Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Algorithmic Problem Solving

Options
  • 24-10-2005 9:20pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭

Hey dudes,

Who's doing this module? How are you finding it?

Have you been able to do the assignment? I still haven't done it :(

I'm really making this thread, cos I missed a lecture last Friday, and it's only after striking me that he could have given us an assignment in that lecture (since it was after the deadline for the last one).

So anybody know about the assignments? We still only got the one?

Also, I lost the sheet that has the assignments on it :( Am I able to get another one somewhere? Like will the secretary give me another, do ya suppose?

Thanks

P.S., let's try avoid saying "just ask your tutor, thhtupid!" Cheers

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,677 ✭✭✭Waltons

I'm doing it! I'm finding it interesting but slightly tricky.
    You should probably get the assignment in ASAP because the word on the street is that as of 3.01 on wednesday it's considered a week late and you lose 5%....So I hear anyway :eek:

I was there on Friday and he didn't give us the second assignment but he DID give us a free mars or snickers bar (I'm not even joking :D). He mentioned that he'd be giving out the second assignment during this week.
    I dunno if you'll be able to get a new copy of the first assignment at this stage. I think I still have mine if you want it though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

I'm finding it quite un-interesting, and terribly confusing/impossible! :( I guess I'm just not into mental challenges :(

(see PM re: the second part :p)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,051 ✭✭✭BKtje

Ye im doing this and had it in at about 3.02 :p
    Will see if it was considered a week late when i get it back i suppose.

I can get my head around some of it and then the next problem will have me stumped for ever. Its interesting enough i guess but too much damn thinking involved ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 73 ✭✭PaulDoh

They didn't give me a Mars. I was only offered a nasty Snickers. :(

Luckyyyy :( (@B-K-DzR )

I hate it!

We won't have to do this after 1st year... right? :(

(BA CS)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,608 ✭✭✭breadmonkey

Wow, this board is be taken over be some highly organised marauding comp sicence crew...NNNNNNNNNNNNOOO!:p

:cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭rasher_b2

Wow, this board is be taken over be some highly organised marauding comp sicence crew...NNNNNNNNNNNNOOO!:p

Damn straight.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

*high-fives*

We won't have to do this after 1st year... right?
    God i hope not.

BSc CS ;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,088 ✭✭✭Ruskie4Rent

I also missed that lecture. I need to catch up and do this week's assignment but I really don't like algorithms.

B-K-DzR wrote:
    God i hope not.

BSc CS ;)
    Lol, we didn't have to do anything like that in 1st CS...
    2nd BSc CS here... next year you'll have Data Structures and Algorithms... lots of Java, and getting your head around algorithms and that sort of thing.
    :p

Old eh? hehe

I feel old too but mainly cos im a bum and dropped out out of DIT a couple of years ago before deciding to come back and get a proper edumacation. I only have to look around the lecture theatres to really have it hit home that i should be finishing up now. Then again... if i look at the very front i can at least console myself that im not one of the 30-40+ers ;)

Yep... I should be in 4th year now... *sigh*
    I'm not much older than most of my class, but when I know I'm the only one in the class who started college in 2002...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 96 ✭✭White Rabbit

I'm in your class and did my leaving in '99 quit your whining and hand me that Zimmer frame!

Even when ya feel old....theres always one older! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 141 ✭✭Hanginthere

A pointless godforsaken course if their ever was one, The homework was just tedious not difficult. And the tutorials are a pain in the ass because we dont get points for them

yer hanginthere i know what ya mean. The tutorials recently are just basically re-worded versions of what he's already done in lectures (which is fine but makes it all kinda easy if ya got your hand out with you). Im afraid to miss one cos every now and then they actually have tougher problems which make ya think :)

I can really see myself doing badly in the exam tho :(

Ah well only time will tell.

I'll be happy as long as I pass it! I'm glad he's giving the assignments because it'd be absolutely horrible to have a 100% test in this :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 73 ✭✭PaulDoh

So was there an assignment today? I missed the lecture.

• Advertisement

Yep, we got our assignment

I am really frightened about this course :(

I don't understand any of the crap in the lectures, there is no book that I can read to explain it, I can't do the problems in the tutorials, and I definitely can't do the assignments.

I don't know what I'm gonna do... What happens if I fail the Christmas exam? What about this new thing where you can transfer a percentage from one result to another if you fail? I don't understand that -- can someone explain it? Is it faculty-specific, or what? Is there a margin that you have to get past?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,088 ✭✭✭Ruskie4Rent

I'm pretty much in the same boat and i don't have a clue what will happen WHEN I fail this class. I'm really worried about this.

Its something like if its a close fail you can pull your grade up depending on how you do in your other subjects. Not certain but i think thats how it was explained to me one night while i was drunk (so could very well be wrong).

Todays assignment is pretty easy. If they all like thgis i guess ill pass.

The tutors might put a word in in for you if you've been going to the tutorials if it's a close call

That's bad news for me :p I've been to 2 or 3 tutorials I think...

I didn't know if they were compulsary or not, like the Programming ones. They don't even take registration anymore, and there's barely anyone in the class!

u dont get anything from the tutorials bar helping solving some problems. No marks etc. Only missed one tutorial...missed a fair few of the lectures tho :p

B-K-DzR wrote:
    u dont get anything from the tutorials bar helping solving some problems. No marks etc. Only missed one tutorial...missed a fair few of the lectures tho :p
    I didn't mean you get marks or anything for going but if you're on a close fail one of the tutors might put in a word for you if you've been going consistantly

• Registered Users Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭irlrobins

Who is the lecturer for this course?

• Advertisement

Henry McLoughlin -- nice guy, but practically inaudible!

Advertisement