Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BBC2,70S ROCK SHOW-old great whistle test

Options
  • 19-09-2001 11:51am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 511 ✭✭✭

did anyone see it last night?
    its on again tonight at about 11o clock,its
    the *old whistle test*.
    there was a band on that,i swear to God,were like a an even better version of todays indie rock-
    back in 1973.
    the singer resmbled mick jagger,slightly.
    also the j!VE GOING DOWN was UNREAL!
    the funk had my gism flowing.

purely outta interest -im already taken-is anyone
    interested in being in bands like that?
    i'd love to see some of that j!ve live!
    the freaksters seem like that!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 357 ✭✭Lolo

Tee hee - I guess that must have been the New York Dolls. Lovely to see somebody exctited about their first encounter with David Johanssen, who does bear a resemblance to an American rent boy Mick Jagger, and his bunch of merry freaks (a young, pretty Johnny Thunders on guitar before the heroin wasted him... droooool... ).

I missed the show - kicking myself now, but there's a bunch of other shows this week. Tonight's one at 10:30 features the Patti Smith Group in their prime who you might be well impressed with if you liked the Dolls.

And yes, I'd feckin' love to be making that kind of music, unfortunately you post just before I head off into the great blue yonder - well, alright, London's more of a great browny-grey yonder.

If you want to check out some New York Dolls records, the first one is great, and the second one (In Too Much Too Soon) is quite good too, but their records have never measured up to any of the live footage I've seen. Including the Whistle Test stuff which I've seen before on various punk specials etc. But dammit, I would have loved to have seen it last night.

BTW (long post, this) David Johanssen played in Whelan's last year, but now he does American folk music (a la O Brother Where Art Thou), but he did do a couple of acoustic versions of Dolls songs which were surprisingly good considering he's gnarly aul fella by now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 89 ✭✭anony

The Dolls had the look down.....but they were no Rolling Stones....is Keith Richards the ultimate rock star of the 20th century? Damn right

• Closed Accounts Posts: 655 ✭✭✭Raggamuffin

You must be in love baby L.U.V
    god the new york dolls
    some of them died from drug o.d's did'nt they

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 Germinal

I stayed up just to see a rare Captain Beefheart experience on the show. Amazing stuff. Saw the Average White Band being funky but alas missed NYD.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 511 ✭✭✭Gar_ptc

the singer of captain beef heart j!ved to the max;but what about the band that got funky at 930
    in the morning?excellence!
    new york dolls...they are now on my vintage list:
    jethro tull(playing here soon)
    emmerson,lake and palmer
    new york dolls

J!VE on you crazy cats

has anyone seen the documentary on the 1969 isle of white festival?
    it hasnt been on in a long time but by golly it is brilliant!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7 TheVoice

Ive heard OF the New York dolls but not any of their stuff.
    if theyre like patti smith ill like em coz horses is an excellent record.
    gutter punk is cool and coing. Lou reed velvet underground the stooges and now THE STROKES
    and yes gar_ptc and incredbile jive which id love to create. jus have to sound drunk when ur singing :)

interesting footnote patti smith has a song called About A Boy which is abotu Kurt cobain download it.
    band Im in isnt into that kind of stuff but i might try and slip in some stylings

Originally posted by Lolo
    Tonight's one at 10:30 features the Patti Smith Group in their prime who you might be well impressed with if you liked the Dolls.

Pity they decided to show Patti Smith doing a lacklustre cover of 'Hey Joe' instead of one of her own tunes. Anyone see it last night?

(Dammit, I missed Beefheart as well?!)

Originally posted by TheVoice

gutter punk is cool and coing. Lou reed velvet underground the stooges and now THE STROKES

I can't understand why the Strokes keep getting compared to the above bands. They look the part and they're from NY, but they're from a much poppier tradition. They don't do it for me.
    Originally posted by TheVoice

interesting footnote patti smith has a song called About A Boy which is abotu Kurt cobain download it.
    band Im in isnt into that kind of stuff but i might try and slip in some stylings

That whole album (Gone Again) is fantastic. Mostly deals with the death of her husband, Fred Sonic Smith from the MC5, but is about grief in general (sounds depressing but its actually very uplifting.) In a slightly bizarre twist of fate Jeff Buckley sings backing vocals on one of the tracks.

Originally posted by anony
    The Dolls had the look down.....but they were no Rolling Stones....

You really compare the two (apart form the fact that the Dolls were obviously very influenced by the Stones.) The Dolls were one of the first punk bands, therefore weren't really about musicianship. But they were still great!
    Originally posted by anony
    [Bis Keith Richards the ultimate rock star of the 20th century? Damn right [/B]

Who's arguing?! Actually, I frequently have drunken Keff vs. Mick arguments with myself.

Anyway, Charlie's the coolest member of the Stones.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 89 ✭✭anony

Well I a Keff man myself...... s h i t that's sounds kinda weird

Anyway I agree with you about the Strokes, the english music press are wettin' themselves over the strokes....totally over hypeing one band as usual.....the NME are no diffrent than smash hits when it comes to image......if the strokes were 5 balding middle aged guys (like most of the NME staff) playing the exact same music....they wouldn't give them a second look.....but because their "angular, skinny white boys" who namecheck critic approved bands like the velvets, television....ect their the new saviours of rock n' roll

PS patti smith was crap on the old grey whistle test....make no bones about it..................M'k

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 410 ✭✭francie brady

Originally posted by Gar_ptc
    the singer of captain beef heart j!ved to the max;

The singer of Captain Beefheart is Captain Beefheart, do you kids know anything????????????????

• Closed Accounts Posts: 511 ✭✭✭Gar_ptc

dont go bloomin j!ving me when im educating myself in proper music of lore,now do you have a worthwhile contribution or just a beration of my ignorance?

Advertisement