Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Tai Chi in Cork city

• 25-10-2005 11:51am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 13

I'm looking for a Tai Chi club in Cork City. Preferably some place where they teach the self defence aspect of the moves.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 Tezcat

I went to an 8 week class in McCurtain St about 4 years ago when I lived in cork, I dunno if its still being run, it was next to that "arty" centre.

Whilst Any of the Tai chi classes I've been to havent focused on the "self defence aspect" they have taught me how to channel my energy and feel very strong and confident, along with learning the form, you can see their practical application in a combat situation, however that is not its way. It helps you become grounded, get mind and body discipline, A Tai chi master is more likely to defuse a combative situation rather than end one. I am not sure if you will find a Tai Chi class that will teach you out-right the practical application, for example defending against a knife or getting out of a strangle hold, for immediate results in this area you might find a strictly self defence clas better.

I would reccomend the Tai Chi for the long haul, it will help u be healthy de-stressed and very strong as you will be able to use your power and energy much more effectively, and given enough time practical application of self defence will come naturally.

I wish you good luck in your search.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 Awesomo

I know the place you mean, will try there. Thanks.
    And I agree with most of your points. I should have mentioned I've been practicing Tai Chi for over 5 years, and practice every day. But my instructor has to take some time away for a few months, so I was looking for somewhere with a similar ethos in the mean time.
    I do Karate for my self defence "needs", but I found it helpful in Tai Chi to get some idea of what a move could be used for. But as you say, we wouldn't be doing chokeholds or knife defence every week. But sometimes! Tai Chi is a lot more effective than most people realise.
    A lot of classes are taught in a "release the butterfly" way, which is a bit too abstract for me, but seems to suit a lot of people.

I agree with you there, it is very effective, I know people who have tried various martial arts and in the end settled for Tai Chi.

definately after 5 years you can see the practical application, and their effectiveness, even after the first year you can easily see how your body is supple in avoidance, fluid and powerful in attack and intuitive in defence, and every move in the form is applicable, I love it... lol I'll stop babbling and leave u at it then, I think the guys name you are looking for is peter, however it was some time ago, recently I had the pleasure of being instucted by his teacher, however I am uncertain as to weather we were talking about the same person.

I am interested in combining Kung Fu with Tai Chi I think both disciplines can benefit from each other, not that they need the benefit ofc..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 Awesomo

Only ever went to one Kung Fu class, years ago. The club had a big emphasis on weapons, and I managed to hit myself in the groin with a nun-chuck. Luckily they were padded!
    Must try kung fu again some time, only this time I'll wear a groin guard.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,608 ✭✭✭breadmonkey

definately after 5 years you can see the practical application, and their effectiveness, even after the first year you can easily see how your body is supple in avoidance, fluid and powerful in attack and intuitive in defence, and every move in the form is applicable

Must. Resist. Urge......

• Advertisement

bad grammar and spelling?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,693 ✭✭✭pma-ire

Awesomo wrote:
    Only ever went to one Kung Fu class, years ago. The club had a big emphasis on weapons, and I managed to hit myself in the groin with a nun-chuck. Luckily they were padded!
    Must try kung fu again some time, only this time I'll wear a groin guard.
    Where did you do Kung Fu? It sounds like the class I was with for a few years?

Must. Resist. Urge......
    Don't repress your self expression!!

This is where you can let it all out!!

Tezcat wrote:
    I am interested in combining Kung Fu with Tai Chi I think both disciplines can benefit from each other, not that they need the benefit ofc..
    Mixing MA's is always healthy!

You would supprised how easy any combination of MA's can be crossed over.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 599 ✭✭✭Cabelo

Remember that some are incompatible... this I have found out. Sometimes if you feel they are working against one another and you can't compartmentalise, it's best to just choose one. :)

• Advertisement

Cabelo wrote:
    Remember that some are incompatible... this I have found out. Sometimes if you feel they are working against one another and you can't compartmentalise, it's best to just choose one. :)
    You can lead to being blinkered to reality then man!

But it depend on what you want :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 silafuyang

Lessons available for Tai Chi Wudang Pai in Cork.
    Taichi sword too.
    E-mail me at silafuyang@yahoo.com.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 Marcelo Archanjo

I am teaching tai chi chuan and kung fu in Cork City, at K2C Martial Arts & Fitness Centre (http://www.k2c.ie).
    The name of my style is Fei Hok Phai, its a Hung Gar branch of kung fu and a Yang style of tai chi chuan.

More information at http://www.archanjo.org

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 282 ✭✭maguffin

A very old thread I notice...however, no harm in having some up-to-date info..
    Check out The Master Ding Academy Traditional Tai Chi here:

http://www.taichiireland.com/Cork_Classes.html

maguffin

Advertisement