Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Forced into piracy

Options
  • 24-10-2005 11:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,676 ✭✭✭

Just wondering what you guys reckon of all this.
    I'm living in asia in a poorer part of it.
    I do manage to get out every couple (think 6-12) of months to buy software and hardware. At the moment I have a cutting edge rig (fx-57, 7800gtx,2gb ram, 74gb raptor, p180 etc) that I bought from singapore on one of my rare excursions. I have been buying as many games as possible over the past while, like I feel I should to justify the system.
    Snag being that it is absolutely impossible to buy ANY legal games in this country. I have been trying, In fact I tried to install legit Norton AV on my system and it just blank refused me because of my location. Vietnam is a difficult place to explain IP.
    Some games like BF2, HL2, WH40K:DOW and the expansion Winter Assault I wouldnt even consider buying pirate because I believe in supporting the developers. It might take an extra 3-4 months but i try to do it.
    Basically what I ask is if you are forced in the situation like I am will you pirate?
    PS feel free to delete if it offends.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,225 ✭✭✭Ciaran500

Can you not import?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,502 ✭✭✭MrPinK

If it was me, I'd be playing the games right now while wearing my eye-patch and singing sea chanties. I would of course then buy the originals as soon as the opportunity arose.

I'd never pay for pirated copies though, the leeches shouldn't be able to profit off of other peoples work.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,258 ✭✭✭✭Rabies

Can someone at home buy it for you and post it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,638 ✭✭✭bombidol

Hell i'd use pirated software if it was the only choice. the price you are paying for it is probably closer to a fair amount that what we are paying over here.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,682 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

bombidol wrote:
    Hell i'd use pirated software if it was the only choice. the price you are paying for it is probably closer to a fair amount that what we are paying over here.

It's usually about the equivelent of 30c.

• Advertisement

30 cent / 60 Euro. i know what id do

• Registered Users Posts: 1,676 ✭✭✭ArphaRima

Basically the computer district is a collection of pirate dvd/cd shops. There are catalogues covering the tables, and cd covers plastered all over the walls. You can get literally ANYTHING. Its 50 cent per cd. The only legit software I have seen in the entire country was Norton AV and Windows XP. Even then I'd suspect their product ID codes have been compromised by at least one other user.
    I have seen one legitimate film DVD shop in the city, amongst hundreds of pirate stores. Not a sinner inside.
    My feelings on Film DVDs are quite different though. Film studios are actually selling legitimate and fully featured copies in China for 3 dollars on the mass market. Now explain why it costs 35 euro at home? I dont mind paying 20 percent, or maybe even 50 percent more for living in europe. But over 1000 percent?!?! Yeah right!

As for Kieran and Rabies. Importing is not an option. Im still waiting on my birthday present. Last year! Unreliable, liable to theft, and painfully slow.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,199 ✭✭✭Jimi-Spandex

TBH fluffer, I'd buy the pirate now and then the next time you are out of the country or at somewhere that you can buy a legit copy, get it.

In fairness, there's no reason for you to feel bad, it is up to the governments of these countries to enact and enforce intellectual property rights.

screw it, the money these companys are making is madness. if you can get the end product cheaper then take it. pirate or not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 686 ✭✭✭The Troll

bombidol wrote:
    30 cent / 60 Euro. i know what id do

Ditto.

What a stupid question. Do you honestly expect us to answer: No dont play pirated games. We at boards.ie have never even entertained such an idea for a LAN game etc. Every LAN game i play, every single person has their own individual copy of the game being played that is fully legit. Using pirated games and software is for criminals only. So unless you're a criminal dont ever play any games that you cant buy legit there. EVER.

• Advertisement

Call me a criminal

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,198 ✭✭✭shabbyroad

screw it, the money these companys are making is madness. if you can get the end product cheaper then take it. pirate or not.

No, wouldn't call you a criminal. Just not very well informed and perhaps trolling.

OP question is a pretty easy one to answer - if you want to see more games being developed then you better be buying legit product. Simple as.

dont get me wrong. i buy legit games all the time. but if i was livin in a place where i couldnt get legit stuff and only pirates. i wouldnt be going out of my way to search for legit stuff

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,502 ✭✭✭MrPinK

shabbyroad wrote:
    if you want to see more games being developed then you better be buying legit product. Simple as.
    He isn't able to buy legit products, that's the whole point. Not quite as simple.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 418 ✭✭Zaphod B

Hmm, this troll is hungry; I shall emerge from under my bridge. Any goats to eat? Om nyom... anyway... the guy says it's virtually impossible for him to obtain legit games and people are seriously saying he should never consider buying non-legit copies? Would you also accost the people in Asia wearing fake Levi's and demand they fly out of their country in order to get the real thing? :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 Tezcat

Zaphod B wrote:
    Any goats to eat? Om nyom...
    lol

It's a tough one alright, spend the money on a parrot I recon. They're massive fun, very clever too.

You always have chess.
    oh fook, Battle Chess, I didnt put that in my genre list. Game Rocked!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,643 ✭✭✭magpie

More to the point can you get us a catalogue from that shop and start taking orders?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,762 ✭✭✭WizZard

I'll send you all the legit games you want if you can send me the latest hardware at Singapore prices!! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,676 ✭✭✭ArphaRima

http://sg2.hardwarezone.com/priceguide/download.php

I bought most of my stuff from cybermind.

The rest of it (like my shiny new x-fi Fatal1ty) I bought at a computer expo that happened to be on. Insanely low prices there.
    Remember the prices are in Singapore dollars.

It might be worthwhile checking if these places do shipping.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭Doodee

singapore aint *that* cheap.

buy the pirate games.
    this arguement suggesting that pirated games are causing a lack of titles is a load of bollocks. Lack of ideas is causing lack of titles.

and before anyone freaks, can yeetell me without googling the answer just how much the renderrare package would set back a company?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 430 ✭✭Gizzard

fluffer wrote:
    Just wondering what you guys reckon of all this.
    I'm living in asia in a poorer part of it.
    I do manage to get out every couple (think 6-12) of months to buy software and hardware. At the moment I have a cutting edge rig (fx-57, 7800gtx,2gb ram, 74gb raptor, p180 etc) that I bought from singapore on one of my rare excursions. I have been buying as many games as possible over the past while, like I feel I should to justify the system.
    Snag being that it is absolutely impossible to buy ANY legal games in this country. I have been trying, In fact I tried to install legit Norton AV on my system and it just blank refused me because of my location. Vietnam is a difficult place to explain IP.
    Some games like BF2, HL2, WH40K:DOW and the expansion Winter Assault I wouldnt even consider buying pirate because I believe in supporting the developers. It might take an extra 3-4 months but i try to do it.
    Basically what I ask is if you are forced in the situation like I am will you pirate?
    PS feel free to delete if it offends.

Im living in China atm, the PS2 games are 50cent each, got shadow of the collosus and RE4 yesterday for 5 RMB each (50cent), awesome games, poster is right though I was trying to buy BF2 but was impossible to buy legit games, got a copy but cant play online doh, noone delivers to here

• Closed Accounts Posts: 418 ✭✭Zaphod B

Tezcat wrote:
    lol

It's a tough one alright, spend the money on a parrot I recon.

An Asian parrot? But... the bird flu! Don't panic! Don't panic!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,393 ✭✭✭jonski

Buy away and play away ,and be happy , oh and I'll pm you me address so you can start sending some over aswell . :p

• Registered Users Posts: 11,446 ✭✭✭✭amp

Not games related. Talk about the morals of piracy elsewhere.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement