Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Owner of a Shih Tzu....

• 25-10-2005 12:02am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3

And im absolutely over the moon. 8 Week old bitch - All white body - completely black head and as cute as a button. Still deciding on names - we have to pick her up on Thursday.

Whatcha think of these ones?

1. Tinka
    2. Sassy
    3. Piper
    4. Duchess

I am a brand new dog owner, but ive been doin' my research now for a few weeks... any advice is most appreciated and welcomed!!! :D:D:D:D

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 488 ✭✭SuzyS1972

Other than don't take her out until she is fully vaccinated at 12 weeks and get her spayed at 6 months to avoid unwanted pregnancies and womb trouble - none at all

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

names: whatever you choose now, you'll end up calling her something else as soo as you get to know her better:D :D

general advice ...suzy said pretty much all, just one more thing.

While the young lady is couped up inside waiting for her vax to take, do a little "introduction to everyday things" programme.

After she's settled in and has learned to trust you, gradually introduce her to mundane things like hoovers, ringing phones, clanging pots, mops, etc.

Always do this calmly, matter of factly and with a little reward or praise for her when she takes it in her stride. So she won't be afraid of it later in life.

Later you do the same with the outside world.

But go easy, pups need alot of quiet time and sleep, keep the activity sessions short and low on the hype scale.

And one more thing: Be very wary of big brown puppy eyes. The cute little feckers get away with murder, just on looks alone.

What she isn't supposed to be doing as a grown up, she isn't allowed as a pup either ...however hard it may be to say "NO" to that cute little button ..do it ...it'll make your life so much easier later.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Dana13

Thanks for all the advice Guys... Keep it coming.

Picked her up tonight from her breeder - and it is hard not to let her get away with Murder - i can see there is going to be trouble ahead. She is pooping and piddling everywhere i look. So advice appreciated on the quickest way to train her.

I have her in the kitchen now with a little makeshift hotwater bottle in her bed and she is yappin away - so ive come upstairs to write this so i dont feel guilty and give in... I know bedtime is an important and crucial lesson in a pups life... and the sooner she learns - she better for me! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 61 ✭✭lolo2

Hi Dana,
    I dont think that dogs under 3-4 months physically have complete bladder control, so there probably will be accidents until then. Make sure you bring puppy out about five minutes after she eats and as often as you can, she will learn that toilet is outside.

You can also try crate training when she gets a little older if she hasnt got the message, (try googling crate training puppies) .

With regards grooming, get yourself a slicker brush as well as a soft bristle brush. You either have to make sure you brush shih tzus daily or they will end up with mats like dreadlocks, or keep them clipped. I would recommend just using the soft brush on her initially until she gets a bit tougher, but its a good idea to get her used to being handled for grooming.

Have fun with her!

Advertisement