Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Retirement Four-Timer

• 25-10-2005 8:23am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭

You've been given a €100 free bet which must be used on an ante-post fourfold accumulator for NH races in 2006 and the bet must be struck before the end of October. What are your selections?

Take the best price you can find from oddschecker.com (from a bookies, not an exchange). The more speculative your choices, the better. :)

Harchibald - Champion Hurdle - 7/1
    Ashley Brook - Champion Chase - 8/1
    Mephisto - Stayers' Hurdle - 16/1
    Longshanks - Aintree Grand National - 33/1

Accumulative odds: 41,615 / 1
    Possible return: €4,161,500

Obviously, a lot of holes can be picked in these selections (will Ashley Brook and Mephisto be actually aimed at these races, will Harchibald stop being a pussy, etc.) and a discussion of such is most welcome. But it's also a bit of fun and it'll be interesting to revisit this thread next March. If anyone picks even 2 winners, I'll buy you a Starbar.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,757 ✭✭✭masterK

I'd swop Asian Maze for Mephisto, if she stays hurdling I think she is a fantastic ante-post bet at 16/1 for the stayers. I couldn't back Harchibald after last year, It looks as if he needs a flat track. The other two are decent bets at this stage of the season, especially longshanks who will definitely be aimed at the Grand National.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,429 ✭✭✭Morgans

The winner of the grand national will come from the following pair

Marcus du Berlais and Liberthine.

Take your choice....:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,937 ✭✭✭fade2black

I'll be on Hardy Eustace again for the Champion Hurdle, can't be having Harchibald at all. No Refuge for the Stayers...and I wouldn't like to bet against Moscow Flyer either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭Whyno

Inglis Drever for the stayers
    Moscow flyer for the champion
    accordion etoile for the arkle
    best mate to rise back to the top in the gold cup...
    wha ya`s reckon......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭scojones

Champion Hurdle - Accordion Etoile
    Champion Chase - Cloone River
    Arkle Chase - Accordion Etoile
    Cheltenham Gold Cup - HedgeHunter / Kauto Star

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭Crumbs

sjones wrote:
    Wasn't it the great Flyingbolt who won the Champion Chase and then almost won the Champion Hurdle the very next day? As decent as Accordion Etoile is, I don't think he's quite up to that standard. :)

Going back to my own selections, Mephisto would obviously be a doubt to run in the Stayers' when Johnson/Wylie have Inglis Drever and No Refuge for it as well but unless he goes novice chasing, I can't see any other race for him. The Champion is too short. Maybe they'll aim him at Aintree only instead? Asian Maze is indeed a fantastic prospect, as is Ambobo (but who would probably prefer softer than what he'd get at Cheltenham).

Harchibald, to me, looks the only one who could beat Hardy Eustace. Unless Arcalis, Faasel or Penzance improve past my expectations. It's definitely only a hopeful bet on Harchy.

With Well Chief and Azertyuiop out for the season, I had to look for something to put it up to the not-getting-younger Moscow Flyer and Ashley Brook is it. He's such a bold and exciting horse and I think would be able for the 2m5f Ryanair Chase or the Gold Cup itself but I think they may go for the 2-miler with him this season. It's there to be shot at.

As for the National, well as masterK said, Longshanks will be aimed at the race, should make the cut and should have a chance which is more than you can ask for if trying to pick a winner of it at this early stage, despite Morgan's apparent confidence otherwise. :)

If I could have an alternative, I'd chance Fleet Street for the Arkle. He was a very good novice hurdler before missing last season through injury. If he gets back on the track, he could be a decent chaser.

Good stuff, keep 'em coming lads!

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭allin-king

All Cheltenham festival for me:

Missed that (not sure what race he'll run)

Moscow flyer (champion chase, boring selection i now) 6/4

Kicking King (gold cup, another boring one) 5/2

Omuircteagh (supreme novices) 24/1

Off topic but does anyone know if refinement won the other day?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,639 ✭✭✭[nicK]

allin-king wrote:

Off topic but does anyone know if refinement won the other day?

yes, came home well in front..
    in future you can check past results with www.racingpost.co.uk .. although you need to register for free first..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ziggy

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,825 ✭✭✭Healio

Champion Hurdle: Arcalis 16/1
    Gold Cup: Kicking King 5/2
    World Hurdle: Asian Maze 16/1
    Grand National: Jack high 25/1

Outlay: 100 Returns:2,629,900 Profit: 2,629,800

Not bad!!

On a side note anyone know what happened to a horse called UNITED who absolutely hacked up three in a row (at nice odds)?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 687 ✭✭✭sector

Healio wrote:
    On a side note anyone know what happened to a horse called UNITED who absolutely hacked up three in a row (at nice odds)?

Sounds like shes destined for the Champion Hurdle.

http://www.racingpost.co.uk/horses/racing_horse_form.sd?horse_id=625982

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭scojones

sjones wrote:
    Champion Chase - Cloone River
    Cheltenham Gold Cup - HedgeHunter / Kauto Star

Changing The Arkle choice to Racing Demon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,006 ✭✭✭Baggio

theres a thing folks,
    ....if yu placed this bet or a similar one at your local paddy power for lets say cheltenham and got up a four timer - lets say with E50 on..and it accumed to lets say E500,000 because of the odds etc....would Paddy Power actually pay yu that amount out in winnings?..or do they have a local limit per shop?.....just curious as ive sickened myself for the last 2 cheltenhams by backing half a dozen winners each year,.,,fancying em all the weeks before,,,and still not having the ballss to put em in a 4 timer etc...but backing em instead for single bets and they keep winning!!
    Know i shouldnt complain..but....IF i had accumed them 2 years ago would have netted me 220,000 and last year would have netted me 800,000...i just chickened out,,what a mug!!......but as per question...would they have paid me that much for real?? i mean are they legally bound etc?

ciao' amigos./...Baggio

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,937 ✭✭✭fade2black

The limit in Ladbrokes is one million. Go for it man.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 707 ✭✭✭seabee

Morgans wrote:
    The winner of the grand national will come from the following pair

Marcus du Berlais and Liberthine.

Take your choice....:D

How did Liberthine do on Saturday?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 107 ✭✭Redlancer

Brave Inca 7/1 Champion Hurdle
    Fundamentalist 25/1 Gold Cup
    Buena Vista Supreme Novices Hurdle 16/1
    Inglis Drever 5/2 win order of merit title

Buena Vista good bet Cheltenham March ground hard suit him
    Brave Inca year older stronger AP on board blinkers could make all the difference
    Fundamentalist if War Of Attrition is a challenger then this boy is too and at a very price price,super jumper with speed
    Inglis Drever should win this for second year running as has many races to chose from because he is so versatile can run from 2mile to 3mile no problem

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,429 ✭✭✭Morgans

LIberhine ran as well as expected in a hot race on her debut this season. The right type of race for a grand national wannabe. She stayed on from the back when the race was run, but i think she may have nabbed fifth on the line.

Advertisement