Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anyone see the Amtyville Documentary

Options
  • 25-10-2005 11:43am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,036 ✭✭✭

Anyone watch this last night on Ch4. Actually ruined the whole legend behind it because it just seemed the second couple there (the one the film is based on) was just out to make a buck. A couple of questions remained unanswered but the whole mystery surrounding it was nipped in the bud.
    Shame really.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,255 ✭✭✭TCamen

I didn't see the C4 docu, but I've read enough over the years that pretty much point to gross exaggerations by the Lutzs, for example -- a big heavy door being ripped off the hinges was actually just a flimsy screen door. I'm not sure if the docu covered stuff like that?

A friend of mine is a die-hard Amityville fan so I always argue with her over the validity of the 'true story' element. I like the film series, but never really bought into the truth of it.

I must watch the documentary that's with the R1 set of the first 3 Amityville movies "Amityville Confidential".

• Registered Users Posts: 5,042 ✭✭✭spooky donkey

When a film maker says based on a true story they can just about make any thing they want so long as there is some truth in it. I think i`ll make my own horror film and call it "Nazi undead zombies from hamburg have a hamburger made from allied soilders brains` and say its based on a true story. WW2 did happen, hamburg is a real plave and the allied soilders did have brains. Im not sure if they had hamburgers in ww2 but I can just fudge that part over with disclaimers!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,036 ✭✭✭garred

Agreed... but it's supposed to be a haunted house, I think everyone growing up heard of it. Would'nt take anything on board when it says "based on a true story" but the fact that it was more or less disproved as being a haunted house in real life (regardless of the facts in the film) was a wee bit disappointing. We need more ghosts and demons in this world.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,036 ✭✭✭garred

There's another documentary about the Omen tonight on channel4, think its about various things that happened during the filming. Might be worth a look.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,388 ✭✭✭Kernel

garred wrote:
    Anyone watch this last night on Ch4. Actually ruined the whole legend behind it because it just seemed the second couple there (the one the film is based on) was just out to make a buck. A couple of questions remained unanswered but the whole mystery surrounding it was nipped in the bud.
    Shame really.

I disagree that the mystery was 'nipped in the bud' at all, a lot of strange things happened in that house, which was described by the Lutz family, and by paranormal investigators who checked the house afterwards. Something strange did happen in the house, but Lutz himself has said that the original movie was highly exaggerated, and the new movie was pure bull****.

• Advertisement
Advertisement