Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How'd they get my email?

Options
  • 25-10-2005 3:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,885 ✭✭✭

Clubs & societys I didnt join have my email. My lecturers are sending me notes. WTF, really?

The only ppl I gave my gmail address to I think was the SU. Have those bastards given it to anyone they so please?!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,885 ✭✭✭Stabshauptmann

Have I misspelled bastard or is the filter broken? Testing: **** **** **** arse

• Registered Users Posts: 1,465 ✭✭✭TheBigLebowski

Have I misspelled bastard or is the filter broken? Testing: **** **** **** arse

Why wouldn't you be allowed to type bastard?

• Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

I've been on some forums where WTF was filtered... :p

• Registered Users Posts: 1,865 ✭✭✭Syth

You're best best bet is to ask those people where they got your email address. Then ask them to remove it. Some of the following words might help. "Data Protection Act", "Richard Butler".

• Registered Users Posts: 45,594 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

I never used to get spam with my email yet strangely enough the week after joining clubs and socs at freshers week...yep. Spam. Coincidence? I think NOT.

• Advertisement
  • Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,486 ✭✭✭Red Alert

Lecturers are sending you notes? Sounds like a good thing to me, more mornings in bed! They probably got your email off either Blackboard or UCD Connect.

As for the clubs and socs, tell butler where to shove his email list. what an idiot.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,594 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Red Alert wrote:
    Lecturers are sending you notes? Sounds like a good thing to me, more mornings in bed! They probably got your email off either Blackboard or UCD Connect.

As for the clubs and socs, tell butler where to shove his email list. what an idiot.

Who is this Butler chap?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,124 ✭✭✭Jonny Arson

Who is this Butler chap?

Me thinks he's the societies officer.

yep, got it in one. he's basically kisses ass to the C&E and shove everyone else.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,885 ✭✭✭Stabshauptmann

Red Alert wrote:

My gmail address isnt on blackboard or UCD connect.

Tis all very strange, societies is one thing, but a lecturer??!

• Advertisement

maybe you put it on a student adviser's list or on the first year signup form or the like,

• Registered Users Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭pretty*monster

Well, my lecturers have my email address because I filled it out on my tutorial registration cards. So I'm sure that would solve that one.

As for clubs and socs, depends. Did you give them your email address last year?
    Were they running events in conjunction with clubs/socs/su you did give your address to?

There was disciplinary action taken over a society that sold members phone numbers to a night club promoter last year and there were specific warnings given at auditor training this year that anyone passing members contact details to third parties would be caught out and be in serious trouble. Considering that I highly doubt that any auditors would take the chance, especially if it's a campus event and they don't stand to make money out of giving out your details.

That said, it might have happened.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,375 ✭✭✭padser

Bnl gave their database to UCD ents anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 5,016 ✭✭✭Blush_01

One of the reasons not to join B&L then. That's only totally illegal, unless it's for tonight's halloween thing, and in that case, B&L should have done the e-mailing. ENTS have NO right to those e-mail addresses. Nor does Bondi have any right to people's mobile numbers, unless they give them to Conor themselves. Data Protection Acts aren't a game. That's why they were updated. 1988 and 2003, far as I know. Check it out. It might be nice to keep abreast of something that can lead to legal action.

If I get e-mails or texts from a society I didn't expressly give my details to... there's going to be trouble. It's harrassment.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭irlrobins

Can also cost the sender a €3000 fine per unsolicated text/mail..... could bankrupt a soc over night....

Yea! this was my 500th post. I think my name looks good with 3 stars... :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,016 ✭✭✭Blush_01

It was mentioned as a big no-no at the auditor training day. Better not let Richard catch sight of that Padser. It might all be within UCD but the law still applies here... despite how it may seem at times.

Advertisement