Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How much is a wire transfer these days?

Options
  • 24-10-2005 11:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 20,835 ✭✭✭✭

Need to do a wire transfer to a www.hickmann.de. Any idea how much they cost these days and are some banks cheaper than others? Also, can they be done online?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

Wrong forum.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,984 ✭✭✭✭Lump

Last time I did it.... to transfer to a UK account, it was €20 that would take 5 days.... I was advised to sent a bankers cheque. The reason it'd take so long is because it was transfering to a foreign currency.

John

• Registered Users Posts: 7,631 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

cormie wrote:
    Need to do a wire transfer to a www.hickmann.de. Any idea how much they cost these days and are some banks cheaper than others? Also, can they be done online?

Personall transfers under about €5,000 are under a Euro, within the Euro Zone

• Registered Users Posts: 1,756 ✭✭✭vector

Personall transfers under about €5,000 are under a Euro, within the Euro Zone

I recently sent EUR 50 to a friend in France

The bank wanted the
    -"account holders name"
    -"IBAN"
    -"Swift/BIC"(they don't technically need this but they insist on getting it, possibly in an attempt to discourage such low profit eurozone transfers)

It cost me EUR 0.75 (no narrative, that was EUR 20 extra or something) and it took 6 calendat days before he saw it on his online statement.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,051 ✭✭✭mayhem#

Lump wrote:
    I was advised to sent a bankers cheque.

I love the fact that irish bank still advise customers to use bank drafts!
    Has anyone ever told them that most continental banks (that actually conduct their business with technologies from this century) hardly know what a bank draft is?!

Last time I tried to cash/lodge a bank draft in an account with a non-Irish bank they had to actually send it by post to the issuing bank in Ireland for verification...

E.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,756 ✭✭✭vector

In fairness the bank official was just informally telling the poster that a draft would be faster/better, and that is admirable, at least they are frank.

I think the real issue is why is the electronic service so slow/expensive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,668 ✭✭✭nlgbbbblth

Payments under €12,500 within the eurozone cost 51cent
    provided you have

- BIC and IBAN
    - are willing to send payment for value 'spot' (in 2 days time)

The UK is not in the eurozone.

Sending bank drafts within the eurozone is not to be recommended.

HOWEVER sending Sterling or US dollar drafts to the UK and the USA should present no problems.

I have won numerous ebay auctions and am not registered for paypal and have never had a problem paying for goods by draft when the seller is in the UK or USA.

• Registered Users Posts: 865 ✭✭✭kazzer

Im looking to transfer money (€4k) to an account in the north. Would it be better/faster using a bank draft. What currency would the bank draft be made?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,668 ✭✭✭nlgbbbblth

kazzer wrote:
    Im looking to transfer money (€4k) to an account in the north. Would it be better/faster using a bank draft. What currency would the bank draft be made?

Would be slower and cheaper to buy a bank draft and post it up.
    Would be faster and more expensive to do an electronic payment.

If the beneficiary is happy to accept the sterling equivalent of €4,000 then get a sterling draft. You could always get a euro draft and send it up but that has to be converted.

Advertisement