Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Civ IV IGN Review..

Options
  • 24-10-2005 1:48pm
    Hosted Moderators Posts: 18,115 ✭✭✭✭

IGN reviewed Civ IV and says it is the best yet in the series and gave it 94%.

Review: http://pc.ign.com/articles/660/660495p1.html

I have it preordered meself a couple of weeks so just happy to see a positive review so far - anyone else be Civ-ing it in a weeks time??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,065 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

wh00t. Forgot about this. Good to see that is looking good after the dissapointments of AOE III & Quake IV.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,496 ✭✭✭quarryman

me too. this is looking good. i'd like to see a few more reviews first though.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,836 ✭✭✭Vokes

Voiceovers by Leonard Nimoy! Im sold :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,510 ✭✭✭sprinkles

Been waiting for this for ages. Can't wait to get my hands on it

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 18,115 ✭✭✭✭ShiverinEskimo

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,488 ✭✭✭Goodshape

*\o/*

That's a pretty positive review.. bugger it anyway, I was hoping to avoid this for a while; I've got work to do and life to live. Doesn't look like that's going to be possible :-/

• Registered Users Posts: 820 ✭✭✭Niall - Dahlia

Dammit, I was kind of hoping this would be pants just so I'd have a good excuse not to get sucked in! I got seriously addicted to Civ II and III, there's no hope of resistance... :(

• Registered Users Posts: 307 ✭✭Thordon

Ive never played a Civ game before, but I always hear people raving about them, from the play.com description it sounds pretty cool.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,742 ✭✭✭Branoic

Thordon wrote:
    Ive never played a Civ game before, but I always hear people raving about them, from the play.com description it sounds pretty cool.

Seriously? Never? How? Good god, i didn't know there was any gamer alive who's never played Civ. You're like....a myth, a lost Amazonian tribe or something! Civ is the most addictive and best strategy game to date, and has been for the last 15 odd years! You need to get Civ IV dude.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭BKtje

Its not for everyone. Its very slow paced.

That said, i wish it wasnt out this friday cos i got exams next week which i will no doubt now fail.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,742 ✭✭✭Branoic

Oh i know its not for everybody - but i honestly did expect everybody to have played it at least once. Wierd.

Anyway - are you sure its this friday? Gamespot mentions a European release date of Nov 4th

• Closed Accounts Posts: 430 ✭✭Gizzard

I must say I was not expecting anything special from Civ4 after the mess of Civ 3 but it seems they have done a really good job, I cant wait to get it now. Excellent:)

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 18,115 ✭✭✭✭ShiverinEskimo

Eurogamer agrees : http://www.eurogamer.net/article.php?article_id=61418

9/10 - god i cant wait for it to be delivered - saying that though - Fear was delivered today...

With this F.E.A.R & pro evo 5 I shall be well entertained for the near future :)

"Multiplayer out of the box this time". I'm sold.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,726 ✭✭✭qwertz

Got it today. Only played with it for a couple of minutes but my first impression is good.

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭Mthor5

Got it today. Only played with it for a couple of minutes but my first impression is good
    This is listed as 4/11 on play.com,can you saywhere you picked it up?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,182 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

i too have it now. tried it for a while yesterday, and its pretty good so far. never been a huge fan of the series, but i will definatly give it a bit of time.

one question...is it normal for 40 years to go by on every turn??

• Registered Users Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭BKtje

In the earlier years ye, later on it was 1 year 1 turn.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

Never liked Civ. Utterly addictive at the start but once you invade the enemies lands to find city upon city upon city every two steps you realise a computer is too well suited to a game of this type.

I found after my first time playing all the way through was why should I bother again when the computer will always be better.

• Advertisement

Where did you people get it?!!?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,496 ✭✭✭quarryman

downloaded i'm guessing

quarryman wrote:
    downloaded i'm guessing

none of my cousins have heard of it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,502 ✭✭✭MrPinK

Tusky wrote:
    none of my cousins have heard of it.
    Your cousins have been living under a rock. It's been out in the US for a few days now.

• Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭cianr

Can you guys tell me why it is so good? Or why it has such a loyal fanbase? I've never played it but reading the posts on here and other sites Im definately tempted! But having read one or two reviews(well, scanned them) and having looked at a fair few screenies it looks . . .unusual, for lack of a better word (and its late here, so I lack!). . . . so can you guys tell me why you like it so much, why it is so popular?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,580 ✭✭✭✭Sand

Because its addictive. The "just one more turn" thing comes into play when itll only take a few more turns to set up a road network, to build a new city in that great location you found before the AI shows up, to build that wonder, to research that new government type and so on and so forth. Theres no particular action that takes 10 minutes, so whilst overall its slow paced, theres no speed bumps in the gameplay that require your attention for 10-15 minutes ( Like a battle in TW for example).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭TwoShedsJackson

Never liked Civ. Utterly addictive at the start but once you invade the enemies lands to find city upon city upon city every two steps you realise a computer is too well suited to a game of this type.

I found after my first time playing all the way through was why should I bother again when the computer will always be better.

If you think a computer will always be better than you at Civ, then you must really, really suck at strategy games.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,199 ✭✭✭Jimi-Spandex

I for one am steering clear. I lost months and months of my life to civ2. It's too bloody addictive. I'm sure I'm not the only one who has started playing it some evening and still been sat there when the sun comes up.

I'll probably crack when my exams are over though and get it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,446 ✭✭✭✭amp

I will not own this game... it will own me........

P.s Warez = bad

Advertisement