Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hosting on BT BB

• 24-10-2005 2:47pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,730 ✭✭✭

Can anyone tell me if this can be done.

It seems BT BB is hidden behind there system and can't be reach from the outside world.

Even if someone knows how to host BT to BT will do.

Its the only problem i have had with BT.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,882 ✭✭✭Rattlehead_ie

How u mean exactly hosting
    U want to do your own web hosting?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,265 ✭✭✭RangeR

If you want to do the likes of web hosting, email hosting, games hosting. I would NOT look towards BT. Their upload speed would cripple the connection. There are easier ways to do this. Rent a server. Doesn't have to be dedicated. There are plenty of web hosting and games hosting providers out there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,730 ✭✭✭Trampas

There is a few of use play a game. Madden NFL and we want to play each other over the net.

One of use was on Eircom but he has just left them and we are all on BT and we had no problems with him hosting but we couldn't host on BT.

We are all on BT now and we can no longer play online.

We are playing it online as a network game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 816 ✭✭✭Cryos

IrishTLR wrote:
    If you want to do the likes of web hosting, email hosting, games hosting. I would NOT look towards BT. Their upload speed would cripple the connection. There are easier ways to do this. Rent a server. Doesn't have to be dedicated. There are plenty of web hosting and games hosting providers out there.

Depends entirely as to what sort of content he is using, 14k upload is doable. If you dial direct a pppoe conection using your bt username and password you should bypass the system and go direct to the net, you will also not need to worry about NAT.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,231 ✭✭✭✭Sparky

BT block port 80, but ive noticed that if the dynamic IP you get is a buisness IP port 80 is open.

• Advertisement

Cheers for the replies.

I'm not sure what you lads are saying.

Do I have to open up port number 80 Sparky S??

How do i do the pppoe connection Blitz??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 680 ✭✭✭Salmon

Does this mean it is not possible to play counter strike etc over the BT plus package? 2mb download/128K Upload?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 820 ✭✭✭Diabolus

Sparky_S wrote:
    BT block port 80, but ive noticed that if the dynamic IP you get is a buisness IP port 80 is open.

No they dont.
    The Zyxel router has a Web Configurator .. this uses port 80.
    Duh.

Set the router to bridged and make a BB connection that requires a user/pass.
    This will sort out the port 80 issue.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,656 ✭✭✭rogue-entity

Diabolus wrote:
    No they dont.

Can this be used to allow port forwarding on the router?
    I have the ZyXel Router and a NetGear Wireless Router, the latter shares the broadband with the various computers in the house. I want to run BitTorrent and allow uploads from a particular machine as well as a few other services on other machines. I enabled port forwarding on the Netgear router but it till does not work, when I ran a firewall test from GRC it reports all my ports as closed except for 21, 23 and 80 which it reports as stealth.

Anyway you can use BT BB for hosting, I know a few people who do, they have a static IP in the 193.120.x.x range. Business users get a higher upload rate.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,231 ✭✭✭✭Sparky

Diabolus wrote:
    No they dont.
    The Zyxel router has a Web Configurator .. this uses port 80.
    Duh.

yeah i tried that originally and i was getting a time-out on my IP, i then tried my linksys router with outside access enabled and it still wouldnt work

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7 Brian Beag

Salmon wrote:
    Does this mean it is not possible to play counter strike etc over the BT plus package? 2mb download/128K Upload?

No playing CS is fine, but it'd be crappy if you hosted your own game.

I have a zyxel router.

So i need to open port 80 to be able to host games??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,882 ✭✭✭Rattlehead_ie

Suggestion
    The only thing that has changed is ur firends side who is now on BT right so,lets figure out what has changed other than the BT bb,main thing is the modem\router, the Zyxel in my opinion is not user friendly and NON responsive at times(doesnt open ports when u tell it too,locks up etc)so there4 if your friend still has his (Eircom) Netopia router, get him to set it up the way it was with eircom except obviously user name and password. Then see if that works.

Cheers rattlehead.

That seems to work.

I must look at getting a new router for myself now so i can host

Advertisement