Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Mitsubishi Saloon 2004 bumper

Options
  • 25-10-2005 1:51pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 51 ✭✭

Hey all my mate scratched a new enought car make "Mitsubishi Saloon 2004" car and now the guy wants 750€ for a new bumper but just wondering would he not just get it re spraied.

There is no dent at all in the car but he wants to get a new bumper.

Should it cost that much for a new bumper?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭Squirrel

Do you mean a Lancer?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,180 ✭✭✭Interceptor

He is not entitled to a bumper, just a repair and I would suggest that your mate offers to involve his insurance company and the guards - I know the guards won't be interested but IMHO this guy is pulling the p'iss. A bumper for this car won't cost anything near that price, but if the guy is persistant ask him to produce three written quotes for you to choose from, or offer to have it done at the garage of your choice. It depends on the point of view I guess, if your mate actually damaged it badly and doesn't realise it then the guy might be rightly annoyed or if he hit the car from behind while it was stationary. Bumpers are just that - for bumping.

'cptr

• Registered Users Posts: 2,155 ✭✭✭samo

I had to get a new rear bumper for a Mondeo and it required a complete new bumper and colour coded spray and also new shock absorbers (or whatever it is that is behind the bumper as protection to rear in any case!) as well as fitting. Got it done off a main dealer and cost €600 if thats any indication of price for that type of thing...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,217 ✭✭✭FX Meister

Bumpers are just that - for bumping.

I've heard you say this a few times but bumpers have changed a lot in the last 20 years. These days even a light knock can damage a bumpers appearance. If everyone had your attitude they would just reverse into a spot and keep going until they bumped into the car behind them.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,180 ✭✭✭Interceptor

FX Meister wrote:
    These days even a light knock can damage a bumpers appearance.
    I agree but this doesn't entitle every Tom, Dick or Mitsubishi driver to demand a new one if you accidentally touch their car. It does my nut when someone is inconsiderate and knocks or dents my car and I wouldn't do it to someone else, however if some twonk blocks me into a parking space and I touch his car, marking the bumper, I wouldn't be paying for a new one.

'If everyone had my attitude' they would park well away from inconsiderate langers who might scratch their pride and joy, I don't park by 'feel' but I am the guy who poured yogurt into the heater vents of a Fiesta which was parked AGAINST my Mini, after carelessly tearing one of the fibreglass arches off it.

I would have to see this Mitsi bumper before deciding whether the guy deserved a replacement - it is impossible to make a judgement call over the internet based on someone elses description of 'a scratch' - maybe it was deformed, who knows...

'c

• Advertisement
Advertisement