Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

4.5 million copies of EULA-compliant spyware (WoW knows what you run)

Options
  • 24-10-2005 1:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 37,302 ✭✭✭✭

http://www.rootkit.com/blog.php?newsid=358

It checls to ensure that you are not using any cheating programs, that you abide by the EULA/TOS...
    The warden then uses the GetWindowTextA function to read the window text in the titlebar of every window. These are windows that are not in the WoW process, but any program running on your computer. Now a Big Deal.

I watched the warden sniff down the email addresses of people I was communicating with on MSN, the URL of several websites that I had open at the time, and the names of all my running programs, including those that were minimized or in the toolbar. These strings can easily contain social security numbers or credit card numbers, for example, if I have Microsoft Excel or Quickbooks open w/ my personal finances at the time.

Checking to see if I'm running any dodgy software is one thing, but checking the programs I'm running... would be an invasion of my privacy (if I played WoW).

Comments

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement