Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Connecting an access point

• 25-10-2005 12:41am
    Registered Users Posts: 47

I have recently purchased a netgear wireless router and I want to use an old d-link access point to connect another pc to the network. But i cant get them to see each other any ideas where i am going wrong?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,396 ✭✭✭✭Karoma

Models,and specified settings might help just a bit! Are they on the same subnet? What IP address have you given each? Are you trying to use DHCP??
    Does the 'old' Access Point(AP) have the facility to forward/act as a bridge (i.e. Same SSID, it just appears to be an extension of the router/rest of the net. / 'dumb')?

• Registered Users Posts: 47 Bravadin

Sotty maybe i am dumb but learning. The router is netgear DG834GT the AP is DLink 2100ap Both on 192.168.0.xxx with same subnet (default settings). Router is dhcp server for lan but AP is on static ip. no conflict with other computers. Im afraid that this is where the really dumb me takes over. I don't know a thing about a bridge.

What's the SSID of the router,and AP?
    Can you see both (Are they being boradcast) from a PC?
    Can you connect to each individually OK?

SSID is the same on both and I can connect to either one of the broadcasts. but when i connect to the AP the broadband connection is lost

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 72 ✭✭MrMagoo

Hi folks,

Hope you don't mind if I jump in here. I am also dumb when it comes to these things. Got digiweb metro installed, then purchased Netgear WG602 version 2. Followed the instructions and my wi-fi laptop is picking up the netgear AP but no connectivity. Have checked out the netgear support site and they are talking about DHCP this and that....not really sure what it all means.

Any help appreciated :o

Magoo

• Advertisement

sonfofa....i had written a lengthy answer but the session timed out.bah!

How do I set my DWL-2100AP to client mode? (It seems to be more aimed at Ethernet to Wireless facilitation,but the idea applies)
    http://support.dlink.com/faq/view.asp?prod_id=1571&question=DWL-2100AP

Bridging mode for this AP seems to only facilitate bridging with other DLink Access Points (And even then,only a few - with certain firmware revisions)
    Bridging mode is essentially:
    -Turning off NAT on the A.P.
    -Turning off DHCP [server/service] on the A.P. (i.e. Do not assign clients an IP address. Use manual IP addressing, or let the router handle this)
    Try it: Can you ping AP -> Router? Can you ping PC->AP->Router?

ADDED:
    http://support.dlink.com/faq/view.asp?prod_id=1803&question=DWL-2100AP#wb
    PtP Bridge,or AP Repeater..hmm?

Thanks for all your help but still no success. I followed the directions on the dlink website. I upgraded the firmware, but the whole thing still won't work. I think that i will just leave it for a while and retry when i am less frustrated. thanks again

Advertisement