse.
    hobart wrote:

Thats a matter of observation. You contend that they were apealing. I contend that they were sensationalist and displayed with the one and only intent of having somebody buy your product.

I contend you are wrong on all counts and it's a product to which costs are associated and I am therefore entitled to charge.
    Hobart wrote:

My phraseology is not intended to be insulting. I call it as I see it. If they were trying to rip me or others off I would. Ahh... So you are no better than the gutter press? It is opportunistic. Do you find that a bad phrase?

I got up off my arse and did something. What are you doing. Most likely sitting on your arse at your employers expense wasting time arguing for the sake of it.
    Hobart wrote:
    I don't think it's a myth. I never said it was. I just think that it's something that's flavour of the month at the moment. As for international studies, please quote from 1 which says that Ireland is a "rip off" republic. I have seen many that call it expensive. I have also seen many that say we have one of the most educated and well paid work force in the world. A lot of your "studies" are merely confirmation of well known economic facts. A lot have been hyped up by the media to convey a scense of fear and unrest in the general public. Eddie Hobbs himself readily admits that some of his facts were "incorrect". Not incorrect in that he made them up, more the wrong figuressupplied and not corrected before he went on air. But hey, don't let the "facts" get in the way of a good story. This month, in case your wondering, we will be talking about Road Deaths. Next month it will be the press complaints comission. Rip off Ireland will be a distant memory (form a media and public perspective anyhow).

I live in the real world and I know what the concerns of me and others I talk to are. Many many people have the view that this is a ripoff country. You obviously live in la la land where the price of things don't concern you. Well they do others and gladly my cards will provide a very valuable service. As I've stated over and over again, the idea came from a few cards I made myself and used and it developed from there. Maybe one day you will have an idea too although I reckon your stock in trade is to argue petty points.
    Hobart wrote:
    My religous and politcal leanings (or lack there off) are none of your concern. My relations (alive or dead) also do not concern ypu. Please try and not personalise this debate.

Ever heard of an analogy. I was comparing your wanting to squeeze more out of me by giving the comparison of being an Unionist and/or being related to Ian Paisley. My sincere sympathy if you fall within any of those categories though. You are to be pitied in my opinion.
    Hobart wrote:
    Could the document not stand up for itself? Do you not stand over it? Am I not allowed to view this document for myself? Are there holes to be picked? Why won't you let me have a copy of it?

I have the measure of you and my contribution to this thread ends right here right now. Enjoy wasting your time stewing over this.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 3,816 Mod ✭✭✭✭LFCFan

alleepally wrote:
    please send me link so I can get next batch of cards printed at a cheaper rate and the cost of the cards will come down. Don't forget the paypal charges too.
    http://www.vistaprint.com

Also, we're all ignoring the 1 blatantly obvious flaw in the Comment Card system. You are supposed to hand it over to businesses where you have just been ripped off. If you are going to be ripped off you shouldn't hand over any money and just go elsewhere. You've just handed over your money and then the card. The owner is just going to laugh at you because despite your thinking that he's a ripoff, you have still given him money. They only way to make businesses stand up and listen is to stop giving them money. e.g. If nobody went to Café en Seine for a week they would lose a lot of money and that would make them get the message. Of course this won't happen, mainly because there is too much apathy in Ireland and generally, people couldn't be arsed doing anything like that. They'd rather go there, spend a fortune and then moan about it with their friends while they sit there being ripped off.

• Advertisement

alleepally wrote:
    You are talking through your hat. I've seen equal or worse.
    Why get rid of it so? You are trying to divert the argument away from your blatant pimping onto "what others have done". Does that make it ok then?

I contend you are wrong on all counts and it's a product to which costs are associated and I am therefore entitled to charge.
    I never said that the "product" did not have associated costs. What exactly are you talking about? I do content that your aptempt at marketing the product, both here and on your site, are sensationalist and tabloid like.

I got up off my arse and did something.
    You saw an opportunity to ride on the back of a popular theme. You have provided a product that is self contradictory and you are charging too much for it (imo). Your trying to rip off people who are being "ripped off".
    What are you doing. Most likely sitting on your arse at your employers expense wasting time arguing for the sake of it.
    Not that its any of your business, but I'm self employeed and have been for some time.

I live in the real world and I know what the concerns of me and others I talk to are. Many many people have the view that this is a ripoff country.
    and many many people were of the view that Iraq had WMD's. Did that make them right?
    You obviously live in la la land where the price of things don't concern you.
    I live in the real world where I way off price versus value. A few red cards and a mis marketed e-book does not rate on my value scale.
    Well they do others and gladly my cards will provide a very valuable service.
    I'm sure they will. I look forward to the headlines in the Irish Times.
    As I've stated over and over again, the idea came from a few cards I made myself and used and it developed from there.
    I would not have to have a business degree to figure that one out. Thanks for the clarification anyhow
    Maybe one day you will have an idea too although I reckon your stock in trade is to argue petty points.
    Maybe. While your at it where are all those links to these "international studies" which label Ireland as a rip off?

Ever heard of an analogy. I was comparing your wanting to squeeze more out of me by giving the comparison of being an Unionist and/or being related to Ian Paisley. My sincere sympathy if you fall within any of those categories though.
    I'm sure the Unionist population will find your remarks quite insulting. Obviously you are not intending to target those in the north with your "product".
    You are to be pitied in my opinion.
    What are you talking about? Are you trying to personalise this again?

I have the measure of you and my contribution to this thread ends right here right now. Enjoy wasting your time stewing over this.
    You are a fraud and a flagrant opportunist. And you have been exposed as such. It's easier to run away shouting tra la la la la than debate the merits of your product here. I even offered to purchase one, and you would not allow that on the basis that I may "pick holes" in it. Good luck on the Nasdaq Mr Branson :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,585 ✭✭✭HelterSkelter

LFCFan wrote:
    http://www.vistaprint.com

Also, we're all ignoring the 1 blatantly obvious flaw in the Comment Card system. You are supposed to hand it over to businesses where you have just been ripped off. If you are going to be ripped off you shouldn't hand over any money and just go elsewhere. You've just handed over your money and then the card.

Sometimes you don't know you are going to be ripped off. For example, say you are in a nice restaurant, prices a little on the expensive side. You might decide ok, the prices are a little above average but for that you expect a better service. The meal turns out not to be up to your expectations, or the service is crap, you are unhappy. You can't really refuse to pay. I had a friend refuse to pay a service charge before and he was threatened with the police (as a side note, do you have to pay a service charge if you are not happy with the service?).

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 3,816 Mod ✭✭✭✭LFCFan

as a side note, do you have to pay a service charge if you are not happy with the service?.

If you have to pay it, it will automatically be added to the bill. If it's not already added then it's optional.

Sometimes you don't know you are going to be ripped off. For example, say you are in a nice restaurant, prices a little on the expensive side. You might decide ok, the prices are a little above average but for that you expect a better service. The meal turns out not to be up to your expectations, or the service is crap, you are unhappy. You can't really refuse to pay. I had a friend refuse to pay a service charge before and he was threatened with the police (as a side note, do you have to pay a service charge if you are not happy with the service?).
    Is this necessarily a rip off though? Bad service is bad service irrespective of the product, or so I would have thought. If a meal is a bad meal, or not up to your expectations, you have an opportunity to complain during the meal (my understanding is that the contract is not closed unless you have expressed your satisfaction during the meal). As for service charge, again one has a choice. If it expressly printed on the menu that a service charge of x will apply, well then you are obliged to pay the service charge or your have the choice of leaving your table and not eating there. If the service charge is retrospectively applied to your bill, and it was not indicated at your time of ordering, then you have the right to refuse to pay it. At least thats my understanding.

Off course you could always get a Rip Off Card and present it to the Maitre'd. I'm sure he would act swiftly unpon receipt of it :) .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 686 ✭✭✭The Troll

The piece of crap that is sold on that site could be purchased for a quarter of the price in a prinetrs. The irony.

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭lynchtp

Here is IMO a much more though out card design.
    http://www.valueireland.com/vi_card/the_value_ireland_card.htm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 370 ✭✭base2

I'm an ideas person.

I'd keep the ideas to yourself because that is one crap idea.
    'Its a mat that lets you 'jump' to conclusions..Get it..?'

• Registered Users Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭lomb

i think its a funny idea , but a fairly pointless one. i dont think it is overpriced at all, in fact the opposite. would i buy them?no because i dont need them. i believe in voting with your feet, all business is based on charging the maximum the market will pay, on a graph of turnover versus margin. there is a point where price is optimum.
    the reality of business is that u need to sell something that someone wants, then u can charge what u want within reason, this is why vendors can get 10% more than market value for a property , simply because its DESIRABLE, and like most property unique in some ways.
    i think everyone on boards is just lashing out at allepally, its a funny idea and funny sells to some people.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭lomb

furthermore after seeing his site, his profit is exagerated. he hasnt factored his own labour into the equation of putting the cards in an envelope and posting them. i dont see any rip off...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

Wow im surprised this thread has not been locked.. there is what, 1 maybe 2 posts actually on topic.. which was in fact delivery charges for new cars...

As far as the rip off cards go.. they are expensive but as people have said, pointless. I think verbal communication is much more effective and its free!!
    The E-book should certainly not be charged for but then again... no one has to buy it or the cards so no harm done..

Maybe leave it alone or move all these off topic posts to another thread as this one seems to be dead. Come on 5 pages of off topic posts??

I have not bought a new car in a few years but i got one in 01 and 02 and do not recall a deliver charge... Is this charge only if the car is delivered to your door or even if you pick up from the dealer when its in??

Advertisement