Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Female only house allowed?

Options
  • 25-10-2005 11:50am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 425 ✭✭

I looked at a house the other night where there were 3 girls living. Everything seemed fine until they called the next day and said when they called the landlord about the lease he said they could only have girls living there.
    Is this legal?

TIA

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,424 ✭✭✭joejoem

It sounds a bit like they made it up, but as far as I know they can pick and choose who they want to live with them. Even if it was illegal you couldnt really do anything about it, you often see No Rent Allowance accepted on Daft ads, yet this is illegal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 425 ✭✭alantc

I thought of that but I was there for a few hours with them on Monday night and one of them mentioned me to her mother when she called.

I've seen it written on ads before around college but the place is so cheap I'd follow it up if I could do anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,299 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Their house, their rules. Also, some do a female only house, as its less hassle.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,392 ✭✭✭✭Victor

It is legal, but I tend to refuse it here.

Residential property designed for 6 or less people isn't covered by anti-discrimination legislation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 117 ✭✭Newshound

Sounds about as legal as a non-smoking house or a non serial killer house.
    They dont want you to live there, so why would you want to force yourself on them?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 78,392 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Newshound wrote:
    Sounds about as legal as a non-smoking house or a non serial killer house.
    Not quire. The Equal Status Act prohibits discrimination in providing goods and services on the stated grounds (including gender). Accommodation for persons in premises designed for 6 people or less is one of the few exceptions.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,401 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Jaysus , legal or not, you really want to force your way into a house with others that don't want you there ?!!
    Are you new to renting ?!!
    No no no..stay well clear.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,563 ✭✭✭leeroybrown

As Victor says any premises defined as 'small' (less than 6 people) is exempted from the Equal Status Act. You see plenty of landlords who request females only, professional's only, etc. A lot of people don't realise that this is the case and get unnecessarily worked up about instead of concentrating on ringing the next number.

You might be better off without a landlord who is picky about such things.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭GallicProphet

why not start a male only house for yourself bud

Advertisement