Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

LandRover Defender ?

Options
  • 25-10-2005 9:30am
    Registered Users Posts: 958 ✭✭✭

Hey Chaps,

I'm looking to buy a low mileage Land Rover Defender 2.5td. I keep Looking on CBG, Carzone, AutoTrader etc.... not averse to buying in the UK but it seems they're way higher in price for a second hand one over there ?

Any sites or advice really appreciated.

Cheers

Fatboy.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 406 ✭✭bigfeller

Are you looking for a 90 or 110?

I imported a 110 from the UK recently. If you go for the hard top (110) version it's classed as a commercial and the VRT is €50. You'll need to take a couple of flights over and the ferry back (obviously!) but it worked out a lot cheaper than getting one here.

Have a look at the autotrader site and see what the prices are like.

I bought mine from here http://www.liveridge4x4.com/refurbs/refurbs.asp and got quite a bit of work done before I picked it up. Still worked out cheaper than the ones advertised here.

• Registered Users Posts: 958 ✭✭✭fatboypee

I don't really mind either the 110 or 90. Need good seats (3 kids). Does your 110 have seats are they all bench ?? I'm building a house up a large hill and have had many near misses with people driving mad so want reliability and sturdiness...

Got a budget of around 18k (Euro). Saw a 110 on Carzone.ie, 1999, 61k on the clock for 17.5k ?? I check Autotrader.co.uk regularly but they all seem to be made money...

Here there are not many coming up for sale.

Will check out the site, thanks for the post.

Fatboy.

Mine has 2 seats and a cubby box in the front - back has no seats and no windows. Great for hauling gear but not kids! I always said if I had one I'd just strap it to the bonnet! Plenty warm there and (s)he'll love the view!

If you are building a house then you'll probably want a load area separate to the rest so a crew cab sounds like the best option. There's one here http://www.cbg.ie/Car_detail.asp?CBGID=350448&ID=588039&NumPics=1&Make=Land%20Rover&Model=Defender%20110%20Double%20Cab&frmFilter=
    But I think it's out of your price range.

If you are looking at importing a crew cab then I think you are liable for VRT (30ish % of the open market selling price!) but I think you can get commercial tax on them.

Another option is to buy a HT, import it and convert it, but you are entering a tax/insurance minefield.

There are a few message boards and clubs specifically aimed at Landies - you might get better advice there than I'm peddling! :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,598 ✭✭✭ferdi

hey fatboy, good luck with your new purchase, i just hope you do not intend on driving your defender around urban areas. although the defender is far less offensive than most 4x4/suv type vehicals. it has a classic look too :)

Hey,

Thanks for the advice, appreciate it. ITs a little out of my price range really. Could stretch to it possibly...

May email the crew you got yours from and see what they have. The 110 I saw was ideal 5 door so the back area was benched but reasonable comfort for the majority of the kids (naughty ones get relegated)... just got sold before I had the cash together....

Thanks

Fatboy.

• Advertisement

Why not? I have to drive mine around Mon-Fri as I can't afford 2 vehicles and I use it at the weekend for towing and hauling gear.

It's 5 years old and recently passed the DOE test with no problems - emissions were extremely low. I get better milage than some of the mercs/beemers/boy racers on the roads...the only problem with driving in urban areas is the thing has a turning circle of Leinster!

ferdi wrote:
    hey fatboy, good luck with your new purchase, i just hope you do not intend on driving your defender around urban areas. although the defender is far less offensive than most 4x4/suv type vehicals. it has a classic look too :)

Beleive me, if I didn't need one, I wouldnt be buying one ! The house I'm building is 1200 metres up and quite (no, VERY rural).... had one too many near misses with icy roads and deep ditches to take a chance...

Fatboy.

Advertisement