Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Removal of small asbestos roof?

Options
  • 25-10-2005 12:53pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭

Hi,
    I have a shed in the back measuring 3m x 12m covered in a old corrugated asbestos-cement roof? It's a flat roof and needs removal as we plan to recover and update the roof. Can anyone recommend any good removal companies in the Dublin area that are licensed for this kind of work?

I've rang 2 Asbestos Removal companies already and 1 reputable company quoted me 1,500 eruo which is too high for 1 days work taking down and removing off site I believe. The other company wanted to do a nixer, and their customer service was slack. ie. didn't really want the work, wud be doing me a favour etc.

any sugguestions please?

thanks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 271 ✭✭ismynametoolong

Be very careful who you allow to remove asbestos ! It is not dangerous in its solid form and provided its not broken up on site . Asbestos must be exported from Ireland for recycling and this makes it expensive . Any asbestos sent for recycling must be double wrapped in heavy duty plastic . I had a small shed with an asbestos roof and drain pipes from the main house replaced and brought the asbestos for recycling to a company in Ballymount ( cant remember the name just now ) I remember it was € 133 Euro for the roof and the piping from 2 semi detached houses so a small roof should be half that if not less .The guys were telling me that there is a lot of cowboys fly tipping Asbestos . Personally i think the onus should be on the house owner to ensure the asbestos is recycled correctly .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭Tomohawk

Thanks for the info, I will look into this solution as well...

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 1,921 Mod ✭✭✭✭karltimber

Be very careful who you allow to remove asbestos ! It is not dangerous in its solid form and provided its not broken up on site . Asbestos must be exported from Ireland for recycling and this makes it expensive . Any asbestos sent for recycling must be double wrapped in heavy duty plastic . I had a small shed with an asbestos roof and drain pipes from the main house replaced and brought the asbestos for recycling to a company in Ballymount ( cant remember the name just now ) I remember it was € 133 Euro for the roof and the piping from 2 semi detached houses so a small roof should be half that if not less .The guys were telling me that there is a lot of cowboys fly tipping Asbestos . Personally i think the onus should be on the house owner to ensure the asbestos is recycled correctly .

can you see if you can getn the name of the company in Ballymount --thx

• Registered Users Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭rooferPete

Hi Tomo,

For what it's worth my advice would be take the quote at €1500.00 while the asbestos sheets are not dangerous to me because I know how to handle them properly I think you have been quoted a very fair price.

I estimate you have 20 sheets 10 foot long, not the easiest to handle, also you are renewing the roof which would raise questions regarding the timbers, also you say the roof is flat which means there is a very good chance the timbers have been weakened by water ingress.

Did the company who quoted you survey the job and are they issuing a certificate of disposal ?

I am asking these questions because asbestos disposal is expensive, usually charged by weight, also the sheets must be double wrapped in 1000 guage polythene and clearly marked as asbestos, hazardous substance.

You will need a van capable of taking the full length sheets or you could be leaving yourself open to a very large fine if the wardens see a load like that on an open trailer.

Advertisement