Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PVR Question

Options
  • 24-10-2005 9:54pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 121 ✭✭

Hi,

I have Sky+ nearly 2 yrs now and am delighted with it. Lately I've seen several ads that Lidl/Aldi/ various other brands are offering similar Hard Disk + DVD recorders and was wondering whether these have the same properties as Sky+, but just without the digital TV Guide?
    I was thinking of getting such a recorder as a gift for someone firmly set in the irish terrestrial world, who would have no use for, or interest in Sky+, but whose pile of video tapes containing half watched episodes of Home+Away etc is frightening.
    I was looking at some UK sites, but most of the boxes discussed are for Freeview, and give no info about analogue.

Any tips?

Cheers
    Clanc

Comments

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,123 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

Yes, one of these would be suitable for terrestrial television.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,188 ✭✭✭pH

Yep, though most won't have 2 tuners so you can only record one station at a time. Like Sky+ you can watch and record at the same time, and most will give you 'live pause'

You have no epg so recordings are scheduled by time (most boxes allow repeat scheduling)

Some have features better than Sky+

Auto Ad-skipping (or even just +1min/+3min/+5min keypressing)
    Video Editing (simple way to chop bits out manually to remove ads or just keep highlights from programs)
    High speed DVD transfer (ie burn to DVD at a quicker rate than just playing)

LIDL/Aldi sold a box recently
    Komplett sell some, but the cheapest seem to be 379 for an 80gb

As with all things analog TV in ireland, if you buy from Europe or the UK make damn sure the tuner is compatible with the CableTV stations you need.

Advertisement