Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Check out the price of a scone

Options
  • 25-10-2005 1:41pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1

imagine, in one shop it is €1.20 and next door, and i mean literally next door,it is 70c, i mean, its only a scone.......:confused:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,585 ✭✭✭HelterSkelter

Name & shame the shop in question

• Registered Users Posts: 1,465 ✭✭✭TheBigLebowski

The shop shouldn't be shamed. The people who just go in and buy the scone for 1.20 should be shamed. If they didn't buy them for 1.20, the shop wouldn't sell them for 1.20.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭JackieChan

A deli in Heuston station charges €1.65 for a scone. The centra at the top of Stephens lane charges 55cent. Thats triple the cost!!

Now its not comparing like with like but as I pop out for a scone maybe once a week and both premises are close to me, where would I choose to go?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,958 ✭✭✭✭RuggieBear

but how good did they both taste?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 3,816 Mod ✭✭✭✭LFCFan

Exactly. The shops are not the real problem in this country. It's the people. As long as we continue to let ourselves be ripped off, we will continue to be ripped off. In this scone example. If everyone went to the 55c store and nobody bought them in the €1.65 store, they would either reduce their price to match or beat or they would stop selling scones. Seeing as scones are cheap to produce, they will more than likely reduce the price as the scones in the other place are obviously attracting customers and at the end of the day, that's what shops want. More customers. I will accept some margin of difference between supermarkets and convenience stores but when convenience stores themselves are way more expensive then other convenience stores, that's when they are taking the piss.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,437 ✭✭✭JohnC.

Dunnes Stores sell Cuisine De France plain scones for €0.30
    A restaurant in Dublin Airport (can't remember the name) sell what I know is exactly the same product for €1.50. I know stuff in places like that are normally more expensive, but 5 times the price is taking the biscuit (or scone).

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Often it's not the price of the scone that bothers me, but the cost of 2 pats of butter and a portion of jam. I was asked for nearly E2 one day here in UCC, so I left it.

Advertisement