Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Insulation Advice Please

• 24-10-2005 5:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 578 ✭✭✭

Ok, here I am to ask the million dollar question...which insulation to use???? IDL think Xfoil is the business, Uvalue Insulation thinks Actis is the business, Hitherm don't rate either and say use theirs...the list goes on. We have been discussing this elsewhere (and thanks Patrido for all the help!) and I have now found out for certain that none of the foil systems have an agrement cert. Are we crazy to consider a product without an agrement cert? I am beginning to think we are. We want to max out on insulation and would really welcome any opinions from those have done their insulation and even better for anyone just done a new build and living in the house now. All the sales reps are great for selling their products and slating others...you just don't know who to believe. We will be spending a lot of money and want to spend it well. So your posts, opinions, advice, experience would be very gratefully appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

Our house came preinsulated, but the material we were given to finish the gable walls off was Paroc.
    a type of rockwool in 600mm width pieces, the bale had 6 pieces of the stuff in and it was a dream to work with, a long bladed knife worked a treat to cut it and it is 150mm in depth so was real easy to fit.
    I actually found it very easy to use compared to the standard rockwool.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭rooferPete

Hi Builderwoman,

When the foil insulation arrived in Ireland I was very impressed by the presentation and the u value figures, I think one product had a rating that was better than 200 mm of rockwool.

I don't place a lot of value on an Irish Agrement Cert because a lot of companies view the cost against the size of the market and opt for a British Agrement Cert.

The foil insulation at the time was trying both the British and Irish market without a cert for either, they had a lot of test results from what were supposed to be independent test centres.

An Agrement Cert is nothing more than confirmation of the test results provided by the manufacturer or they will have the tests done, naturally at a cost.

I happen to know a Gent who works checking the test results and compiling the reports that lead to certification, I know him so well that I know how much he is paid for each report.

I was able to offer his services at a reduced rate to help the new business get off the ground, I was very surprised to see the offer rejected, the Gent doing the reports wasn't, it appears that there are different levels of independance with some labs.

So you are right to be cautious when offered a product without any certification especially when you consider the research and development that goes into a new product one certificate should be the least expected.

McCann and Byrne, Athboy, have a very good insulation system with certification that might be worth checking out, I expect you will get a link from Google.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 299 ✭✭patrido

any1 know what a trada certificate is?

Forwarded message
    Date: 25-Oct-2005 09:28
    Subject: Re: Actis

Thank you for your enquiry. The Actis Tri Iso Super 9 doesn't have a BBA certificate however it does have third party, independant certification in the form of a TRADA certificate.

I trust that this meets with your approval. Please do not hesitate to contact us should you require any further assistance.

Regards

Pamela Howat

Pamela Howat
    Technical Advisor
    A. Proctor Group Ltd
    www.proctorgroup.com

e-mail: pamela.howat@proctorgroup.com
    Office Tel 01250 872 261
    Office Fax 01250 872 727

Hi,

I think Kadman will have the up to date info on TRADA.

• Registered Users Posts: 578 ✭✭✭Builderwoman!

Roofer Pete, have you known or heard of anyone using any of the foil systems? Do you think that the products can stand over the impressive figures? Would it be safer to look at more "traditional" or tried and tested products? I value your opinion as there is nothing like experience. Thanks a mill.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 66 ✭✭RedLady

Hi Builderwoman,

I too have been given the task of building house as other half is too busy with work or so that his excuse. I have have the same problem as yourself. We want to max out on the insulation but I find it very hard to see which product is best. I have searched long and hard over the web and I havent yet seen anybody give an outstanding recommendation for any particular insulation product. I am looking at going with Kingspan / Xthratherm at this stage as I am hoping as marketleaders their products will produce the results.

Regards,

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭jd6677

Hi,

I just a sample in the post from this company:
    http://www.ecologicalbuildingsystems.com/products/holzFlex/

Prices are as follows-

100mm Homatherm insulation.
    Panel size: 1200mm x 625mm
    2.25 sq metres per pack (ie, 3 panels)
    Price: € 19.00 per sq.metre. excl VAT

140mm Homatherm insulation
    Panel Size: 1200mm x 625mm
    1.50 sq. metres per pack (ie. 2 panels)
    Price: € 23.00 per sq. metre. excl VAT

80mm Homatherm insulation
    Panel Size: 1200mm x 625mm
    3 sq. metres per pack (ie: 4 panels)
    Price: € 14.25 per sq. metre.excl VAT

Other thickness are also available. 40mm , 60mm, 160mm, 180mm & 200mm

Does anyone have experience of this insulation ?

JD

Hi,

JD the product you have brought up is a very good one, similar to high density rockwool but not as expensive as it's equal using the rockwool brand.

Builderwoman,

I was going to use the foil upstairs in our own stores for conversion to office space, I came very close to buying it until I saw the controversy in the UK over the ratings.

Then I saw that some UK councils allow it and others don't, I am still happy with my first impression that being the product was versatile and strong, however the higher grades are not cheap and since I was in no hurry I left the job untill later waiting for certification.

The certification didn't arrive and I still haven't got my office finished ;) typical contractors, to be honest I would not spend the money on an important part of the job that still had a question mark on it.

Sorry I couldn't be more help.

• Registered Users Posts: 578 ✭✭✭Builderwoman!

Hi Patridio,

Just to let you know I spoke to two companies today who sell and fit various types of insulation and they have fitted foil in a lot of houses and say it's the business. All willing to give me phone number to verify. They said it's perfect for a dormer. They were talking about the new X foil or another product called Ultra foil. None had actually fitted Actis and didn't have any reference points for it. I will post you when I find out more info.Ta!

Advertisement