Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Student Loan

Options
  • 25-10-2005 12:12am
    Registered Users Posts: 925 ✭✭✭

Is it absolutely necessary to have a guarantor when getting a student loan? I need about €900 loan for fees. I don't have a job at the moment but I'm expecting two payments of €450 by December 1st, so I can pay off the loan by then. What are my chances of getting one?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 240 ✭✭CCOVICH

I wouldn't think that you need a guarantor if you can prove to the bank that you will be receiving these two payments by December 1. Are they tax refunds or grant cheques?

A better way to go about this might be to get an overdraft for the amount and period in question. Banks may offer students favourable terms on overdrafts. Some (all?) banks may charge you €20/€25 to set up an overdraft, so this might reduce the attractiveness.

Talk to the Student Officer. Make sure they don't try and get you to borrow for longer than 1-2 months. That's why an overdraft might be the best way to go.

Advertisement