Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

more rip off ireland-dash o lime

Options
  • 25-10-2005 12:28pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2

Having recently toned down my drinking habits, I started ordering sparkling water with a dash of lime. Excititng, I know.

Stunned to discover that in several establishments, e.g. in Dublin and Galway they charge between 1.00 and 1.30 for a dash of lime cordial!

I mean seriously.....

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

• Registered Users Posts: 55,519 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

€4.70 for water and lime in Ron Blacks? Jesus....

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 3,816 Mod ✭✭✭✭LFCFan

Lads Lads Lads! If you are so pissed off with the prices (and so you should be). Don't pay it and go somewhere else. When in Café Insane last week (was meeting people outside so went in on the off chance that prices weren't as bad as before) I ordered a pint of Carlsberg. €5.30 they wanted. I looked around and couldn't see a price list so told them they could keep it and walked out. What really annoys me though is that the place was packed and this was only 7:30 on a Thursday evening. As long as people continue to pay those sort of prices, pubs will never kop on and to be honest, why would we expect them to? They are raking it in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 195 ✭✭rondjon

Firstly, that survey is over a year old at this stage.

Secondly, are you really going to believe what Fine Gael are publishing in order to get publicity for themselves?

If you look at that survey, they're claiming that their "campaign" is working- yet there are 7 places where water is more expensive, with 5 less expensive and 29 unchanged.

Hardly a ringing success!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,558 ✭✭✭netwhizkid

TmB wrote:
    €4.70 for water and lime in Ron Blacks? Jesus....

My arm swung forward when i read that, Knee jerk reaction i suppose, I'd simply throw the "Lime water" into Mr. Manager's face after demanding to see him, then politly then him to F**k off and walk out the door. Any fool who pays that should hang their head in shame. Water it falls from the sky here every bloody day.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,005 ✭✭✭mad m

A local pup of mine went mad this August and lowered prices of leading beers to €3.30 and the black stuff to the same and the lesser popular beers to €3. Now for the month of august the pub was packed so the ower is keeping it going,thank god.

Went in one night and didnt realise the prices had dropped,I nearly dropped went I got a Guinness&Miller to be asked for a lovely price of €6.60....Long may it continue.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,958 ✭✭✭✭RuggieBear

high prices keep the riff raff out

ie, students like me :)

mad m wrote:
    A local pup of mine
    name the pub pls?:)

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

mad m wrote:
    A local pup of mine went mad this August and lowered prices of leading beers to €3.30 and the black stuff to the same and the lesser popular beers to €3. Now for the month of august the pub was packed so the ower is keeping it going,thank god.

Went in one night and didnt realise the prices had dropped,I nearly dropped went I got a Guinness&Miller to be asked for a lovely price of €6.60....Long may it continue.

Thats an illusion you know. It's the smoking ban thats keeping the people out of the pubs. Just ask your nearest Vitners assoc member.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,005 ✭✭✭mad m

RuggieBear wrote:
    name the pub pls?:)

No I want to keep the riff raff out....:D

Ah Ruggie you done a fast edit on your previous statement.....sneaky

Right so the local pub is KCR house on kimmage road.

• Advertisement

mad m wrote:
    No I want to keep the riff raff out....:D

Ah Ruggie you done a fast edit on your previous statement.....sneaky

Right so the local pub is KCR house on kimmage road.

lol

yeah...thought it might have been seen as a bit pretentious :)

kcr is unfortunately a bit too far from me:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,558 ✭✭✭netwhizkid

Stekelly wrote:
    Thats an illusion you know. It's the smoking ban thats keeping the people out of the pubs. Just ask your nearest Vitners assoc member.

Wrong, the smoking ban has brought the decent people back into the pubs, don't quote me on it as it was Bertie Ahern who said it. That was the one of the few good things this government did, i don't like them but i will them credit and kudos for it. Just as well to put manners in those arrogant ashtray smelling smokers who loved nothing more than to light up while I (an asthmatic) would be eating or whatever. I just wish they'd go the whole hog and shove up the price to like €20 per 20 pack. Banning them would be useless as organised crime would fill the void as happened in the prohibition of alcohol in America during the 20's and 30's.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

netwhizkid wrote:
    Wrong, the smoking ban has brought the decent people back into the pubs, don't quote me on it as it was Bertie Ahern who said it. That was the one of the few good things this government did, i don't like them but i will them credit and kudos for it. Just as well to put manners in those arrogant ashtray smelling smokers who loved nothing more than to light up while I (an asthmatic) would be eating or whatever. I just wish they'd go the whole hog and shove up the price to like €20 per 20 pack. Banning them would be useless as organised crime would fill the void as happened in the prohibition of alcohol in America during the 20's and 30's.

Sarcasm is lost on you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,031 ✭✭✭MorningStar

netwhizkid wrote:

I quit smoking but to ignore the impact smoking has had on the pub business is al little stupid. Prices have an impact but the smoking ban has had a big instant effect. As for "decent" people returning to the pubs where were thay when smoking was allowed? The did a ton of reasearch before the ban where a load of people said they would go if there was no smoking. They didn't because the majority of pub clients were smokers.
    Putting up the price of fags would have the same effect as a ban with organised crime taking over. The simple approach would be to restrict locations of sale as orgainsed crime can't compete by selling in convenient locations. THe only problem is it may damage local shops. It is all well and good to say get rid of expensive shops and pubs but if you allow big business to take over everything things will get worse

• Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

Wrong, the smoking ban has brought the decent people back into the pubs...

To be honest, they were probably lighting up to counter the effect of having to listen to you...

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

i paid €2.60 for a pint of diluted lime the other day, ****ing rip off bastards.

cant remember name of pub. it's on accross the road from the back enterance of the jervis center.

it's on a corner, and has a coper spiral staircase, anyone know the name?

paperclip wrote:
    i paid €2.60 for a pint of diluted lime the other day, ****ing rip off bastards.

OK why did you pay for it? I am inclined to call anybody who complains after the fact and is compliant as stupid ****ing bastards.

It' not like you needed the drink to save your life, being compliant is the reason it happens. blame yourself first them second.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,762 ✭✭✭WizZard

Because if you order a drink and then refuse to pay for it you can be thrown out of a bar!
    People generally don't like this, especially if their friends are in the bar too.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

This is only a Dublin thing. In Dundalk, the most I ever paid for a diluted orange was 60 cents I think. More often than not, it would be free, expecially if you buy food with it.

WizZard wrote:
    Because if you order a drink and then refuse to pay for it you can be thrown out of a bar!
    People generally don't like this, especially if their friends are in the bar too.
    i got kicked out of the porterhouse in temple bar for this. Refused to pay the extra euro on me beer after 11pm and asked for a pint of tapwater instead:rolleyes: :)

• Advertisement

WizZard wrote:
    Well not legally unless the price is on show which they aren't for a pint or splah mixture. So if it really bothers people ask for the price first and then refuse. This is not rocket science. You will end up a twisted individual if such "rip offs" bother you and you do nothing or say nothing. People run around saying rip off and then accept it, being compliant is the problem not the the businesses. Don't like the price don't buy there and avoid.

Ruggie you can prosecute them for that if you were sober. Did you go back?

nope....they'd have just said that in their opinion i was too drunk and that they reserve the right to admission or some such clap trap.

In other words...no point. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,762 ✭✭✭WizZard

Well not legally unless the price is on show which they aren't for a pint or splah mixture.

Maybe in your world, but in this real world that's a laughable thought.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

RuggieBear wrote:
    nope....they'd have just said that in their opinion i was too drunk and that they reserve the right to admission or some such clap trap.

In other words...no point. :)

But you wanted water, drinking it would help you if you were drunk, :D
    I hope you did'ent go back

Cabaal wrote:
    But you wanted water, drinking it would help you if you were drunk, :D
    I hope you did'ent go back

nope and i never will:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 151 ✭✭Dilly1

Cafe Insane will always be packed, its because the Irish love to act sophisticated, and they think that they are being just that while having a tipple in the Insania Cafe. They make better snobs than the English. plastic snobs. :D

Dilly1 wrote:
    Cafe Insane will always be packed, its because the Irish love to act sophisticated, and they think that they are being just that while having a tipple in the Insania Cafe. They make better snobs than the English. plastic snobs. :D

it will always be packed as there will be no riff raff drinking there

oops....i have already said this above.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 141 ✭✭Hanginthere

In the pub I work some of the scabbier barmen put a pint of cordeal under €1.15 and some put it under a splash which is €0.65. Personally whenever im dropping a drink I just go behind the bar and make it myself for them for free. Prices are bad enough without being charged for a drop or cordeal

Advertisement