Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Insuring an E36 M3

Options
  • 24-10-2005 2:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,415 ✭✭✭

Where the fu@k can I get it? Hibernian is ridiculous (I know what type of car it is), Quinn won't touch it. I see loads of NEW M3's around, or perhaps these people actually own insurance companies...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭MM3

Hi Gatser,

What age are you? Quinn will insure you as will St Pauls, I've had mine insured
    with both those companies - I was 28 when I bought the M3 and have switched between those companies ever since... Also I think 123.ie will insure the M3 but with a large excess.

M

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,934 Mod ✭✭✭✭Turner

try www.bmwcarclubgb.co.uk/forum

Alot of dudes own m3's there, they will let you know.

Fantastic car you got I love the E36 model. Any pics ??

• Registered Users Posts: 257 ✭✭t5pwr

Quinn direct won't look at powerful cars. Hibernian gave me an awful quote as well.

I am with AXA at the moment, but have been for a long time now, and they are one of the best I can find. Also AA Ireland gave me a really good quote. Try them and see.

You will need 4 years NCB and be over 25 or 28 , can't remember, for AA...

• Registered Users Posts: 874 ✭✭✭gn3dr

Try FBD. I've an Audi S6 with them for a lot less than anyone else would quote.
    Also worth trying Jardine Lyyod Thompson.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,415 ✭✭✭Gatster

Cheers for the suggestions - I'm 31 with 2 years NCB (long story) and I'm in the process of plotting the purchase. Was suprised at Quinn, thought they'd insure anything that didn't have N.A.S.A printed on it...

Basically after flirting with the idea of switching brands and to something more practical I think I'm doing myself an injustice if I don't bite the bullet and get an M3 (as I have absolutely always wanted one). FBD, forgot about them, will try them now.

• Advertisement

Gatser,

You should be ok at 31 - BTW if you are looking for an M3 I may be looking to sell mine in the near future, its a 99 estoril blue manual with 40K on the clock), just had a baby and need something with 4 doors unfortunately... PM me if you are interested.

M

• Closed Accounts Posts: 944 ✭✭✭Big Balls

Have you a driving conviction or something??? :D

I can get a quote on an M3 with Hibernian (I'm with them) for 3k. I'm 23, male, 4 penalty points and 4 years NCB.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,178 ✭✭✭ondafly

The Evo M3s will not be insurable under 123.ie, as they have 3.2 litre engines. Also be wary of Evo M3s, due to the nasty double vanos issues.

Go through a broker and you'll get insured.

I imported mine from the UK in February, 95 M3 in Avus blue, no regrets at all. A 94 M3 is approx 50% cheaper on VRT, so bear that in mind. Same car really...

normal_Track%20Day%20Mondello%20Park%2016%20spalio%202005%20060m.jpg

No convictions, absolutely clean licence for 14 years. Probably looking for a '96-'98, although may go earlier for a perfect 3.0 non-evo.
    no regrets at all

What I love to hear! Just out of interest, what was the VRT, was it similar to what the indicated quoted on the web was?

How does anyone find the running. I'm expecting an increase on my 323i, but from what I hear it's not much different...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,178 ✭✭✭ondafly

vrt was 3033 for a 95
    1700 for a 94 - go figure.
    even less again for the ultra rare 93 model in rhd.

it goes up and up for the Evo models, and the road tax is 300 euro cheaper for the non-evo. I get 26mpg according to the obc. I've gotten 40 to 50 mpg on a long trip with aircon on. I've owned hondas with smaller petrol tanks, but pretty much equal fuel consumption, so I'm paying double what I paid in petrol, but I'm getting double the mileage. Granted 90% of my driving is city traffic driving though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭lomb

ondafly wrote:
    vrt was 3033 for a 95
    1700 for a 94 - go figure.
    even less again for the ultra rare 93 model in rhd.

it goes up and up for the Evo models, and the road tax is 300 euro cheaper for the non-evo. I get 26mpg according to the obc. I've gotten 40 to 50 mpg on a long trip with aircon on. I've owned hondas with smaller petrol tanks, but pretty much equal fuel consumption, so I'm paying double what I paid in petrol, but I'm getting double the mileage. Granted 90% of my driving is city traffic driving though.

what do u pay in insurance, is it comp? and what age are u?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 393 ✭✭mondeoman

hi gatster,have you tryed britton insurance i got a online quote for a Ferrari 355 + bmw m3 have a lookhttp://www.brittoninsurance.com/car.html,best of luck with it:;)

have you tryed britton insurance
    Yeah and they'll do it for €1369.71 for me and the missus...but with a €4k excess!!! Hmm, that puts me in a bit of a quandry. Will try a broker tomorrow.
    Go through a broker and you'll get insured.
    Ondafly - who did you end up insured by???

Just on a related note - Hibernian loaded me massively on a 328i 4 door (something like €2k more until May), but I'll pretend to be a new punter tomorrow and get a new quote from scratch

• Registered Users Posts: 564 ✭✭✭DaveD

I just purchased my E36 M3 about 6 weeks ago. Just like Ondafly i went to the Uk and got mine, its a black 95. I'd recommend doing this as you do save at least 2k, even after all the expenses for flight, boat, vrt etc. and i managed to find a minter !!

One thing i would advise though if you do go the UK route is to make absolute 100% sure the car you're looking at is in as good condition as the seller says it is. Get him to e-mail loads of pics and copies of service histories and most importantly a copy of the V5 (log book). Ring the garages on the service history and confrim everything that was done. I had a wasted trip over to see one which ended up to be in bits, seller said it was immaculate !

I have no regrets at all, i mainly do mostly city driving and am getting about 250 miles to €60 of petrol ! The only downside is having to fork out €1100 for the tax & i still have to dodge potholes every morning but that topic is for another day !

Have a look on autotrader.co.uk, theres usually loads of them on there - happy hunting :)

Running costs should be roughly similar to your 323i (thats what I had before the M3 as well). DaveD is about right for the fuel economy, around town about 250 miles on a full tank, for a long journey about 350.

M

My plan was exactly that - go to the UK (where I got my 323i from). Being from the Uk originally I still go over quite a bit to see family so it works out well as everytime I go back, I go looking at cars (I'm in no rush so can look at a few over a couple of months and only incur flight costs).

Tried Hibernian as a new punter with false name and all details the same-ish and they kindly informed me they don't quote for that type of car at all...

Need to check this €4k excess thing out...what happens if the other party is at fault. I presume you have to stump up the 4k then you claim it back? If it get's robbed (my biggest worry), do you have the 4k excess?

• Registered Users Posts: 564 ✭✭✭DaveD

Gatster wrote:
    Need to check this €4k excess thing out...what happens if the other party is at fault. I presume you have to stump up the 4k then you claim it back? If it get's robbed (my biggest worry), do you have the 4k excess?

It depends - if you make a claim on your own policy then yes the excess of €4k will apply, however provided you are not at fault for the accident then your insurance company will eventually get the excess back off the other drivers insurers. Alternatively if it is clear you are not at fault then you don't need to claim from your own policy and could submit a claim directly against the other drivers insurance company. This can sometimes take a bit of time to get settled though depending on what info they need from their policyholder but if its a clear cut case (i.e. he/she drove into the back of you) then it should be settled pretty quickly !

You'd need to check with the insurance company thats offering the €4k excess policy to see if it applies if the car is stolen, I assume it would but there are companies out there who dont apply an excess for theft claims like AXA.

HTH.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,999 ✭✭✭opus

Gatster wrote:
    Just on a related note - Hibernian loaded me massively on a 328i 4 door (something like €2k more until May), but I'll pretend to be a new punter tomorrow and get a new quote from scratch

I've been insuring a '96 328 4-door with Quinn for the last few years, its dropped to €520 last year for TF&T. Might break the €500 barrier next year if I'm lucky!

Advertisement