Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eircom Broadband unavailable.....

• 24-10-2005 11:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 48

i'm sure you've all read this 1000 times before but....

My line keeps on failing the line test. I only have the phone line about 3 months now(was waiting over 10 months to get the phone line installed).I live in an area where the exchange is broadband enablied(Swords Co. Dublin) and live within the 2 mile range of the exchange. Rang eircom "faults and repairs" and when they did a line test I was told either my cordless phone or phone socket was "slightly damaged". I removed the phone and another line test was done. They called me back saying my line was perfect and should be able to receive broadband. Got back on to "eircom broadband" where they used their pathetic line test database and again told me that line was unsuitable.I asked for a reason which they replied with the usual "broadband technology is extremely sensitive" crap. I'm a year now without broadband (wireless broadband is unavailable to me as im surrounded by high trees) and cant take it any more.

Can anyone give me advice on what to do regading getting broadband? And it would be great if anyone can give me proper reasons why I cant get broadband.

Cheers

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,450 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

mr.snrub wrote:
    i'm sure you've all read this 1000 times before but....

My line keeps on failing the line test. I only have the phone line about 3 months now(was waiting over 10 months to get the phone line installed).I live in an area where the exchange is broadband enablied(Swords Co. Dublin) and live within the 2 mile range of the exchange. Rang eircom "faults and repairs" and when they did a line test I was told either my cordless phone or phone socket was "slightly damaged". I removed the phone and another line test was done. They called me back saying my line was perfect and should be able to receive broadband. Got back on to "eircom broadband" where they used their pathetic line test database and again told me that line was unsuitable.I asked for a reason which they replied with the usual "broadband technology is extremely sensitive" crap. I'm a year now without broadband (wireless broadband is unavailable to me as im surrounded by high trees) and cant take it any more.

Can anyone give me advice on what to do regading getting broadband? And it would be great if anyone can give me proper reasons why I cant get broadband.

Cheers

if you got back onto the broadband section immediately after your chat with the faults people there is every likelyhood that they (the bb section) were relying on old test data. The tests seem to be only done once a month so your removing of the cordless phone from the line will not show up until the next test is done. So try again chances are it will pass next time once you leave the cordless phone off the line.

• Registered Users Posts: 48 mr.snrub

But does that mean i have to leave the phone out for the month? Then i cant receieve calls.should i buy a new phone?

mr.snrub wrote:
    But does that mean i have to leave the phone out for the month? Then i cant receieve calls.should i buy a new phone?

Borrow an old plug in one somewhere!!! It is well know that cordless phones or anything similar on the line can result in a fail so if you want bb get the cordless phone off the line asap. As soon as you get the bb connected you can plug it back in:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,231 ✭✭✭✭Sparky

usually around the 3rd to the 12th of every month

Sure mine fails right now even tho i have BB.

Sparky_S wrote:
    usually around the 3rd to the 12th of every month

Sure mine fails right now even tho i have BB.

Its fairly common for lines with bb to fail the test.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Blaster99

Try Clearwire as well if you haven't already. Trees are never great for wireless broadband, but you can give a shot.

Netsource's line checker tells you when the last line test was done, so you can use that to figure out when the next one is going to happen.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,864 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Use a plain standard Eircom wired phone for the month, even disconnect this phone when you are out of the house or in bed, don't use the cheap ones from Argos, they use a UK plug that can cause interference.

Do tihs for upto 5 weeks and keep checking your line once a week.

I had to do this nad I eventually got BB, I had it for over 2 years and it worked fine despite the fact that my line failed the test from one month to the next :)

Anyway I've NTL cable BB now and it is much better.

• Registered Users Posts: 48 mr.snrub

Cheers for all the feedback. Got on to eircom again today and they' re sending out an engineer(costing me 99 euros) in the next few days to see if theres an issue with the socket. Also hopefully he can give me a line test there and then to verify if I can get bb. BTW where can i get my hands on one of those regular eircom phones? I'm just so desperate to get bb at this stage that i'l try anything.

mr.snrub wrote:
    Cheers for all the feedback. Got on to eircom again today and they' re sending out an engineer(costing me 99 euros) in the next few days to see if theres an issue with the socket. Also hopefully he can give me a line test there and then to verify if I can get bb. BTW where can i get my hands on one of those regular eircom phones? I'm just so desperate to get bb at this stage that i'l try anything.

Roches stores basement?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 291 ✭✭Sonderval

I'd say most electronic's stores would have the old style phones. Argos even?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,864 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Sonderval wrote:
    I'd say most electronic's stores would have the old style phones. Argos even?

No, Argos has phones with UK style plugs which can work with an adaptor (that Argos supply for free) however this adaptor can add extra interference.

Advertisement