Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Old stray dog;

Options
  • 25-10-2005 12:40am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,579 ✭✭✭

An old stray dog comes to my work premises every day and I've started feeding him. It seems the dogs owner died some time ago and the dog would accompany him to work and, I suppose, the dog just kept up the tradition and still comes out to the yard everyday. I would say the dog is about ten or twelve years of age but as he's a small terrier dog he probably would live to be seventeen or eighteen years if he was well treated. I would keep the dog myself but I already have a dog and no room for another. I have dosed him for worms but he seems to have a patch of mange on his back. I have no problem taking him to the vet but any time I try to put him in the car he gets spooked and runs away. Any suggestions as to treating the dog myself, I'd hate to see him in pain. He's a very friendly dog and very quiet. Would anyone care to give him a home? He's obviously a very loyal dog and would make a great pet.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

Aww the poor little old guy :-( try contacting cork animal friends they may know someone who takes in oldies. It's going to be a harsh winter so mabey they can help.
    I'll PM u the number. Not saying they can take the dog but they may be able to help in some way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,366 ✭✭✭luckat

Oh, so sad! Would the vet come to you if you offered to pay him/her in gold?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,579 ✭✭✭junkyard

The big problem is trying to hold on to the dog until the vet would come to look at the dog. The dog doesn't call at a specific time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,366 ✭✭✭luckat

Hmm. Seems like you need to train the little guy. Do you know his name, so you can use it in praising him and associate it with treats?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 103 ✭✭thatkindofgirl

Have you tried putting a collar on him when you're feeding him? It'd be dead easy then to attach a lead.

But yes, training him with treats is definitely the best way to go. Mange and fleas can really cause problems in an oldie.

Hope it all goes well. :-)

• Advertisement

Thanks everybody for your help. I've treated the dog for his ills and he seems a lot better. I'm still looking for a home for him as it looks like its going to be a bad winter.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,468 ✭✭✭Evil Phil

Wire-haired terriers have terrible problems with their skin - our dog was plauged with exzema and other problems so I mightn't be mange.

There's a place called Cork animal welfare group their phone number is on this link http://www.irishanimals.ie/cork_homes.html just in case you haven't tried them already.

I got a picture of the dog if anybody's interested.

Just an update for anyone who's interested, it looks like I got a home for the dog. He's being collected on thursday which is great as it's getting colder and it would be very tough on him. Thanks again everyone who expressed an interest.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 103 ✭✭thatkindofgirl

That's brilliant, Junkyard. Thanks for posting the update. I always wonder about these poor forgotten ones!

He's a cutie alright -- I'm sure he'll be someone's best buddy in no time at all.:)

You done good.:D

Well done! It's freeeezin out now so he'll be so glad of a nice warm home :D

Advertisement