Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Area Information

Options
  • 25-10-2005 10:53am
    Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭

Is there any way to find out about an area before you buy there?

In particular im wondering about Edenmore in Raheny, does anybody know what its like?

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 409 ✭✭Dellgirl

The side of Edenmore near the DART station is fine and really convenient for getting into town. The lower end is a bit kippy. HAve a drive around at night maybe and see what the area gets up to.

• Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭Blue Duck

the end where the shops and the concorde pub, is this the lower end?

is it just kippy or is it rough?

Thanks for your help!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,031 ✭✭✭MorningStar

While Raheny is one of the nicest places on the Northside Edenmore is generally not thought of as part of what many people consider Raheny. Ednemore was one of the most dangerous suburb in Dublin in the 80s. It has somewhat improved but still pretty rough and run down. Generallly from Raheny Road to the river (can never remember it's name) and Tonglagee Road to the rail tracks is dodgy. Anywhere near to the pub and shops should be avoided.
    Now before peopl go nuts I have relatives and friends in that precise area and they admit it has problems but that have no trouble but they wouldn't recommend an "outsider" to move in.
    There is a reason Ednmore is cheaper than the surrounding area. It is also where Roddy Doyle based Barrystown on to give you an idea

• Registered Users Posts: 78,392 ✭✭✭✭Victor

I think check it out for yourself, some areas have much worse anecdotal reputations than actual. Priorswood is generally lumped in with Darndale, but walk through it and its a much leafier area than from looking at a map. And even the few times I've been through Darndale (only a few!) I haven't seen trouble.

In Edenmore, some of the houses around green spaces look very exposed to the weather (open ground, slightly elevated).
    Generallly from Raheny Road to the river (can never remember it's name)
    Santry River (river is an exaggeration :D).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,031 ✭✭✭MorningStar

Victor wrote:
    I think check it out for yourself, some areas have much worse anecdotal reputations than actual. Priorswood is generally lumped in with Darndale,
    Asking for a bit of advise about an area makes a lot of sense especially if you aren't that familiar with the city or even just one side of it. Knowing the reputation of an area is just as valid as what the area is just like.
    Edenmore has a particular bad reputation due to the graffiti that was all around the city in the 80s/90s saying "Edenmore rules OK" . A lot of drug problems in the area too and as I said it is where Roddy Doyle based the Commitments/Snapper/Van on. Not ringing endorsements but there is no way having a look around is really going to tell you much of that.
    Priorswood had a bad reputation all of its own without Dardale but I don't think so much now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭Irish-Lass

Parts of Edenmore are grand, have a few friends that live in it and yes there are some doggie parts but every place in Dublin can say that whethere its Blackrock or Edenmore. I have a friend that lives across from what use to be Iceland and she says they do get trouble with gangs hanging around etc. But further is grand.

I would have thought that it would be Belcamp that gets lumped in with Darndale.....when you think about it Darndale, Belcamp, Priorswood, Bonnybrook, Clonshaugh are all a stones throw from each other

• Closed Accounts Posts: 409 ✭✭Dellgirl

a stones throw from each other

And throw stones at each other!

• Registered Users Posts: 78,392 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Roddy Doyle based the Commitments/Snapper/Van on.
    Wasn't it based around Kilbarrack, where Doyle was/is a teacher?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭GallicProphet

I am obviously biased because I live in Edenmore but It does it for me. Yes it's not Ballsbridge, I give you that, but since I have moved there last year, I havent had a problem with anyone, and when I say none, I mean nothing not even a nasty look or something like that, and I have to say I am definitely as much of an "outsider" as you can get since I am not from Ireland.

Most people around here are salt of the earth, I have a few shops around the corner, to get the paper, and convenience shopping, St Anne's park is 10 minutes cycle away, Dollymount strand is 15 minutes, Raheny DART station is 15 minutes walk and the Raheny village is a little pearl.

Now Edenmore can be rough at times, such as few drug deals and so on, few older generation skangers hanging around but to my own experience they live their own life within their circle of acquaintances and they re not trying not annoy other residents. Kids are actually rather well behaved, playing soccer on the green and such as opposed to throwing stones or whatever.

I would avoid the Edenmore House as it really is on of them tough pubs, but the Concorde is fine, few nice gigs there actually if you like Ska, reggae...

Anyways, I love Raheny to bits and Edenmore was the only accessible ( $$$wise )way of living next to it, and I dont regret my decision.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,575 ✭✭✭raheny red

Kilbarrack is where Doyle based his books on!!

Anyway Edenmore is grand. Don't worry about the gangs around the shops as they have all grown up and don't be there anymore!!

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement