Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Rafa Reads Riot Act to Reds*

• 24-10-2005 7:35pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭

Sometimes making ones frustrations public isn't clever but I think in this case it was needed.
    Benitez fury over stars attitude
    Oct 24 2005
    By Chris Bascombe, Liverpool Echo

LIVID Liverpool boss Rafa Benitez staged a Melwood summit yesterday where he told his under-performing players "We need to change our attitude."

The Reds boss says no-one should be absolved from blame for a lack-lustre first half display - including himself and his staff.

Benitez held a Melwood summit on Sunday and forced his players to watch their 45 minute horror show again.

"We had more determination in the second half, but the first half was the same kind of performance away from home as last year," conceded the manager.

"Everyone must understand these kinds of games are important. It's acceptable to play at the same level as Chelsea and lose, but it's not acceptable to play Fulham, whom we know we are better than, and come away with nothing.

"It was as though we didn't understand the importance of the game in the first half. Only in the second was there a response, and then I felt it was a question of time whether we would score, but their keeper made a lot of saves.

"Last season we made a lot of mistakes and I thought we were learning from them. We've started strongly in other away games and I didn't expect to see us play like this again after last year.

"This is our first defeat away this year and we can't afford to make the same mistakes in future.

It's important the players under-stand we can't approach games in this way."

Benitez has questioned the commitment of his team in the first half at Craven Cottage.

"It's not just the players who need to improve, but all of us. I include the staff, the players, everyone," said Benitez.

"We all know we need to change the attitude, particularly after European games. Yesterday we all spoke and watched the match again. The performance of the team was bad in terms of the aggressiveness of the players.

"We had a lot of the ball, and controlled the play, but didn't show enough until the second half. We've had these problems before after a Champions League game.

"We've all seen the big mistake we made with our first half performance and now we need to correct it."

Mike.

*thats enough aliteration -ed

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,386 ✭✭✭d22ontour

Benitez seems to make some crazy decisions with his tactics/sides/substitutions when playing league matches and at the current rate will possibly leave liverpool in the same position as last season regarding champions league qualification.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

It's acceptable to play at the same level as Chelsea and lose, but it's not acceptable to play Fulham, whom we know we are better than, and come away with nothing.

No wonder he can't figure out the premiership

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

He needs to sort out his crazy selections. I reckon he's mates with Brian Kerr. Only he could possibly see what Rafa sees in Traore. No-one else can see any sense in playing him ahead of Warnock/Riise.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Some of his selections are baffling.

His back 4 last Saturday

Josemi---Cara---Hypia----Traore

My back 4

Barragan--Cara--Hypyia--Warnock

He's clearly got the European stuff worked out pretty well, but its the Prem that the bread and butter. I'd hate to win the CL again and finnish say 7th.

Maybe he needs a British/Irish number 2.

Bring back Old Big Nose! :)

Mike.

mike65 wrote:
    Maybe he needs a British/Irish number 2. .

Maybe King Kenny might fancy getting back into football. Director of football anyone?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,966 ✭✭✭Jivin Turkey

mike65 wrote:

His back 4 last Saturday

My back 4

I don't mean to sound smart but have you ever seen Barragan play? I know Josemi isn't the best full back in the league but he's ok. I'd rather him over a completely unproven teenager who has made a single substitute appearance in his entire senior career.

Again Traore is no world beater but Warnock is hardly class either. He's no spring chicken and still only has a handful of appearances to his name. And despite his eagerness and heart he is a poor tackler.

I find it hard to see how these would have made the difference on Saturday, particularly as the 2-0 scoreline flattered them somewhat, only scoring their second on the break in injury time. Liverpool were woeful in the first half but dominated the second only to be denied by Tony Warner in marvellous form.

Obviously one wouldn't be delighted with the start to the season but I still think it is far from a crisis, and to be saying things like hopes of fourth are slim at this stage (like people in the other thread have) are just plain ridiculous.

I don't mean to sound smart but have you ever seen Barragan play? I know Josemi isn't the best full back in the league but he's ok. I'd rather him over a completely unproven teenager who has made a single substitute appearance in his entire senior career.

Again Traore is no world beater but Warnock is hardly class either. He's no spring chicken and still only has a handful of appearances to his name. And despite his eagerness and heart he is a poor tackler.

I find it hard to see how these would have made the difference on Saturday, particularly as the 2-0 scoreline flattered them somewhat, only scoring their second on the break in injury time. Liverpool were woeful in the first half but dominated the second only to be denied by Tony Warner in marvellous form.

Obviously one wouldn't be delighted with the start to the season but I still think it is far from a crisis, and to be saying things like hopes of fourth are slim at this stage (like people in the other thread have) are just plain ridiculous.

For a start as soon as the ball came over, instead of attacking it, like competant defenders (Terry, Carra etc) his first reaction is to run for the goal. I dont know which Warnock you've been watching (neil maybe?) but i've been very impressed with him and his tackling. His all round play is very good. He's my favourite type of defender, he's a ball and man tackler.

Josemi will be out very soon,but it'll be Finnan back in as soon as he's fit, and rightly so. A centre half is badly needed to replace Hyypia. The only thing is , I hope Troare goes before Hyypia, because with a top class centre half playing inside him, it covers up alot of Troare's defensive attrocities, so he'll hide behind that again.

As for bloody ciise, the only time he can score is by hitting it as hard as possible as quickly as possible, seriously look at all his goal. If he has a second to consider his options, he fluffs it. There is no finess or skill about him. He gets in front of goal and drills the ball as hard as possible in the hope it goes in. He showed last week against Blackburn that he couldnt score if Friedel had gone off injured and Blackburn hadnt bothered replacing him. He did score, however when the ball was rolled in front of him for him to smash it.

It is a crisis btw. The only time liverpool should be in the bottom half is alphabetically at the start of the season. We're 9 points behind Wigan for Christs sake, and they're only 4th.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,966 ✭✭✭Jivin Turkey

Stekelly wrote:
    For a start as soon as the ball came over, instead of attacking it, like competant defenders (Terry, Carra etc) his first reaction is to run for the goal. I dont know which Warnock you've been watching (neil maybe?) but i've been very impressed with him and his tackling. His all round play is very good. He's my favourite type of defender, he's a ball and man tackler.
    Who are you criticising? Traore or Josemi? Josemi was mainly to blame for Fulham's first goal, the second one also came down the right if my memory serves me correctly.

Warnock is no great shakes. You may call him a "ball and man tackler" but in reality its what's called a reckless tackler. One of his leg-breaks was as a result of him tackling someone else IIRC. He's got fight and he is a decent enough player, but he wouldn't be making the difference if he was in the team.
    Stekelly wrote:
    Josemi will be out very soon,but it'll be Finnan back in as soon as he's fit, and rightly so. A centre half is badly needed to replace Hyypia. The only thing is , I hope Troare goes before Hyypia, because with a top class centre half playing inside him, it covers up alot of Troare's defensive attrocities, so he'll hide behind that again.
    I don't think anyone would argue that Finnan is first choice, or that another CB is required.
    Stekelly wrote:
    As for bloody ciise, the only time he can score is by hitting it as hard as possible as quickly as possible, seriously look at all his goal. If he has a second to consider his options, he fluffs it. There is no finess or skill about him. He gets in front of goal and drills the ball as hard as possible in the hope it goes in. He showed last week against Blackburn that he couldnt score if Friedel had gone off injured and Blackburn hadnt bothered replacing him. He did score, however when the ball was rolled in front of him for him to smash it.
    I don't really rate Cisse either and I think the only reason he is still in the team is lack of options on the right due to Benfica screwing Liverpool around.
    Stekelly wrote:
    It is a crisis btw. The only time liverpool should be in the bottom half is alphabetically at the start of the season. We're 9 points behind Wigan for Christs sake, and they're only 4th.
    It's not a crisis. How long have you been watching football? How often are places decided in October? It is still the start of the season, Liverpool have only played eight games for Christ sake.

I was talking about Traore.

It's not a crisis. How long have you been watching football? How often are places decided in October? It is still the start of the season, Liverpool have only played eight games for Christ sake.

Coming up on 20 years now. Yes they have only playe d8 games but have also only won 2 of those 8. Whereas, having played only 1 game more, Wiga have won 3 times as many games.Charlton have also won 3 times as many games. Best case scenario, we are 12 points off the top IF, thats a massive if on current form, we win our 2 games in hand on Chelsea. That is not acceptable. Dropping 14 points out of the first 24 is very bad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,390 ✭✭✭galwaydude

What liverpool need is a left fullback, centre back and a striker

Reina is ok, not much better than dudek to be honest
    I have seen traore enough times, he makes too many mistakes for my liking.
    Josemi is better at cb than fullback. Finnan has to be first choice fullback,
    We need more competition at CB, someone to put pressure on hypia.

maybe move risse back to leftback as hopefully kewell once he regains his fitness will slot into left wing. Hopefully Simao if we get him will slot ino right winger.

The two midfield slots are alonso and gerrard of course with hamann as backup.

Up front its tricky as we have loads of options but all are clearly lack some confidence in front of goal. I think we should sell moro if he hasnt settled into the side by january or the end of the season at least.
    Cisse missed too many chances.
    Crouch is crouch, just another niall quinn with skill.
    We should play 4:4:2 at home and 4:3:2:1 in europe like we have done so far.

Benitez hasnt clearly mastered the premiership yet, losing on saturday was embaressing. I cant fault liverpool in europe though, stange!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,057 ✭✭✭TheMonster

This sums up the problems at Liverpool - Shows the goals per game for Liverpool of the current "strikers".
    Morientes:25-5
    Cisse:
    43-14
    Pongolle:--56-7
    Crouch:----10-0

Combined they score 0.19 goals a game

Taken from another thread so can't guarantee their accuracy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,613 ✭✭✭Big Nelly

TheMonster wrote:
    This sums up the problems at Liverpool - Shows the goals per game for Liverpool of the current "strikers".

Taken from another thread so can't guarantee their accuracy

Hahahahahahahahaha

Morientes is class sure!!! well so I was told on another thread! WORLD CLASS if I remember!! still go by what I said there! wont repeat!! everyone went mental that day going on about how great Liverpool are and so on......I said look at the table and you will see what I mean!!! as usual I am right and it is starting to show!! Liverpool for relegation!! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,541 ✭✭✭Davei141

2 Spanish La Liga (2000-01, 2002-03)
    2 Spainsh Super Cups (1997, 2001)
    3 Champions Leagues (1997-98, 1999-00, 2001-02)
    2 Intercontinental Cups (1998, 2002)
    1 UEFA Super Cup (2002)
    1 Subcampeonato of Europe sub-21 (1996)

115 goals in the spanish league, 29 in the champions league, and 24 in 37 games at international level. Not to mention god knows how many assists. Scored over 170 goals at the very highest level.

Still want to show your ignorance hidden behind that incoherent mess?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,057 ✭✭✭TheMonster

unfortunately the only relevant stat is

Morientes:25-5 ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,399 ✭✭✭✭Thanx 4 The Fish

I think that the other stat you have top pay attention to is how many of those games he was coming back from in jury. He has had two long lay offs since being here. if you knock off three or four games after comiing back and bear in mind that he is settling into a new league where time and space are at a premium and people are not afraid to tackle and his misses can be understood. He missed three absolute sitters last week but as has been said, at least he was good enough to make the space and get in the position to score. I have no doubt that he will score goals.

Liverpools real problems lie up front granted there is cracs in the defence when it is not full strength (less when it is but not many), but there is a good and strong midfield and plenty of ability there. Of the five strikers there only one or and outside two have ever performed at any kind of decent level, over a fair amount of time. Cisse I would still give time toi as well as Morientes, both are not used to the game here and neither is recognised as a particularly creative striker, like Baros and Owen were when here. Crouch should be well used to the english game, hell he has been playing it long enough, FloPo is creative but injured at the mo, I would like to see him get a run up front as he has looked good but not had many chances.

People who come out with things like 80% of Liverpools team are a liability, while failing to recognise the fact that they have themselves proven they are talking from their nether regions, will go on spouting the same anti (insert team here) rubbish ad infinitum and will never learn. My favourite quote - as usual I am right. Nelly post what you like but at least try and back it up with someting for a change.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,316 ✭✭✭ButcherOfNog

Strikers won't score without service.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭Necronomicon

I think the defence is solid enough. Finnan and Carra are permenant fixtures in the team, and Hyypia, even though he might need replacing in the near future, played every minute of their Champion's League campaign last season...he may be getting on, but I still rate him as a pretty decent defender. Talking about the left-back position, I think Warnock and Riise can both do good jobs there...I don't see why Traore keeps getting picked.
    The midfield is strong, Gerrard-Alonso is a great central partnership--one obvious problem is Rafa's rotation on the wings. Missing out on Gonzalez was a big blow, so it's good for Liverpool that they seem to have agreed a fee for him. I don't think Garcia or Cisse(especially) are at their best there at all. As for the left, I thought Zenden was a good signing, but he hasn't really gotten going in his Liverpool career. Kewell is back now as well, but injury-prone and inconsistent since joining.
    I think up front is the blindingly obvious problem. Somebody posted the stats earlier in the thread, it's not the best reading for Benitez. Morientes has been pretty unlucky with injuries, as if adapting to the Premiership wasn't hard enough already, but with his record surely you'd expect goals when he gets going.

Benitez seems like a quiet guy in his interviews etc, but no wonder he blew his lid. They haven't won any of their 3 games this season after midweek European action. Although Benitez has to share some of the blame I think, as he still hasn't quite found his own feet in the Premiership. Fans must still worship the ground he walks on after winning the Champion's League, but 2 wins out of 8 isn't up to standards at all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭FatherTed

Looks like his rant didnt work. (carling cup game tonight)

ah well yet another inept preformance by liverpool.The joys of been a liverpool fan (NOT)

I cant excuse the preformance of liverpool at the moment or for the last few months, all i know is that we are ****e right now and light years behind Chelsea and arsenal and Utd. Bring on January!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭PiE

It'd be comical if it weren't so pathetic.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,731 ✭✭✭el rabitos

"BRING ON JANUARY"

am i the only one who can remember those words being thrown around alot here last season, deja vu. must be a glitch in the matrix :)

ye ye i know but we can live in hope that we do some bodies in, ideally a CB, RW and a fullback.

Been a liverpool fan is a stressful job lol

I think we should all convert to Toffees, at least they know they're not going to win anything - its so much easier. :)

Mike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,681 ✭✭✭Johnny_the_fox

deja vu... going on here.????

the season after liverpool won the uefa cup.. we signed average players.
    league cup - grimsby beat us in the third round... etc

the season after liverpool won the champions league.. we sign average players.
    league cup - crystal palace beat us in the third round... etc

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭PiE

Ok but seriously... what the sweet f*ck is it with keepers playing the games of their lives against Liverpool?

Also yea, Kewell didn't look too bad in the highlights on Sky.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,731 ✭✭✭el rabitos

theres just been something rotten about the whole club since the mid 90's. SO many average players, so much bad business been done (losing adidas as kit makers for one) i dont know if its parry or moores or who it is. but complacency seems to be the general theme of the club.

"rafa reads reds the riot act" ? - by the sounds of what rafa has been saying, he sat the players down and had a nice soical chat about whats going wrong and that the players and staff need to improve...WTF??

now is it me or would alex ferguson, arsene wenger, or jose mourinho be saying maybe him and his staff need to improve? i reckon when wenger reads the riot act then something happens. fergusons hair drier threatment is well known, and mourinho has the option of selling his whole team if they dont perform. i'm sure rafa knows what needs to be fixed but i'm starting to wonder if he commands the same respect amongst players that the above managers carry

for years, the whole vibe i've ever had from liverpool is that everyone is in some kind of comfort zone, i dont know what it is.....does anyone think that chelsea, man utd, arsenal would have almost lost they're best player in the summer because he didnt feel wanted/needed?? not bloody likely

i'm not calling for rafa to get the sack or whatever, but theres something seriously rotten at that club, too many average players, no heart or desire to fight for the team (2 or 3 exceptions) the chairman and parry dont seem to have much of a killer instinct on the business side of things.

i dont like to rant much or write long posts, but having raised hopes for so many years and then losing to such lower calibre opposition just bugs me. :(

i could go on about who i think pool should and shouldnt buy. but i dont think rafa is a member of boards

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ziggy

This post has been deleted.

well said mate

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,657 ✭✭✭The Rooster

PiE wrote:
    Also yea, Kewell didn't look too bad in the highlights on Sky.
    For once Kewell was played on the left, rather than up-front or on the right. Definitely, and by a long long way, the left is his best position.

He actually played quite well, and you could see his confidence growing. He was involved a lot, was demanding the ball, and looked the most likely to make something happen. So Rafa took him off :( and brought on Fackinuseless Garcia.

Not saying a lot, but I've seen Liverpool play worse this season. Credit to Palace they played very well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭Bluetonic

mike65 wrote:
    I think we should all convert to Toffees, at least they know they're not going to win anything - its so much easier. :)

Mike.

Ah nice to see the infatuation with Everton creaping in to the Reds*ite mindset again.

God you lot are obsessed.

Alot like the bluenoses infatuation with the Pool, when came fourth was not about CL qualification it was all about being better than Liverpool for a season. Prob just as well it was not about CL TBH. Even Bird flu can get into Europe.

"We are where we are on merit, the table doesn't lie" - David Moyes - May

Liverpool should be able to beat Crystal palace but for the third time this season they met a keeper who was in the form of his life. An almost completely new defence, a different midfield than usual and two very similar strikers up top. I for one cannot see the benefit of playing Nando and Crouch together. Kewell looked better than he has in some time and Gerrard was his usual all in self which was pretty good after a lay off. Crystal Palace got in amongst em but the Pool did work hard and were denied by some superb keeping. Overall fair play to CP, i think the pools luck has to change though and some of the numerous decent shots on target they are having will start to fly in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,657 ✭✭✭The Rooster

Bluetonic wrote:
    Ah nice to see the infatuation with Everton creaping in to the Reds*ite mindset again.

God you lot are obsessed.
    No matter how bad things get, there's also someone worse off :D

People who come out with things like 80% of Liverpools team are a liability, while failing to recognise the fact that they have themselves proven they are talking from their nether regions, will go on spouting the same anti (insert team here) rubbish ad infinitum and will never learn. My favourite quote - as usual I am right. Nelly post what you like but at least try and back it up with someting for a change.

Again I backed that up! I went throught the whole first team and was very nice if you watch the display from last night! you keep on going on about everyone being anti this anti that!! I don't mind Liverpool as a club, have nothing against them.....just think you should actually wake up and watch some of there games! they are a joke.....I watch most of the footie on Sky including the lower league games and I have to say Liverpool are the worst side I have watched in the league over the last 3-4 seasons! ok they havent been relagated but they havent won the league either.....they are sooooooo boring! its like watching paint dry when you see them on!! no imagination, no wingers and so on!!! best thing is all the Liverpool supporters here with there red tinted glasses on jumping to there defence but if it was Man Utd/Arsenal/Chelsea that where playing like Liverpool then it would be a completely different story!!! I support Shef Wed and always have so none of the so called big teams annoy me!! but I would rather watch a Arsenal/Man Utd/Chelsea/Wigan game that a Liverpool game!! least there would be some excitement

Anyway last time I backed it up! went throught the squad! but you just resorted to personal insults but of course it wasnt one because you said! why dont you try and back up what you are talking about in regards to Liverpool???? as I said in that thread if you are happy with the way results are going then you will be cheering about the Champions League win in Championship next season......well so far since that thread I havent seen a thing from Liverpool to suggest anything different......will prob get someone now posting "5 times" or something like that!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,263 ✭✭✭yom 1

Big Nelly wrote:
    will prob get someone now posting 5 timesor something like that!!

No need you already did:D :D

You went through the whole team, gave em the ratings and then failed to notice that the numbers that you quoted did not add up. How is life under that bridge anyway ?

Liverpool fans are not happy with the performances of late but are less happy with people who know absolutley nothing about the game coming on Trolling for a while then running off to hide under the bridge until the next bad result. You have not offered any constructive criticism, you have just gone for the "Everybody else is wrong and I am right" approach which does not behove you to anybody.

• Advertisement

...when came fourth was not about CL qualification it was all about being better than Liverpool for a season...

Anything to substantiate this claim, or is it just your own personal opinion.

Gosh, I wonder what Evertonians did for the 14 years Liverpool weren't in existance, poor Evertonians, nothing to get infatuated about.

You went through the whole team, gave em the ratings and then failed to notice that the numbers that you quoted did not add up. How is life under that bridge anyway ?

Liverpool fans are not happy with the performances of late but are less happy with people who know absolutley nothing about the game coming on Trolling for a while then running off to hide under the bridge until the next bad result. You have not offered any constructive criticism, you have just gone for the "Everybody else is wrong and I am right" approach which does not behove you to anybody.

Again if you read the thread I said ok it didnt add up to 80% and my maths wasnt good....to be honest I never figured out what percentage it was!! but the person who I was discussing it left it at that and so had I until personal insults started flying around so I left the thread because I wasnt too bothered!!

Now forgive me if I am wrong but you have blamed the goalkeeper for Liverpool losing????? yeah goalkeeper....they are terrible! never let the ball roll into the net!! next excuse will be it was the ref....didnt give us a peno.....then it will be the post that got in the way!!! or the floodlights where not bright enough! wat else can we use? couldnt see the white lines?

Again I ask if Man Utd/Arsenal/Chelsea where playing the way Liverpool are what would you say? be honest

Who is trolling here? me or you? because last time on that thread I went to the bother to go through the team! you just came onto thread said something! I disagreed so then you called me thick!! great arguement!!!

So you want "constructive criticism"? ok, goalkeeper is ok/average...there is plenty of better keepers in the PL and in Europe.....has only been around a while and I didnt watch much of him in Spain but from what I have seen and heard from Liverpool FANS they regard him as average.....tiem will tell

Defence: well if Carra wasnt there it would be a joke in the centre.....Hyypia is too slow and making more mistakes per game, Finnan is a good player and solid, Carra is good player but there is about 4 better central defenders in the PL alone!!! Warnock looks like a prospect!! Traore is a joke, rest are very young

Midfield: Gerrard and Alonso are only decent midfielders....not sure if I am supposed to put Risse in defence or midfield....was bought as a left back but seems to be playing left midfield.....anyway he is good.....Garcia is a european only player and to be honest I havent seen him play one good game this season yet!!! Hamann is good but getting on now! Kewell is a pure disaster....another player I dont know if a midfielder or striker anymore but will stick him here anyway....Sinama Pongolle....doesnt seem to care! alot of people on your on sky sports giving out about him last night!!

Forward: Morientes: as put last night "couldnt hit a barn door with a banjo" at the moment....not in great form but getting no service! good player, not World Class, Crouch, good player but no service.....>Cisse, waste fo 14 million...will be gone in Jan,

I live quite close to there actually and go to all of liverpools home games, the Everonians that are about on matchdays or on the odd outings that I go to liverpool for are about how they beat Liverpool in the league, or how the beast team in Europe are not the best team on Merseyside. If you have been recemtly you will have noticed similar behaviour. Even on the bus ride through the city the Everton fans were singing songs to that effect, I have some on my phone if you really need more evidence, just pm me your number and I can send them to you.

Nelly, let's get one thing straight, nobody called you thick, if you misinterpreted something then that is nobody elses fault but your own, you maintained you were obstinate and would argue with a wall, I maintained that the wall that you argued with would be broad wide or thick, where is the problem here. No personal abuse, but I do apologise for criticising the dimensions of a wall that you would argue with.

Fair play for finally putting the 80% of the team are liabilities thing to bed at last, one of these days you will actually come out and say, Well yeah it was a stupid thing to say and I had to defend it, but until then above outline will have to do.

I live quite close to there actually and go to all of liverpools home games, the Everonians that are about on matchdays or on the odd outings that I go to liverpool for are about how they beat Liverpool in the league, or how the beast team in Europe are not the best team on Merseyside. If you have been recemtly you will have noticed similar behaviour. Even on the bus ride through the city the Everton fans were singing songs to that effect, I have some on my phone if you really need more evidence, just pm me your number and I can send them to you.

I have to say I do think it's in the minority of Evertonians, the vast majority, I'm talking 35 y.o + couldn't care less about it apart from on actually derby day.

Most passionate Evertonians realise that there are enough problems around Goodison without casting eyes of infatuation over Liverpool.

I for one do anyhow. 6 months is a long time in football.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Liverpool should be able to beat Crystal palace but for the third time this season they met a keeper who was in the form of his life.

If the ball is placed in the corner that a keeper can't get to no matter what, it doesn't matter. Liverpool were not clinical enough in their finishing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭Waster

mike65 wrote:

His back 4 last Saturday

My back 4

He's clearly got the European stuff worked out pretty well, but its the Prem that the bread and butter. I'd hate to win the CL again and finnish say 7th.

Maybe he needs a British/Irish number 2.

Bring back Old Big Nose! :)

Mike.

Barragan is injured at the moment. He underwent surgery earlier this month.
    http://www.liverpoolfc.tv/news/archivedirs/news/2005/oct/11/N150233051011-1004.htm

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,178 ✭✭✭beer enigma

As has been suggested...just something out of balance at the club for quite a few years...........difficult to pinpoint and I don't think January's transfer window is necessarily the answer.

They just don't seem to 'gel' as a team and no matter what players you buy, if the 'gel' isnt there...its not gonna work.

I personally don't think Rafa is the best option for Liverpool....I DO think he's a good manager, but maybe at the wrong club. Afraid I can't suggest a replacement, but someone who'll stand up to the board and the players.

The Gerrard fiasco can't have helped....dont get me wrong, I think he's an amazing player, but no player is bigger than the club...similar thing going wrong at Newcastle with Shearer.

Waster wrote:
    Barragan is injured at the moment. He underwent surgery earlier this month.
    http://www.liverpoolfc.tv/news/archivedirs/news/2005/oct/11/N150233051011-1004.htm

Ah well....in that case Josemi should have been a CB and Cara moved to RB.

As for Rafa and the team I'm beginning to wonder if a certain loss of faith has occured.
    ..I DO think he's a good manager, but maybe at the wrong club

That thought occured to me, maybe someone like Curbs really is the right sort. I think Gerrard wanted him when Ged went. Still I don't think Rafa is going anywhere this season unless he resigns and by May this thread could look quite quaint.

Mike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,105 ✭✭✭mada999

I've watched the majority of Liverpool's games this season and last....

some players at the moment are not trying and don't have any heart....when they lose the ball they just stop or shug their shoulders instead of trying to get the ball back....

some of them like Kewel and garcia should not be wearing a liverpool jersey coz they don't deserve it.....we need players who love the club and have the heart and pride like Carragher,Gerard,Alonso.....

Wasters like
    Kewell (complete and utter waster and has been given too many chances), Garcia (can only do it in europe), Traore (a complete joke), Zenden (not good enough for liverpool), Morientes (slow as a snail...don't gimme cráp about his injuries), Josemi ( not good enough for liverpool) should be shown the door now as they are just cráp....I can't see Benitez buying his way out of trouble....but I hope he at least buys some decent players in january to salvage something of this seasons misery....

Cisse is not a great striker but I have to say he's the best of a bad bunch at the moment and should be given his game....no point him gaining confidence when scoring to be left out of the next game....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,709 ✭✭✭BolBill

mada999 wrote:

some players at the moment are not trying and don't have any heart....when they lose the ball they just stop or shug their shoulders instead of trying to get the ball back....

some of them like Kewel and garcia should not be wearing a liverpool jersey coz they don't deserve it.....we need players who love the club and have the heart and pride like Carragher,Gerard,Alonso.....

Wasters like
    Kewell (complete and utter waster and has been given too many chances), Garcia (can only do it in europe), Traore (a complete joke), Zenden (not good enough for liverpool), Morientes (slow as a snail...don't gimme cráp about his injuries), Josemi ( not good enough for liverpool) should be shown the door now as they are just cráp....I can't see Benitez buying his way out of trouble....but I hope he at least buys some decent players in january to salvage something of this seasons misery....

Cisse is not a great striker but I have to say he's the best of a bad bunch at the moment and should be given his game....no point him gaining confidence when scoring to be left out of the next game....

Good post mate, but you forgot Crouch (or Lurch) he's not good enough either. He's had more clubs than I've had hot dinners and now suddenly he's supposed to be good, he's not, he's waaaaaay out of his depth (and thats saying something !)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 956 ✭✭✭midget lord

Andip wrote:
    I personally don't think Rafa is the best option for Liverpool....I DO think he's a good manager, but maybe at the wrong club. Afraid I can't suggest a replacement, but someone who'll stand up to the board and the players.

What makes you think that Rafa has not stood up to the board or to the players?

mada990 wrote:

Wasters like

BolBill wrote:
    Good post mate, but you forgot Crouch (or Lurch) he's not good enough either. He's had more clubs than I've had hot dinners and now suddenly he's supposed to be good, he's not, he's waaaaaay out of his depth (and thats saying something !)

A question i often ask myself is 'why do i come on this website?'

even before i clicked on my boards.ie favourite link i knew i was going to get annoyed by some aimless kneejerking bull**** about rafa this and rafa that, crouch is this, so is kewell and traore and garcia and morientes blah blah blah. Thanks for not disappointing me lads.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,263 ✭✭✭yom 1

What makes you think that Rafa has not stood up to the board or to the players?

IIRC didn't he stand up to a certain Michael Owen and said sign up or fcuk off within the first month or 2 of taking charge

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,709 ✭✭✭BolBill

A question i often ask myself is 'why do i come on this website?'

even before i clicked on my boards.ie favourite link i knew i was going to get annoyed by some aimless kneejerking bull**** about rafa this and rafa that, crouch is this, so is kewell and traore and garcia and morientes blah blah blah. Thanks for not disappointing me lads.

No probs. If you knew you were going to get annoyed why bother in the first place?

BolBill wrote:
    No probs. If you knew you were going to get annoyed why bother in the first place?

For the same reason i bought those nipple clamps.

• Advertisement
Advertisement