Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Windows Updates

• 25-10-2005 2:17am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭

For the last few weeks I have been having trouble with Microsoft XP Update in the respect that when I install any new updates such as Security patches and the like it fecks up my laptop after I restart. Once installed I restart the laptop as it asks and when it gets to the desktop and starts loading programs and suchlike, up pops an Explorer Program Error message (the ones that say that such and such a program has caused an unexpected error and must close down). Regardless of whether I click Cancel, Debug, or Send Explorer closes leaving me to have to do a System Restore to before I updated.

Any suggestions appreciated.

OTHER than those saying get linux/get a mac as these suggestions will not be entertained and I will hunt you down and seek revenge!:p

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,763 ✭✭✭Fenster

Soundman wrote:
    OTHER than those saying get linux/get a mac as these suggestions will not be entertained and I will hunt you down and seek revenge!:p

pwnd :[

Can I assume you ran the full battery of virus/spyware scans, turned off system restore, etc?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 919 ✭✭✭timeout

try disabling all startup programs as it might be one of them that is having a problem with whatever the update just fixed.

Also try just downloading one updated at a time to see which is causing the problem.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,426 ✭✭✭ressem

Do you definitely have to restore? Can explorer be restarted manually after the other programs have started?

Once the disk stops churning, use CTRL-Alt-Del to start task manager.
    Use the File/run menu item to start
    explorer.exe
    And see if it continues to crash.

If so, try closing down processes one at a time, in case one is causing an issue.

Run an adaware scan just in case.
    Running sfc /scannow from the console to check that no system files are corrupt or missing, before and after the patching.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,385 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

No idea if it would work - but try F8 and safe mode with network support.

it's not really safe mode because junk like Norton still runs
    and you can't add/remove some stuff - prob inc windows updates

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭Soundman

I've no adware/spyware or viruses on my comp. It is only Explorer that crashes and it happens with various different updates. I tried restarting Explorer from Task Manager several times but it keeps coming up that there is an error and it has to close.

• Advertisement
Advertisement