Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

TRUE LIES - Misconceptions About Islam

2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 998 ✭✭✭Suff

I'm not sure what you're saying here, how is it different from swapping father for mother which seems to be acceptable ? I'm not sure I understand the point you're making here.

ok if a woman can have more than one husband, she could get pregnant from one of them and they won't know the father until they do some DNA teste. anyway I don't think a man can see his wife with another man can you?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,163 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Shabadu wrote:
    If men and women are regarded as truly equal in Islam, then a woman would be permitted to marry up to four men if she could maintain them and treat them equally.
    Fair point, but I also take Suff's point with regard to paternity.

In other regards such as mode of dress, freedom to move around, freedom to meet who she wants(outside of specified family members), position in society and position in law, women do seem to be lesser in many ways. Even Qadri's statement that a woman as a witness in a murder may be unreliable as "Due to her emotional condition she can get confused", suggests a definite bias in many areas and seems to disregard an individuals skills and temperament in favour of more "traditional", some would say outmoded gender based ideas of male and female.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,163 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Suff wrote:
    anyway I don't think a man can see his wife with another man can you?
    Why should a woman be any different in this? The idea that women will somehow find it easier to accept another woman with her husband is a bit strange TBH.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,659 ✭✭✭Shabadu

Suff wrote:
    ok if a woman can have more than one husband, she could get pregnant from one of them and they won't know the father until they do some DNA teste.
    You can perform In Vitro paternity tests.
    anyway I don't think a man can see his wife with another man can you?

Possibly because men are *allowed* object to what women can and cannot do, whereas a woman may just have to accept her fate. For your information, there is no way in hell i'd ever be anything approaching 'ok' with my future husband having another wife.

Advertisement