Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PVC/Alu Fascia/Soffit/Gutter

Options
  • 24-10-2005 4:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 27,163 ✭✭✭✭

Hey all,
    I was busy painting my house for the winter when I noticed that the ends of the fascia are totally rotten (we only moved in about 6 months ago)
    Most of the wood is fine, but all the ends and any end grain is totally rotten.
    It needs to be replaced really but Im not going to get that done this year.
    However, Im thinking of of just getting PVC or Alu put in so I dont have to worry about this crap ever again.
    a few questions:
    - Is it expensive? Im in a 3 bed semi
    - What are the pros/cons regarding pvc or alu?
    - Does it need any maintenance?
    - Do I need to be worried about what is going on in behind it?
    - How do they manage the join to my neighbours?
    Thx!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 365 ✭✭dogg_r_69

GreeBo wrote:
    Hey all,
    - What are the pros/cons regarding pvc or alu?
    Low maintainance, a quick wash will clean it up pretty easily
    One point is, some white pvc facia turns pink after a while although I think some companies have this fixed.
    GreeBo wrote:
    Hey all,
    - Do I need to be worried about what is going on in behind it?
    Generally not, well not any more than if you had a timber facia and soffit

Also watch out for birds breaking the vents and making nests inside the soffit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 53 ✭✭clearlyn

Hi Guys

Do you know when I can buy some soffit lengths? I live in bray and work in tallaght, any points would be appreciated

• Registered Users Posts: 27,163 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

dogg_r_69 wrote:
    Low maintainance, a quick wash will clean it up pretty easily
    I guess this is true for both alu and pvc though, whats is the difference between them? Price?
    dogg_r_69 wrote:
    Generally not, well not any more than if you had a timber facia and soffit
    Also watch out for birds breaking the vents and making nests inside the soffit.
    Yeah, just be worried that with the pvc/alu there wont be anything noticeable on the outside while underneath might be rotten to the core...

thx

Advertisement